AR-10 vs. m14/socom 16

Discussion in 'Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion' started by 1911beast, Dec 27, 2014.

1. 1911beast

1911beast New Member

My brother thinks i should get a AR-10 because its more versatile but i like the m14 style of weapons. so what do you guys think for a apocalypse situation which one is better to have and the price limit is 1600 dollars.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

my opinion is get the rifle you really want. getting what i like or what your friend likes is going to mean your going to shoot less be less happy with what you bought and come to dislike your friend for influencing your choice of what you want.

if you really think the world is going to end i would strongly suggest seeking professional medical help.

your personal weapon is not going to win world war 4 or defeat the space ninja zombie army sent by kim jong un from north korea...

i prefer seeing you here posting about how much fun your having rather than sitting in a bunker with reynolds wrap on your head. any modern firearm that functions well you know how to use will get you through any foreseeable realistic emergency situation.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014

3. CardiacColt68

CardiacColt68 New Member

I'd grab the AR10 for its versatility, but like Jon said, if you really love M14's then grab that and shoot the snot out of it. Daryl defeats zombies and bad guys with a bow, so with practice you'll be good with any rifle you love.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

4. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

With your price range, you have 2 options as I see it: A new .308 AR can be had for about 1200 to 1400 bucks, which will leave you a bit of change for ammo, or you can look online for deals for an M14, but be patient. Or get a used M14. If you get an AR type, I suggest you get one that is DPMS cut, as more accessories are available vs. a Armalite or other brand proprietary cut AR.

5. JonM

JonM Moderator

The important part is the magazine style. With ar10 you want a sr25 pattern. Any accessory will have to be confirmed to whatever you get with a ar10. Pain in the boottocks. If it doesn't connect to a rail directly you need to confirm it works with whatever gun you got.

Ar10 are not the plug and play lego set that ar15 are.

6. fsted2a

fsted2a Active Member

Totally agree on that last statement. That is why I suggested DPMS cut. More manufacturers go with that format than Armalite AR10. I have a chart somewhere of .308 AR's compatibility, and DPMS cut leaves the nearest runners up behind, not that I am a big fan of DPMS, but the smaller companies and accessory manufacturers have settled on DPMS.

7. JonM

JonM Moderator

The only non dpms style i would consider is the rra ar10. It uses unmodified m1a mags