AR 15 build

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by CentralFlCracker, Jan 4, 2012.

1. CentralFlCracker

CentralFlCracker New Member

Well I finished a AK 47 build with my son and now he wants to do an AR 15 build. I found a simple Kit for around $ 500 everything included except the lower receiver. What I would like to do is buy the cheaper AR and as funds come available let my son replace the cheaper parts and let him customize it. Good or bad idea? It is AR-15kits.com which I am not familiar with.

2. Gatoragn

Gatoragn Active Member

Palmetto State Armory (PSA) has a good kit available.

Otherwise make sure of the brand of the parts you are buying.

As long as the stripped lower is mil-spec, you should be good to go.

But do your homework on the specs of the barrel and the bolt carrier group, these need to be of high quality.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

I put an AR kit in the shopping cart on PSA's site for just under 700. A little dream shopping. You can see the info on "PSA build to order" thread.

They get great reviews, and they're cheap, that's why I've been thinking about them.

4. Quentin

Quentin New Member

I'd say bad idea. I'd skip the cheapest kits and build a better rifle starting from day one. These kits are cheap because they slap together the cheapest parts and as you get up to speed later you'll find you're paying double to replace them yet still have problems. Why have to replace parts later, you'll just end up putting back together the cheap rifle and trying to sell it for something. Do it right the first time.

Go real slow, research every part you buy and don't be afraid to spend $800 or so for something you'll both be proud of.

Another thought - if you do buy a cheap kit, don't upgrade it, build another AR then sell the first one. You'll avoid putting a lot of work into replacing parts on the first and then someday end up putting those parts back together into a crappy AR that no one will give you anything for.

BTW, I'm not including PSA in with the cheap kits, they do a good job.

The thing to remember here is:

"The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together."

5. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

PSA kits for an inexpensive kit of good quality.

6. danlnga

danlnga New Member

AR Build......sorta

I have just gotten in a Bushmaster 24'Varminter complete upper & the Bushy lower is on the way. I am setting this rifle up for long range - primarily coyote control (but who knows what else as I get familiar with it).
    Two Questions:
    1) I intend to replace the stock trigger with a GOOD single stage - adjustable that I can take down to two lbs or so.. What would your choice be ?
    2) I have already gotten the P.E.P.R. base/ring, now what is your pick for a long range scope. I am thinking the Leupold AR, 4 x 14 x 40 with BDC turret.

Dan............Georgia

7. Seanhagerty

Seanhagerty New Member

Look at the Nikon AR Series, the 4-12X should do you well.

Another good choice is the Bushnell elite 10X.

Either will be plenty of optic for the AR, and wont cost as much as the Leupy.

Sean

8. danlnga

danlnga New Member

Thanks, I will look at them as well. Any ideas on the trigger ? My considerations at this point are: 1) The 3 lb Timney, although it is not adjustable or (2) the Geisselle SSA. Timney $185 vs Geisselle at $280. I have been looking for one of the older Geisselle's that has the 5 or so "notches" built in for adjustment rather than bending a spring arm, but with no luck so far.

Appreciate your getting back.............Dan

9. Seanhagerty

Seanhagerty New Member

I bought a Wilson two stage TTU and installed it. Easiest trigger job you could imagine, a real drop in trigger. It is light and crisp.

I love it, but I know you are looking for a single stage trigger. I have no experience with one, so I will not offer experiences.

10. mjkeat

mjkeat New Member

Geisselle SD3G is a much better trigger than the Timney.

11. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

um Please don't buy a Geissele SSA for $280. They go for $170-180. If you buy direct from them, you get a free hat and some swag and cut out the middle men.

The SSA-E is like $20 more and is about 1# to 1.5# lighter. I'd honestly recommend the SD line, as I really really like the flat trigger bows.

12. Sagetown

Sagetown New Member

My son's friend just finished a 'YMH' build. Never heard of it. Any good?

13. AgentTikki

AgentTikki New Member

mmmm mebbe YHM? Yankee Hill Machining? No personal experience with them, but I heard they make some good stuff, middle of the road type, for good prices. Nothing groundbreaking or innovative.

14. Sagetown

Sagetown New Member

'YHM'; Yep that's probably it. It was stamped on the side, and being the 1st time I'd ever seen it. The weapon looked good, and was solidly built.

15. CentralFlCracker

CentralFlCracker New Member

I ended up going Dal-Ton upper then found out Spike Tactical Manufacturer is 8 miles from my house. So since this is a build and I needed a stripped lower I called Spike after some research and they have a 4 week backorder.