Firearms Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let’s talk about 22lr conversion kits.
I started looking at some dedicated complete uppers a couple nights ago but they are pretty expensive.
What do you guys recommend? Buying a complete upper?... conversion kit?.... or a whole rifle?

·
Banned
55 Posts
in today's money, I had $900 in a Kuel Precision .22lr upper and it was a pointless waste of money. The conversion you can always carry in the thigh pocket of your camera and in 10 seconds, your 223 is a 22lr. The upper is a range-only sort of thing, or you're stuck with only a 22lr rifle in the field. I prefer the versatility of having both calibers available in the field.

·
Supporting Member
12,003 Posts
Rifling
I pondered that idea a few years ago. Did not feel comfortable with a conversion kit in my rifle. "Dirty and concerned about the bore of my good rifles?". And I also did some other research. I might be wrong but at the time as I recall, a 22 conversion upper was not available or compatible with the standard AR-15 Lower. They may have something today??? IMO believe I ended up making the best decision possible. I purchased a S&W MP-15 22 Rifle with the Quad Rail and all. Not really that expensive and that little gun is fantastic and a shooter!
And I can mount any accessory on it I want and of course less expensive to shoot.
I would highly recommend one for you!
Here is a picture of the Model I bought!
S&W M&P 15 22.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rifling
I pondered that idea a few years ago. Did not feel comfortable with a conversion kit in my rifle. "Dirty and concerned about the bore of my good rifles?". And I also did some other research. I might be wrong but at the time as I recall, a 22 conversion upper was not available or compatible with the standard AR-15 Lower. They may have something today??? IMO believe I ended up making the best decision possible. I purchased a S&W MP-15 22 Rifle with the Quad Rail and all. Not really that expensive and that little gun is fantastic and a shooter!
And I can mount any accessory on it I want and of course less expensive to shoot.
I would highly recommend one for you!
Here is a picture of the Model I bought!
View attachment 230702
Thanks Sniper... I first started looking at just a complete upper then noticed the price was about just as much as a S&W 15-22 so might go that route

·
Banned
55 Posts
all you have to do is fire a couple of 223's thru the gun for every 300 rds of .22lr and the residue from the 22lr firing will be burned/blown out of the gun. Theres no compatability problem with the lowers. I've owned half a dozen of the .22 units over the years and buddies have owned as many more. Some have needed a bit of fluff and buff smiting in order to be reliable

·
Supporting Member
12,003 Posts
B9er
Not being contradictory, but residue being Burned and Blown out of the Bore to get the gun back in normal condition is not a good thing IMO!;)
But what ever works for others is fine with me. Their guns!:)

Reactions: Rifling82

·
Banned
55 Posts
it's not that much stuff, from just 300 rds. Dummies who wait 3000 rds to do so are not my problem. If I 'm not going to shoot 300 rds of .22lr and 100 rds of centerfire, i dont bother with a range trip.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Buy a M&P 15-22 and be done with it.
Without going into all the crap of shooting dirty ammo and leading up your gas block issues, I'll just go here.
The twist rate on a 22lr barrel is 1-16, the twist rate on an AR-15 is 1-7 / 1-8 / or 1-9. So, Right off the bat you are over spinning a 22lr bullet, so the accuracy is affected.

If you want to shoot 22lr ammo, buy a gun made for it!

·
Premium Member
6,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Buy a M&P 15-22 and be done with it.
Without going into all the crap of shooting dirty ammo and leading up your gas block issues, I'll just go here.
The twist rate on a 22lr barrel is 1-16, the twist rate on an AR-15 is 1-7 / 1-8 / or 1-9. So, Right off the bat you are over spinning a 22lr bullet, so the accuracy is affected.

If you want to shoot 22lr ammo, buy a gun made for it!
That’s what I’m thinking

·
Premium Member
14,215 Posts
We have a couple of the 15-22 rifles and they are great light weight rifles with the same feel and controls as an AR15. I bridged the receiver rail and fore end rail with a 6" long riser to remove any flex and I can use regular scope rings. I have seriously considered carrying my Ruger 22-45 lite 22lr pistol with the AR if I felt I needed a rimfire companion. Makes a nice package with the red dot and suppressor.

·
Retired
13,579 Posts
Reactions: Rifling82

·
Registered
1 Posts
These guys sell rebranded CMMG parts, good quality, and good prices. I built a 16" upper and put it on a Polymer 80 lower, it's a sweet, light rifle and is accurate and reliable.

https://www.righttobear.com/22LR-parts-upgrades-accessories-s/1873.htm

The S&W .22 is all plastic, and uses proprietary parts. And not that much less expensive than an RTB build.

Tons of info on the Rimfire Central forums.

20201113_165445.jpg

·
Registered
415 Posts
I have had and shot two different AR 15 22 Lr conversions. The first was a Chiappa polymer 22 Lr upper, I will add the mags that came with it are very poor. After I added Black Dog manufactured mags, this upper shot any ammo and was surprisingly accurate. I did have a failure with the upper receiver after a couple of years and 10s of thousands of rounds. That was no big deal, I just took all the parts and put them on a Rockriver stripped upper and after over 7 years and 100s of thousands of rounds, it still shoots very well.
The second was a purpose built for my granddaughter. Aero upper and lower with a Tactical Solutions barrel and bolt kit. This one was a very light weight with the barrel being a SS tube with aluminum outer, and it was a tack driver... very accurate.
There are a couple of AR 15 22 Lr. Conversions out there. But I am not a fan of a kit that only is a bolt and chamber, shooting through a 556 or 223 barrel.
Also if the upper will fit on your AR 15 lower, that is a plus. The Colt, and S&W are complete stand alone guns, the upper will not work on a standard AR.
I very much like being able to use my lower for 22 Lr. or 223 with just an upper and mag change.
CMMG and Core where selling Complete uppers and there are still barrels and bolts from CMMG that make outstanding 22 Lr. AR 15 uppers. And at one time RockRiver arms was listing a 22Lr upper.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts