April Fools Day....

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dillinger, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

For those that haven't followed it: Google, the online search super engine, each year on April Fool's makes a "Major Announcement" about a new product they are Beta testing or planning on releasing.

Last year it was a special high speed internet modem that connected to the rest of the world by flushing a special fiber optic cable down the toilet where Google trained servicemen plugged you into their high speed backbone. It was going to be free under BETA testing, but would run several hundred dollors when it went "live". The number of orders from interested people, who couldn't get high speed access where they lived, actually crashed Google's off site server.

Well, this year is no back down from the outrageous

D

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Please close thread.

The link is no longer available -

Thanks,

D

3. Doug1627

Doug1627 New Member

The link still worked when I clicked it.

4. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Huh, no kidding. I just checked it this morning and it was not working. I assumed the joke was over as April 1st has passed but I just clicked it and it is working now..... Stupid internet... LOL

5. Doug1627

Doug1627 New Member

Will they post how many people tried to become a "pioneer"?

6. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

They didn't announce any numbers last year with the toilet bowl internet connection, but they did release a statement that said the the response was something like "Much higher than anticipated" and "Traffic was higher than planned causing problems with our site". I know from published reports they had it hosted off site and the traffic actually dumped the site, so that is no small amount.

I don't know about this year, haven't seen anything yet - but I really enjoy watching their April Fool's pranks because they put so much work into them. If you mine into that "fake" site, you have to go 10 or 12 pages to get to a final page that tells you it's all a joke. They got Sir Richard Branson to do a video promoting it, the founders of Google both did one, it was pretty elaborate....

EDIT: And in additional information "just in" I guess they out did themselves this year and offered a second, somewhat more hidden, practical joke involving Gmail - their own e-mail system.

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/customtime/index.html

Last edited: Apr 3, 2008
  7. GlenJohnson

GlenJohnson New Member

Hey, april fools on Dillinger. :D

8. Doug1627

Doug1627 New Member

LOL. Thats hilarious.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

LOL - to true, to true....

10. fapprez

fapprez New Member

So, I clicked the link and got my laugh. I then took the "Survey" and picked what I presumed to be the worst possible answers, all false of what I thought,(except the guitar hero one as I do rule at that game:)) and to my surprise, I was still qualified to be a pioneer! That was a great joke.

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Soooo, it's April Fool's Day again, and those wacky folks at Google are at it again.

Meet CADIE - The new Artificial Intelligence on line something or other. They do this type of stuff every year. I read that last year's April Fools Joke took over 3 months of planning and programming... I wonder how long this one took....

Got to love their willingness to embrace April Fools with so much work and creative effort....

JD

12. skullcrusher

skullcrusher New Member

Ok, this says nothing while sounding like it is high-tech. Funny.

For several years now a small research group has been working on some challenging problems in the areas of neural networking, natural language and autonomous problem-solving. Last fall this group achieved a significant breakthrough: a powerful new technique for solving reinforcement learning problems, resulting in the first functional global-scale neuro-evolutionary learning cluster.

I bet they have some good parties.:cool:

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

^ I know, it's awesome. They put so much work into each year. Check out the tech page. It's like 8 paragraphs that says nothing while sounding all high tech.

Then you go to Sadie's home page and she is running all sorts of friends and chat and blogs and then she flips out and no longer wants to talk to the love of her life the Doctor that created her because he doesn't understand her anymore.... Very 2001'ish ( The Movie )....

Effing classic. I bet they have a good time over there....

14. gregs887

gregs887 New Member

15. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

JD, it worked for me also.:p I tend to ignore companies who claim they can do something that NASA can't do or hasn't done yet.:rolleyes:

I mean Google can't even run a decent search engine, what makes them think they can go to Mars and set up a functional human colony.

16. iloveguns

iloveguns New Member

gregs That was pretty good. Thanks for the Laugh:D

17. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

That's awesome, I hadn't seen that yet....LOL

"Conclusion: Terminate Relationship".... LMAO!!

Good find Greg!

JD

18. dunerunner

dunerunner New Member

Ah, life on Mars!! Wonder if I could take a 50 BMG?