Approached by Newbs... How to handle it

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Tackleberry1, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Those who know me know there is nothing I love more that the opportunity to introduce new shooters to our sport with the hope of creating not only a shooter, but a pro 2A voter as well.

I think we all recognize that the a fun day with a "bullet box" is far more persuasive than a lecture from a "soap box".

With these goals in mind, despite living in a predominately liberal area, I proudly wear my status as an avid shooter and volunteer RSO openly for all to see and carry that persona in a friendly approachable manner.

Last Sunday I was approached by a neighbor who's total firearms experience could be summed up in one trip to a skeet range 10 years ago. A couple of car break ins ins and 1 home burglary in our neighborhood has his wife worried and she's decided she'd like a gun for home protection.

They are leaning toward a pistol and we've scheduled a day to take them up to the range where I can introduce them the manual of arms for pistols and revolvers, and put them both behind my collection to see what they like.

These are very nice neighbor who are also CA transplants but I'm not sure of their politics... Regardless, it's a chance to create another ally for our side so I'm happy to make the investment.

2. RUG3R44

RUG3R44 New Member

You got two thumbs up from me! Thanks and keep up the good work!

3. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Keep positive, stress safety, don't discuss politics, stress safety, oh, and above all, stress safety.

4. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

And let them have fun!

Thats what I love about the liberals anti gun efforts.
    many moderates who are gun owners may now be turned off from the libs.

Many more gun owners are created, some of which will be anti liberal activists come next elections.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  5. orangello

orangello New Member

Very cool! Remember, take the less-greasy chips for range snacking and leave the cheese dip for the Glock session.

6. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Thanks guys... Yes, I always stress safety and will actually go through the manual of arms and range protocols before we ever get there. I find that Newb's absorb this information much better without having folks down the line popping off rounds.

Once we get to the range we will do a quick refresher, then get down to making sure they have a hell of a lot of fun in a safe manner and hopefully help them decide which platform, "pistol, revolver, DA, SA, or DA/SA", they prefer and are proficient with. ;)

Tack

7. 7point62

7point62 Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

One good outing at the range and they're hooked.

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Follow up in a couple of weeks and see if they would like to go shooting again.

Chances are they would.

9. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

10. CrazedJava

CrazedJava New Member

The "Avoid Politics" is the best advice. No better way to get people to shut their ears then challenge their beliefs. Put a gun in their hands and let them put lead down range. They'll start questioning their own beliefs in time.

11. Rentacop

Rentacop Well-Known Member

The DVD, " A woman's Guide to Firearms " is a great 1 hour introduction . The NRA used to offer it for sale .

12. dango

dango Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Great video.! I've never been to a crowded range other than the military .
    Have taught many to shoot and safety is always No. 1 as it should be..!

13. gwk4667

gwk4667 New Member

14. Rick1967

Rick1967 Well-Known Member

I posted a few weeks ago about my friend that passed away. He was a gun guy too. But his health was so bad that we only got to go to range together once. But we would sit around and show each other our guns. Anyway, his widow is a close friend of my wife. She has asked us to take her out with her 17 year old daughter to teach them to shoot. Her husband wanted to do it. But was just too sick. She wants me to help her pick out a gun for home defense as well. He had only single action revolvers. I dont think that is the best thing for a new shooter to defend themselves with. So I will be taking them out to let them shoot some of my double action revolvers. I have some light hand loads to start out. Then I will work them up to full powered stuff. Of course safety will be the first thing taught.

15. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Rick,

I can't think of a better way to "honor" your late friends memory. Enabling his widow and daughter to see to their own safety in his absence is... IMHO... a very classy thing to do.

You Sir are ACES!

Tack

16. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

So... Today's the day I take my neighbors up to the gun club.

I'll have them watch the video and address the basics at home before we head out.

We'll be starting them on a GSG .22LR 1911

From there we will graduate up to:

CZ75B 9 mm
    Sig 226 .40
    Colt 1911 .45
    Ruger SP101 .38/.357

Trying to reach a buddy to borrow the XD .45 I sold him awhile back so they can experience a "striker" gun as well. ;)

Tack

17. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

kudos to you Tack!:D you're fixing to have two new converts on your hands!:p

Attached Files:

18. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

Actually 3... There son joined us as well and all 3 had a BLAST!

Of course the lady out shot both of em... But that most console no surprise there.

They are headed out shopping for a 12 G pump right now so they've got something at home while they decide/shop for handguns. ;)

Tack

19. 1911love

1911love New Member

Good work Tack! Every time I take a newbie to the range, they ask me on the way home for help in buying their first gun.

20. MaxImpactGuns

MaxImpactGuns New Member

yeah

totally agree on not discussing politics. there are some rare democrats who are actually pro 2A but they're few and far between.