AR-15 Build

Discussion in 'DIY Projects' started by dnthmn2004, Feb 14, 2011.

1. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I blame you guys mostly. I'd look at a picture of a sexy AR and keep repeating to myself, "Thats nice, but I don't need one." Well, I could only take so much. Thanks a lot guys...:mad:

I would like to hope I have the skills to build one from scratch, so thats what I'm doing. I figure if I do the research and do it myself, when something goes wrong I won't need a gunsmith on speed dial.

Starting with an M&P 15 lower to support the locals. DPMS lower kit and Daniel Defense upper are the first things to show up in the mail. A lot of the items I want are back-ordered so this will take longer than expected. Good thing I have time.

Attached Files:

2. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

So my first problem has already arisen. I can't find a Daniel Defense barrel with a 1:9 twist, only 1:7. I've read that a 1:9 is desirable, but will I make a bad decision getting a 1:7? FYI, I won't be shooting any tracer rounds or going full auto.

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I can't really help you but that is a very nice Lower. I am doing a build for the Mrs. She doesn't know yet.

4. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

1:7 might be problematic with lower grain, less than 55, varmint rounds...what barrel length are you thinking of? What types of shooting are you planning on...plinking, longer range 200+, coyotes?

5. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I was thinking between plinking and yotes, no long range for this one.

6. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

1:9 would be the most versatile for those situations giving you acceptable performance across a range of bullet weights from 40-69ish. Anything lighter or heavier may have self-destruct or understabilization issues, respectively. A 1:7 will help on the heavy end of the scale but would most likely take the 40gr option away, either will handle the M193 55gr standard.

7. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Step one complete.

Attached Files:

8. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

The qquality of the machining on the M&P's is awesome. Why don't you check out some of the other barrel makers other than DD? There are a ton of options out there.

9. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I'm open to suggestions. I was just going with DD because of the quality. I can't own one of their rifles, but I can build one as long as the lower is MA compliant. [​IMG]

10. Squirrel_Slayer

Squirrel_Slayer New Member

I am pretty sure J and T sells individual barrels. They only use Wilson Combat and ER Shaw. Nice stuff at an inexpensive price. You can download their catalog online

11. hawkchucker

hawkchucker New Member

jees come down to my neck of the woods and ya can meet the gurus at the shop. If ya want I can send ya a link. These guys build them in thier sleep. It is on the Ri Border and about 50 mins from Boston.Plus they might have the stuff in stock, and they are State troopers.

12. hawkchucker

hawkchucker New Member

Oh ya and what you stocking it with?

13. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Coyotes, pests, and targets. :)

Thats sure is a drive for me. Maybe I'll make my way down there soon.

14. hawkchucker

hawkchucker New Member

15. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I need some input. I'm stuck on what barrel to order. I've decided to go with a .223 mainly because of the availability here in MA. I was looking at a standard barrel with some flip up battle sights or something, but I really don't want to ruin one by pinning a muzzle brake to it, not to mention the available muzzle breaks are slim pickins. So I figure a bull barrel would fix my problem, but I don't want to carry around a brick. Does anyone have a 16" bull barrel on their SUR? Are they unreasonably heavy? I guess if I go this way, I could enjoy some bench shooting as well?

Also, what type of sighting system would you recommend if I have a bull barrel? Is it pointless to put folding sights on if I'm just going to mount a low power scope? This being my first SUR, I can't wrap my head around a dual sighting system.

I could probably answer these questions, but I've been stuck for some time now. Maybe just writing my ideas down will help, but I'm hoping from some input.

16. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

I have 18" BB's on both my AR458 and AR10, the AR15 has a 16" heavy barrel. I wouldn't have any reserves putting a 16" BB on my AR15 as the weight is a non factor for me - target shooting and hunting. My STAG upper had to be NY compliant when I purchased it so it has a pinned muzzle break. It's not ideal but it doesn't bother me much. I would prefer a flash hider but have no desire to change it out just yet.

It's not pointless to have some BUIS - scopes can break and red dots can lose power. If you can fit them on the rails I would invest in some. An Aimpoint or an Eotech lend themselves to this set up by being short and using less rail space. A full sized scope may not leave you the room to fit iron sights.

Are you sure you can own that in MA? :p

17. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Received my stock and charging handle today. Super easy to install (and pin:mad:). I went with the cheapest stock I could find seeing how I had to pin it as soon as I got it. $65 from bravocompanyusa.com. Its starting to look like a SUR now.

Attached Files:

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

My Ninja is stepping up in the world. Well done brother!

19. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

Thank you sir. :)

20. dnthmn2004

dnthmn2004 New Member

I'm super bored so I figure I'll put up some company reviews. I was going to save them until I was DONE, but I'm close enough.

OperationParts.com - First experience with this company. Competitive prices as far as I can tell. Stock is very accurate and up to date. Order was processed and shipped the same day USPS. Received in three days, packaged to survive a 10 story drop, no damage. I recommend these guys and will do business again.

BravoCompanyUSA.com - First experience with this company as well. Prices were competitive but a little high, but they had items in stock that others didn't. Order was processed and shipped next day USPS, three days as well. Fairly good job with packaging considering non-fragile contents.

MidwayUSA.com - Solid and reliable company to buy from as everyone knows. They slacked a little on the shipping comparably. Placed order on Thursday night, account was charged immediately, not shipped until Monday night, will be here tomorrow. Their stock is low and slow with popular items - not much they can do.

DPMS.com - The only reason I bothered with them is I thought they had some items in stock that no one else does. Ordered items from them last Wed (2/16/11). Emailed them last night asking what the heck was going on. Got a phone call today and the guy said they didn't have my shipping address (bull), just my billing address AND they don't have the armorers wrench in stock and don't know when they will be getting any. Last time I do business with DPMS directly :mad:.

I guess I'm going to order an armorers wrench (and maybe other goodies) through operationparts.com today because I'm so impressed with their non-problematic business and speed.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011