AR-15 first time out

Discussion in 'Range Report' started by TheDaggle, Jun 28, 2010.

1. TheDaggle

TheDaggle Member

Finished my AR build yesterday, took it up the mountain this morning! My old man had the bright idea to wear crocs :rolleyes:, so he got fed up with the bugs and the spiny seed pods stuck under his feet and wanted to leave after less than 100 rounds. I'll probably be going back up tomorrow morning and getting more familiar with my rifle, hopefully getting my rounds a little closer to home.
    arrangereportriflepic.jpg
    These are my first 20 shots, 10 at 50yds fiddling with the irons, and ten from 75yds after getting my rear sight more or less dialed in.
    arrangereportfirst10.jpg
    This is my dad's target at about 50yds from a sitting position
    arrangereportdadstarget.jpg
    This my final 20 shots, at about 50yds, from a standing position
    Arrangereportfinal20.jpg

2. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Well, who ever that target was, he isn't happy!!

Looks like a nice shooter!!

3. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Well-Known Member

Congrats on a build well done! It looks like you have a shooter there for sure. Now you'll be wanting to build another.

4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Damn Croc-seeds!

Nice shootin'.

5. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

Haley Jo and grandpa test drove the 6.8 last Saturday and that little girl handled that firearm without any trouble. I figured that the 6.8 would be a good choice for a 10 year old and it's nice to be right for a change. Next trip we start punching holes in paper off the bench, er picnic table.

She also shot the Ruger Mark II for the first time. It was freaky but on the second round the back of the case separated sending a powder flash that hit her on both arms and her right cheek. Needless to say, this did not make her happy. Haley suffered some minor discomfort, although, I had to laugh when she asked me if it went in her. I asked her what she was talking about and she said the bullet. I told her that the bullet went out the other end of the pistol but she still had to look in the mirror on the truck for a hole in her head. Kids, you can't help but love them.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  6. TheDaggle

TheDaggle Member

Aw, poor lass. I was really interested in the 6.8, but ammo looked like it was so expensive I wouldn't really be able to get acquainted with the platform as much as I'd like to. How do you like it?

7. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Daggle,Welcome to the EBR fraternity,and that's a fine rifle you have there.

Nice shooting also.

8. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

We haven't punched any holes yet but as far as recoil goes it very manageable for the granddaughter. I built it on an A4 platform with a six position stock and it fits her nicely.

I'm loading 29.5 grains of H335 behind a 110 grain Hornady V-MAX bullet. Hopefully this will prove to be enough for whitetails.

9. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Great report, great rifle!

10. RugerShootinGal

RugerShootinGal New Member

Very nice AR you built!! Great shooting too!!!:D