ar 15 caliber size

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by moneymaker17, Oct 7, 2010.

1. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

the best size caliper for an ar 15
    9mm?
    what else are there what is the best.
    i like the 9mm because ammo is not that expensive and has a little kick/ more than .22
    let me know what you think

2. colmustard

colmustard New Member

Hello. Well the AR-15 style rifle is mainly made for 556. or .223 some for 6.5 and there are also conversion kits for .22. what will be the purpose of the rifle I.E. plinking, home defense?

3. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

9mm is a pistol cartridge and as far as I know no one makes a 9mm upper for an AR but it could be out there. Why hump a rifle around if you want to shoot 9mm, get a handgun. Most AR-15 type rifles are chambered for 5.56/.223 caliber ammo although other calibers are becoming popular. As mentioned, .22lr conversion kits or complete rifles are now available for inexpensive plinking and target shooting although .22lr would not be my first choice for HD or SHTF type scenario.

4. 1911Jeeper

1911Jeeper New Member

Just Google Pistol Caliber AR-15 Upper , they come in lots of pistol calibers.

5. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

The 5.56mm/.223 rounds are not very expensive either. Plus, since most are chambered for those, they are more readily available and pricing has some competition. The .22lr conversion kits are easy to find and relatively inexpensive. The 9mm (or any other pistol round) carbines do not have the reach out and touch something ability that the 5.56/.223 rounds have. Jmho. :)

6. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

ok because i rented a 9mm ar 15.
    ok cleared that away...
    what is the biggest caliber you can get legaly?
    what are some pros and cons.
    im just trying to picture what i should get before i get it and want somethin g diffrent

7. russ

russ New Member

How big do you want to go?

There are bolt action uppers available for an AR15 lower that are chambered in .50 BMG.

There is the .50 Beowolf if you want to stay semi-auto and magazine fed.

There is the .300 OSSM that may be the meanest round in an AR15 package.

Then there is always the AR10 family. Starts in .308 (7.62x51 NATO) and I believe can be had in .300 Mag.

So the question is, what do you want/need it to do?

8. canebrake

canebrake New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does that work for ya?

9. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

bacially alls i need it to do is, home defence, and little play like take it out to the farms shooting range and shoot somethings.
    what would you guys sugest for me?

10. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

Just MHO

For home defense get you a 12ga shotgun, for fun down at the farm get a .556 AR15 (I have a Bushmaster M4A3) for me I like shooting 1.5" groups at 200 yards or more can't really get that with a 9mm maybe a real good .22. While I'm here I just happen to have a picture of my Bushy & a couple buddy's

[​IMG][/IMG]

11. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Id stick w/ 5.56 for a versatile, tried and true round that the rifle was designed for. You can buy enexpensive ammo for it or get expensive ammo depending on the task at hand. Sometimes when you deviate from the original platform reliability becomes an issue. In this case 5.56 was the original caliber. Ive heard of people having trouble w/ pistol calibers as well as the larger calibers in the AR platform. Not always but more then 5.56. Theres always exceptions tp every rule. I have a 7.62x39 AR that has worked fine for me but not as well as my 5.56s. If you really want to go w/ a larger round then 5.56 in your AR go w/ 6.8. Its more expensive but the word on the street is manufacturers are gearing up to start producing a better veriety of 6.8 factory loads. Id also suggest a .22 conversion kit to make shooting your AR even less expensive. As for home defense a lot of guys prefer to use 5.56. I know of a couple LEOs that use an AR in 5.56 for HD and others that have the theory of using a pistol for defense until they can get to their AR.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  12. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

ok, well me and my dad only have 1 .22 and 3 shotguns and high power rifles. so id like to get something i can have a little fun with.
    dont get me wrong i can have fun with just about every gun out there :)
    but id like something cool that i can build up and whatnot

13. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Colonel, this poster is someone who is also asking for basic caliber information in another subforum. Your answer will be a bit confusing for him, probably. I understand 556. .223 6.5 .22, but those numbers are a little esoteric for his main question.

I agree: 12-gauge shotgun is the best FIRST firearm for home defense. Then a handgun in 9mm or .45acp. Then an AR-15 in 5.56x45mm (also known as .223 Remington...sort of).

Until you know more basic information, you should keep handgun calibers like 9mm for handguns. .22lr should be reserved for "plinking" (which just means shooting targets and such for fun) or hunting small game from hunting rifles.

14. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I'm going to have to agree with Cane on this one ;)

15. russ

russ New Member

I really think that 5.56 (.223) will do what you're looking for and be the most common and easiest to get parts and upgrades for.

16. Flint Rock

Flint Rock New Member

Every able bodied, responsible, legal adult in this country should be trained with the basic operation of the AR in 5.56 IMO. All those who can afford one and can legally own one should do so. From that point you add different calibers and barrels, but you should start, keep, and maintain a 5.56 model AR.

17. CHLChris

CHLChris New Member

Quoted for TRUTH! .458 SOCOM is really cool and is probably a good 3rd caliber for an AR-15 (.223, then .22, then .458 SOCOM), but .223 is the mainstay.

And I agree that EVERY American who is least bit inclined should maintain one (as long as they agree with me, that is...).

18. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Your origenal post:

the best size caliper for an ar 15
    9mm?
    what else are there what is the best.
    i like the 9mm because ammo is not that expensive and has a little kick/ more than .22
    let me know what you think

I took it as you asking what we thought was the best caliber for the AR15. I responded that I thought 5.56 was the best round for the AR15 due to greater reliability and larger field of use. Did I missunderstand your intended question?

19. moneymaker17

moneymaker17 New Member

sorry for the missunderstanding, i want to buy an ar-15, how ever i dont know what i want to shoot out of it.
    i was asking what would be the best caliber for the gun/ for me to shoot

20. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

And I suggested 5.56 because of its versatility and reliability due to the fact that the AR15 was designed for that round.