AR 15 cleaning

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by Leo2424, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Leo2424

Leo2424 New Member

I'm new to AR15 how often should u clean the AR 15 after shooting it or when???

Attached Files:

2. firedawg60

firedawg60 New Member

I try to clean my after shooting or the next day. I've heard both ways. Some say just shoot and don't worry about. However if it's new, I would recommend, at the least, to run a patch down the barrel before shooting. Good luck.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

Yeah, that's kind of a personal preference.
    I clean everytime I shoot, no exceptions. The AR can go many rounds without cleaning (we have one forum member who says he's up to around 2k with no cleaning)
    But, not many guns are cheap, and if you've paid good money for a good quality rifle, why not take care of it?
    Clean it every time you shoot, or wait until it malfunctions, it's up to you.
    You can throw in an interval if you want, say once a month whether it's been fired or not.

4. Leo2424

Leo2424 New Member

Thanks yeah I def think I will clean my AR after I shoot it. I def want to take care of it since it wasn't cheap lol.

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

That's the way I figure it. Kind of like buying a new car, no reason to not do everything you can to keep it running.

I've never heard of cleaning a gun to death. And it also gives you a chance to check for worn and broken parts.

6. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

That is fine for modern or non collectors but I have seen an antique Colt SA ruined by over cleaning.

7. trip286

trip286 New Member

It's one thing to ruin something like a finish on an antique, but was the Colt SA cleaned to the point of malfunctioning? If so, that's the first I've ever in my life heard of that happening.

Yes, a finish can be completely removed through cleaning, I've actually seen that myself.

8. 1stMarine

1stMarine New Member

At that point its not cleaning, its a botched restoration job. You can't ruin it just by cleaning and oiling. Removal of the petina/ rust is restoration (and frowned upon) not cleaning

Never Forget.