AR-15 Ammo

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by XLRAE, Oct 2, 2007.

1. XLRAE

XLRAE New Member

Where is it best to get 1000 rounds (in bulk) cheapest for an AR-15?

2. Bidah

Bidah New Member

Depends on where you are located. You may be able to get them fairly inexpensive locally rather than mail order.

To order them, there are too many places to list. buyammo.com, ammunitionstore.com, ammoman.com, cheaper than dirt.

-Bidah

3. bkt

bkt New Member

Locally, I buy Ultramax from Dick's Sporting Goods which amounts to about $0.22/round (in 150 count packs) after coupons.

Looking online, lots of places are selling .223/5.56 but the cost is up there (unless you want to buy Wolf).

4. matt g

matt g New Member Supporter

5. Tilt

Tilt New Member

Gun shows have been the cheapest I have found. It may not be the best quality, but its good for plinking and having fun.

6. Dgunsmith

Dgunsmith New Member

also try www.proload.com

Pro Load Distributors have great ammo prices and service.

Also a some good prices on Les Baer & Colt firearms. He actually STOCKS Les Baer !

7. BrassMonkey

BrassMonkey New Member Supporter

As of late I have been shooting Silver Bear 62gr in my ARs for "plinking ammo". It is the cheapest I have found locally at under $4/20. It runs great in all my ARs, and seem loaded hotter than Wolf although I have not shot it through a chrono yet to confirm that.

8. RMTactical

RMTactical New Member

Last I checked, AIM had some Prvi 55gr M193 at a decent price (for these days).

I like that stuff.

9. outlawcustoms

outlawcustoms New Member

the only recomendation i have is stay away from Wolf

10. slowryde45

slowryde45 New Member

.223 / 5.56 : Ammunition To Go

Palmetto State Armory

Outdoor Marksman -

Ammunition - Shop Premium & Discount Ammunition at MidwayUSA

Discount Ammunition for Sale - Able Ammo

Also try Cabela's. Cabela's Shop -- Ammunition

And contrary to popular belief....SOME AR's actually like WOLF ammunition. And it's a heck of a lot cheaper for plinking than just about any other brand out there. No guarantees that YOUR particular AR will or will not shoot it with no problems. All you can do is try some and judge for yourself. Best part is...WOLF gives a 100% money back guarantee if you do not like it. ;) I usually keep about 1000rds of Wolf on hand for training, plinking and target busting with friends and family. If you can find some at a decent price, WOLF also sells brass-cased .223 in 75grn. No it is not what I would call MATCH ammo by any means, but it has not caused any problems in any of my AR's, no rounds STUCK in chambers, no MELTED lacquer - as most of WOLF is now Poly-coated (the old WOLF that was lacquer coated had an olive green finish to the shell - the new WOLF is polymer coated and has a grey finish to the shell), no abnormal child births, and no cancer in any laboratory animals :D

11. outlawcustoms

outlawcustoms New Member

Thanks for the info on wolf i might have to give t a try one more time.

12. Txhillbilly

Txhillbilly Active Member

Wolf makes decent ammo. My AR's like the 62gr HP and the 75gr HP Wolf. But they both pattern-not group-the 55gr HP Wolf. What's funny is they both shoot 55gr FMJ Wolf pretty good.

13. rjgnwdc

rjgnwdc New Member Supporter

14. JonM

JonM Moderator

nothing wrong with wolf ammo for plinking. i just wouldnt use it for defense purposes or stockpiling for a zombie invasion. the biggest negatives i have with it is it sticks in the chambers of some of my AR's and getting the spent cases out with the heads ripped off is a b@tch. plus its non-reloadable so i cant save the empties for refilling purposes.