Appraisal: SACO M14 National Match Barrel

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Steffen84, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Steffen84

Steffen84 New Member

I have a SACO National Match Barrel
    -MFG. Date: 7-1965
    -Magnetic Particle Inspected and Proof Tested.
    -Barrel markings: M P SAK 779 1362 7-65 3251319

I wondered what it might be worth. Just a ball-park range. I have to take it to a gun shop guy I trust, to mount it to something and proove what kind of "group" it produces.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

2. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

3. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The value is completely 100% dependent on the throat erosion and muzzle wear. The lower the number on each, the better.

Post a good closeup pic of the muzzle.
    Post a good closeup pic of the barrel threads at the chamber end.
    Post a good closeup pic of the gas port.
    And post a good close up pic of the chamber end.

4. schaz42

schaz42 New Member

WTH? $50? Maybe back in the early 80's, I have a standard that I bought for 150 still in the tube but that was a steal, they range from 200-300, some people like to think they'll get more but those are still on those auction sites for that reason, the economy sucks and its a buyers market, if you do decide to sell it though let me know,

SSG Abercrombie, William James
    US Army

5. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Attached Files:

6. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Attached Files:

7. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Steffen, you haven't been a member here long enough to post items for sale. Stick around, it doesn't take too long.

8. Steffen84

Steffen84 New Member

M14 Barrel pictures, more

IMG_0420.jpg

IMG_0418.jpg

Here are some more pictures.

9. Steffen84

Steffen84 New Member

Newbee

I Know nothing.

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

It's all good. ;)

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

12. Steffen84

Steffen84 New Member

Saco Match Barrel photo.

Yeah, ur right the photo doesn't look good. I took a few other photos, even some with a flashlight in the barrel at both ends, etc. But I screwed up in the data transfer from the camera, it's a Canon with 10.0 Mega pixels. Once I learn how the frick to use it, I'll be the picture posting fool.

The barrel is really good, I guess. There is just a "vapor" layer of corrosion at the sight end and some at the Breach as well. But it is very very minor. There is no corrosion otherwise. Hey I don't know jack about guns, I'm an Electronic Engineer/Aircraft Mechanic......but I know tolerances, coatings, platings, trepanning, etc.

Bottom line. Amo (I'm going to, ghetto slang) find somebody to screw the barrel onto a receiver and see what the group is. Hopefully within a week or to.

That's it.

13. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

The NM barrels are not chrome lined, so they are susceptible to corrosion. Unfortunately, corrosion degrades accuracy, which is a bad thing because you want a NM barrel to shoot tight groups.

Rather than test firing the barrel, find an M14 armorer near you who can check the TE/MW.

Mounting the barrel will require finish reaming the chamber to headspace with the bolt used. Anyone who wants a NM barrel will not want it if it has been reamed too many times, no matter what the TE/MW are.

The M14 requires skillful fitting. It is not like an AR, unfortunately.

Tell me where you are located and I will try to hook you up with a good armorer nearby.

EDIT- Your locations hows as Colo Springs. Here is someone in Erie that may be able to help you.

Dave Sullivan
    Westwind Rifles
    640 Briggs St.
    Erie, Colorado 80516
    (303)828-3823

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  14. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

He said that the muzzle doesn't look good, not that the photo doesn't look good. Big difference.

15. Steffen84

Steffen84 New Member

Thanks for info

Thanks for the info, as time goes by more knowledgeable people respond. So far the best gun dealer has been Paul and Sue at Paradise Guns, here in C.S. In the last year they bought over $21,000 of guns from us. My mother has been clearing out a guys estate in Limon, Co. We sold most of the "Stack-On" gun cabinets(yeah I know, those aren't "real" gun "safes", but they were securable and new, clean, etc.). All proceeds go to the owner, minus some crumbs for us. My mom does it for the fun, she's retired, financilly set and bored.

Thanks again.
    Joe Steffen

Dave Sullivan
    Westwind Rifles
    640 Briggs St.
    Erie, Colorado 80516
    (303)828-3823[/QUOTE]

16. Steffen84

Steffen84 New Member

Thanks for the info, as time goes by more knowledgeable people respond. So far the best gun dealer has been Paul and Sue at Paradise Guns, here in C.S. In the last year they bought over $21,000 of guns from us. My mother has been clearing out a guys estate in Limon, Co. We sold most of the "Stack-On" gun cabinets(yeah I know, those aren't "real" gun "safes", but they were securable and new, clean, etc.). All proceeds go to the owner, minus some crumbs for us. My mom does it for the fun, she's retired, financilly set and bored.

Thanks again.
    Joe Steffen

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011