Firearms Talk banner

AR-10 build

5K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  dickpalmer 
#1 ·
Question....What is the equivelant Nato round to the .308? For instance, .223 has 5.56. On a CMMG stripped lower, it is marked 7.62, so would it be 7.62X54 or 54R?

#4 ·
Get an upper chambered in 7.62x51, then you can shoot both the 7.62 and .308 rounds. Both seem plentiful.

#8 · (Edited)
.308 and 7.62x51 are the exact same thing
7.62x51 is .308
they are not the same.

308 is not safe to shoot in a 7.62nato chambered firearm. the lead on the throat in the 7.62nato is much shorter than a 308winchester chamber. longer ogived bullets you find in some off the shelf ammo can cause dangerous overpressure levels in a 7.62nato chamber.

its the same difference as 556 and 223 except the civvy version in this caliber is the more versatile chambering.

if you have a 7.62nato and the owners manual doesnt say it is safe to use 308winchester do NOT use ammunition off the shelf for 308winchester in it. stick with 150grain bullets or less. if you reload and want to use heavier bullets in a 7.62nato you need a chamber gage of some sort like the hornady locknload bullet comparator and chamber gage so you can find the proper lead from the ogive.

#10 ·
Isn't the .308 a higher pressure round than the 7.62 meaning you should buy the .308 in order to shoot both? I could be wrong but I thought I read this somewhere just making sure
Same pressure curve. 308 chambers are longer in lead than nato so some hunting off the shelf ammo can cause over pressure from the bullet ogive too far forward coming into contact with the rifling when chambered in a 762 nato gun. You can have a gunsmith cut a nato chamber to 308 spec then its not an issue

#17 ·
I must not have made this clear enough. DPMS told me there is no difference between 7.62X51 and .308 rounds. Not only on their firearms, but all.
knock knock, whos there? com. com who? common sense says if they were the same they would have the same name.

a chevy camero, is different than a chevy camero ss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.