ar 15 ammo???

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by jrl78, Feb 25, 2013.

1. jrl78

jrl78 New Member

Alright guys what ammo should I go with, 5.56 independence or .223 hornaday?

2. Catfish

Catfish Member

Any 5.56 milatry ammo or any 223 ammo should function in it. I would strongly recomand that you do not use steel cased ammo in it though.

3. jrl78

jrl78 New Member

Ya I was just wondering cause I've never heard of independence before but it is 5.56. The hornaday is good but .223

4. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

Its a tought call.
    usually I always prefer 5.56mmm but Hornady is high-end..
    it is likely higher quality than a no name.
    in a pinch I'd go w/ hornady in 223 over the higher loaded no name ammo.

But very tough call I could see the choice going either way.

Which is priced lower?

5. jrl78

jrl78 New Member

I went ahead and bought the independence 5.56. It was a little bit cheaper than the hornaday .223. I'm gonna try to go squeeze off a few rounds here the next week or so. I'll let you guys know how that stuff works out.

6. raf66

raf66 New Member

I'm new to the AR platform but I will add that it's my understanding that you can (or at least should) only shoot 5.56 in an AR chambered for 5.56. An AR chambered specifically in 5.56 will safely shoot 5.56 and .223 rounds whereas an AR chambered in .223 can only shoot .223 rounds safely.

That said, if your looking for plinking ammo I think I'd choose the Hornaday in .223 even if your AR is ok to shoot 5.56. I have shot the Independence 5.56, though, and it consistently went bang.

7. jrl78

jrl78 New Member

The ar I own is chambered for 5.56/.223. I was more worried about the quality of the round and the fact that it is so hard to come by 5.56 in my neck of the woods. I haven't heard of independence rounds before and wasn't sure about the quality of the ammunition. I did buy a couple boxes and will empty some boxes here in a week or so.

8. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

Just a little side note here. I was over at the LGS today, they have that WMD total NiB plated AR for sale. The pin is made to such a tight tolerance we were having a bit of trouble opening her up. Grabbed a Hornaday Zombie max .223 round since it has the plastic tip to avoid marring the finish. With basically little to no force, the round fell into the casing, and spilled out some powder. Now, I know you'll say don't use a round to push the pins, but it was the softest thing after a quick glance around. The amount of force it took to make that head slip into the case was so little, I'm surprised the dam things don't cave in on themselves just during the act of being chambered. I guess I expected more from Hornaday then that for the prices they charge......at least a crimp that can hold up if nothing else.

9. EW1066

EW1066 Member Supporter

Just as a word of caution. Do Not use the stamp on the lower receiver to tell you what your rifle is chambered for. The lower does not determine the cambering. Look at the markings on the barrel. A barrel made buy a reputable mfg will have the chamber/caliber stamped on it.

EDUB

10. jrl78

jrl78 New Member

Wow, no doubt. That has me shaking my head. Hornaday has always been a solid brand in my use uses. Do you think this could have been a "lemon" so to speak?

11. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

I dunno. I have had some Hornaday rounds in other calibers in the past and never seen anything like that. But it got my attention enough to give a little more attention to detail with my rounds in the future.

12. jrl78

jrl78 New Member

@ EW...I almost s##t my pants when you said that. I have a Bush master ar15 stamped 5.56/.223 on the receiver and that is why I figured it would shoot both types. I got it out to check and thankfully it is chambered for both 556/223. Why the hell would they stamp it on the receiver if it wouldn't shoot both rounds?

13. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

AR receivers can also be stamped "multi-cal" The point being the cambering is what counts and if your manual says it can safely fire both then youre good. Check the chamber check the manuals.

14. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton New Member

Cause you can slap whatever you want on the lower, .22 if you so wish. Many of them come with the "multi" stamp to be built as whatever you want. I'd imagine that a factory assembled rifle would be built to accept both. However if it was a used rifle, I'd take more care to inspect it.

15. jrl78

jrl78 New Member

Ahhhh I see, I did check the barrel and it is stamped 3 MP 5.56 NATO 1/9 (twist). What does the 3 MP stand for?

16. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Its probably a B, as in bushmaster and the MP stands for magnetic particle, as in testing.

17. jrl78

jrl78 New Member

Ya it almost looked like an 8 but your right it is probably a B.