Approach to be a better shooter(aim)?

Discussion in 'Training & Safety' started by Flavor4real, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Flavor4real

Flavor4real New Member

I shot ok, hit the target on 20 yards but noticed last time that some shooters train different. I noticed that they continue to shoot at target in a distance of 5-7 yards, then they movdpe the target a bit further out.

I wanted to see what u guys do to become a better shooter... Thx

2. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I try to stress the basics to my self.
    -Breath control (breathing while shooting is detrimental to good placement)
    -Sight alignment (rarely can someone hold a handgun still enough without practice. I teach students to make a sideways "8" and try to keep the intersecting lines at point of aim.)
    -Trigger control (Dry fire practice helps.)
    - Follow through (Some people release the finger with a jerk. That throws the barrel off the point of aim. Continue pulling the trigger until you settle down from recoil, then release.)

3. shoottohit1

shoottohit1 New Member

It's like the above said it's basics within a concept. It's easier to build muscle memory with a handgun at that range. People tend to not Wana shoot cause they get frustrated that also helps with this since you seem not to miss as much

4. Flavor4real

Flavor4real New Member

Thanks for the info... What about the stand? I always stand with my left foot forward and right back a bit turned outwards. Left hand coverthe bottom of the magazine/grip. Or is this irrelevant cause of each individuals preference..

5. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Slow down. Look at POI on every shot.

What I do is take a hobby punch, and punch

out red stickers. The small red dots are great for

rear sights. This keeps you from allowing the rear sight

to wander as you focus on the target, and lose depth of field on

your rear sight.

6. shoottohit1

shoottohit1 New Member

Stance really dosnt matter it's like you said it's preference. With that said if your a mobile shooter then it comes in to place, then you want one foot slightly in front of the toes forward so you still agile o and knees need to be slightly bent. But if your just a stand up shooter it dosnt matter ya know

7. vincent

vincent New Member

If you have the means, try videoing yourself, you can see the things you do well and what you need to work on. With enough practice, muscle memory will kick in, and your mechanics will become second nature. Perfect practice makes perfect, aim small, miss small, make every shot count...not my words but worth keeping in mind as you train.

8. Flavor4real

Flavor4real New Member

Thanks for the great input guys! I appreciate everything. I got one more point... Some say u supposed to shoot with both eyes open and others say one eye is right. I know u can't say what is right or wrong,.... What made u shoot with one or two eyes?

9. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

For me, I use both eyes.
    When you use one eye, you are forcing muscles in your face to keep the other closed. Try doing that for 450 rounds in one day.

Both eyes open does not require the muscles to tense up.