Firearms Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently built my first AR. And took it out Sunday. I shot a magazine loaded with only 5 rounds of brass cased 556. I had no problems. I loaded a magazine with steel cased Tula .223 and it fired 3 rounds and on the fourth the bolt didn't cycle the whole way. And it was a pain in the neck to get the bolt back. I had to pry a screw driver in the built and another person at the range pulled the charging handle. I usually wouldn't go shoving screwdrivers into my guns willy nilly but I couldn't take the upper off it was stuck. So what would case this?

Sorry if this subject was already covered. It's been awhile since I've been on the site.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

·
Premium Member
14,764 Posts
I loaded a magazine with steel cased Tula .223 and it fired 3 rounds and on the fourth the bolt didn't cycle the whole way.
On the fourth..... Was the steel cartridge case stuck in the chamber?
Did you lubricate your build?

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
No it was not stuck. But once I cleared that I tried again with the brass 5.56. And I fired one more and the round after that got stuck in the chamber and the bolt didn't close the whole way.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
With so little info I would guess it's chambered in .223 and you shot a 5.56.
Have you checked the extractor spring? If it's weak it will do what you're saying.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure what more info I could give. Other then the weather forecast. Haha. The 556 was independence and the .223 was Tula. I usually have good luck with Tula through my sks.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Forward assist did not help.

Steelfingers, thanks I will try those tips on the video and see if they work.

·
Registered
661 Posts
One thing that would hinder the bolt closing would be that the bit of gas tube sticking out above the chamber could be bent. It can be accidentally pushed over when cleaning, etc.
Remove the bolt from the carrier, put the carrier back in, turn the rifle upside down (with magazine removed, so you can see what's going on).
If the gas tube end has been "tweaked", you will see that the gas tube won't go inside the bolt key easily. You can pry the end of the gas tube over so it's straight again.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I took a look at the gas tube. It looked good from what I could tell. I'll look it over again. And take pictures.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Be sure and keep us updated. Particularly what you have done and what you have found. Pic's are great. This is good for everyone to see a problem identified and fixed.
Even if you've messed with this platform for years, you always see something new.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Winner...winner...chicken...diner......maybe...
Never replaced one, but some say they have to pointed a certain direction. I can't see how that would make a difference. I think it best to go ahead and replace the rings.
watch this
https://youtu.be/BpkzWhoaK04

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Robert,If you built the rifle from different brands of parts,they will all have to get broken in/mated to each other. It's not uncommon to have a few hiccup's with a new build.
Switching from brass cased ammo to steel cased ammo can cause problems on their own. Most steel cased ammo has a coating on the case that can/will cause chambering problems in AR's,and with your rifle being new will only compound the problem since the parts aren't broken in.
I doubt you have a problem with the gas rings. If you can stand the bcg up on the bolt with it fully extended,and carrier doesn't slide downward,your gas rings ae good. If the carrier slides down,then replace the gas rings.

The next time you have to extract a round from your chamber and it is stuck,Don't pry the bcg open!
Put the safety on,stand the rifle up and grab onto the charging handle,then in one swift action,slam the butt of the rifle down on a hard surface-shooting bench while pulling down on the charging handle. The bcg should come open and extract the round that's stuck in the chamber.

Make sure that you lube the rifle very well,it will help the parts break in together,and allow the rifle to cycle like it should.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts