Firearms Talk banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I ordered new gas rings, and a extractor kit. I figured it wouldn't hurt anything to replace them. Are have the parts on hand for future use. I am definitely learning a lot from my AR. Ill lube it up real good when I take it out again. And I'm only going to stick with brass.

When I first took it out all I did was put a coat of oil on the BCG with my fingers.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I took my AR out again today. I put on new gas rings. Still waiting for my new extractor kit. I cleaned the gun and lubed it really good. And I stuck with brass cased ammo. And I still had the same issues.

ImageUploadedByFirearms Talk1483301990.521661.jpg

I'll try the extractor. And if it don't work after that, I'm not sure if I wanna sink anymore money into it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
How are you loading the cartridges? Are you pushing the bolt release button or pulling the charge handle back and letting it go?
I always pull back the charging handle when loading the first round.

If the rifle is new,the parts may just need to mate/breakin in order for everything to function correctly.
The extractor has nothing to do with the bolt not closing all the way.

Have you tried using the forward assist to close the bolt?
Something might be out of spec,either the BCG,Upper receiver,barrel extension,etc.

With the upper off the lower,does the BCG travel freely in both directions in the upper?
The gas tube could be mis-aligned,and causing the bcg to get hung up enough to not fully close when loading a cartridge.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Hang in there. I think the extractor will fix the issue.
Let us know how it comes out. I still think it's an extractor issue

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
How are you loading the cartridges? Are you pushing the bolt release button or pulling the charge handle back and letting it go?
I always pull back the charging handle when loading the first round.

If the rifle is new,the parts may just need to mate/breakin in order for everything to function correctly.
The extractor has nothing to do with the bolt not closing all the way.

Have you tried using the forward assist to close the bolt?
Something might be out of spec,either the BCG,Upper receiver,barrel extension,etc.

With the upper off the lower,does the BCG travel freely in both directions in the upper?
The gas tube could be mis-aligned,and causing the bcg to get hung up enough to not fully close when loading a cartridge.

I pull the charging handle. Idk how I can break the rifle in just firing 5 rounds and then the weapon not operating properly. The forward assist will not advance the BCG. I'm pretty sure the gas tube is lined up. My charging handle can still go forward the entire way when I have the problem.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Robert,Does the bcg slide freely forward and backwards by hand? And fully lock into the locking lugs without a cartridge present?
It's hard to trouble shoot a rifle without seeing it,but something is stopping the bcg from going completely forward if you can't get it to move with the forward assist.

Is the brass bent any on the cases that you are trying to shoot? If the bcg cycles fine without a cartridge in it,the ammo would be the next thing to look at.
Your chamber could be really tight on the barrel,and that could cause issues with run of the mill factory ammo.
What brand of barrel are you using?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Robert,Does the bcg slide freely forward and backwards by hand? And fully lock into the locking lugs without a cartridge present?
It's hard to trouble shoot a rifle without seeing it,but something is stopping the bcg from going completely forward if you can't get it to move with the forward assist.

Is the brass bent any on the cases that you are trying to shoot? If the bcg cycles fine without a cartridge in it,the ammo would be the next thing to look at.
Your chamber could be really tight on the barrel,and that could cause issues with run of the mill factory ammo.
What brand of barrel are you using?

The BCG does not move freely, by hand. It actually seems worse after shooting it this time. It fully locks without a cartridge.
I'm using independence 556.
My complete upper is a PTAC from PSA.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
If you bcg doesn't move easily by hand, either the carrier or upper receiver is out of spec or somehow you have a burr on one of the surfaces.
Look at the surfaces of the receiver and the carrier at the areas where the problem is occuring. When you first fired the rifle, a piece of brass may have knicked the inner surface of the receiver somehow.
Did you buy a complete upper? If so, you might contact the company where you bought it and ask them to either fix or replace the upper.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If you bcg doesn't move easily by hand, either the carrier or upper receiver is out of spec or somehow you have a burr on one of the surfaces.
Look at the surfaces of the receiver and the carrier at the areas where the problem is occuring. When you first fired the rifle, a piece of brass may have knicked the inner surface of the receiver somehow.
Did you buy a complete upper? If so, you might contact the company where you bought it and ask them to either fix or replace the upper.

I tried feeling around in the upper receiver I can't find any burs. But the lug part seems a little rough. I'm gonna try to acquire a dremel tool are something. But I have no clue what fittings I should use. And I can't find any 1000 grit sandpaper locally. I got the upper from palmetto state armory. And I email them last week and haven't heard back.

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Just know, once you modify/grind on the bolt of barrel extension lugs, PSA will probably drop any warranty that you have on the upper.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I took my AR shooting again this time to my friends house. In 23 degree weather. We tried his BCG in my gun. It ran flawlessly. We put mine in. And after 4-5 rounds the same problem occured. So we put the new extractor spring kit in my bolt. And it still didn't work. We tried my BCG in his gun and it ran good with new problems. We put the bolt on his bolt carrier and it worked fine. Then we tried to put his bolt on my bolt carrier and had the same problems. So I guess the problem was the carrier. We were both ok swapping BCG so now I have a functioning AR. The end!!! Haha

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
I ran into the same problem with my build. I found that the bolt that came with the nickel boron BCG was defective, the coating seem to put the bolt out of tolerance. I changed to a Stag Arms bolt, using the same carrier, no more problems.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts