Applying for CCW tomorrow (Va)

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by carloglock19, Mar 4, 2010.

1. carloglock19

carloglock19 New Member

Well I finally filled out the paperwork and have a current copy of my training jacket with proof of up to date small arms qualifications. Its only going to cost me 50 dollars not bad for 5 years. I will have to start looking at holster combinations for my 19. Thanks to all the good info in this forum it made it a lot easier!

2. rifleman1

rifleman1 New Member

good luck hope all goes well.

3. collegekid20

collegekid20 New Member

good luck, i'll be applying for mine in january

4. Agent_H

Agent_H New Member

Best of luck and carry wisely!

"An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject"

5. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

6. carloglock19

carloglock19 New Member

That was easy enough: Showed my military ID, raised my right hand, signed form and paid the $50 have a nice day mailed to you in 4-6 weeks. Gorknoids thanks for the link and thanks for all the good advice to all that replied!

7. JoshX3Magazine

JoshX3Magazine New Member

Glad it went well!

Another Virginian here. I actually obtained my permit a few months ago and yes, it wasn't too bad. It's nice being back in Virginia after a few years in another state that required a pain-in-the-butt CCW application process AND required permits to purchase handguns if you didn't have a CCW.

Hope everything goes well for you in obtaining the permit!

Josh

8. EiteCombat

EiteCombat New Member

I'm from VA as well. Just went through that whole process at the end of February. It only took about 2 weeks to receive my permit in the mail. Just make sure you get that thing laminated, it's pretty flimsy.

9. doctherock

doctherock New Member

Good luck with the permit. I currently hold one in Oregon and 4 miles across a bridge is Washington state and they dont accept Oregons permit. Therefore, I get to drive across the river about 40 miles out of the way to get my Washington CCW permit.

10. carloglock19

carloglock19 New Member

Wow thats not a bad turn around time! I will laminate it as soon as I get it thanks for the heads up.

11. carloglock19

carloglock19 New Member

Thanks good luck to you too when you apply for yours! Let me know if you need any info.

12. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

HAH! My Virginia CCW took a long time. 3 days. :rolleyes:

13. carloglock19

carloglock19 New Member

I got my CHP (VA) in the mail today it took 30 days I was expecting to wait the full 45 days. I'm pricing some IWB holsters nothing fancy mainly clip on leather I seen a few Don Humme brand on ebay any suggestions will be helpful. I have to laminate it later on today its a flimsy piece of paper but I'm excited and understand the responsibility that this carries and I will carry wisely and safely. Thanks for all the advice and expertise!

14. EiteCombat

EiteCombat New Member

Congrats on your CHP! :D

The funny thing about holsters for me so far is that I found a cheap little nylon holster that fits my g23, and it is much more comfortable then any other holster i have found so far, including my Bianchi. I carry SOB most of the time so I use something thats soft with a thin profile that doesn't show. I haven't tried some of the expensive ones yet but one of these days I'll give it a go. Find something that fits well and is comfortable, practice drawing from it(unloaded of course) and before you know it you'll be putting on your gun just like putting on your watch in the morning. Stay safe out there.

P.S. Told ya those things were flimsy.

15. carloglock19

carloglock19 New Member

Yeah I laminated that thing ASAP! I looked at the nylon holster as well I'll give it a try and see how that works out for me. Thanks for your experience and advice.

16. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Congrats, Carlo! When are we going shooting?

17. Losov

Losov New Member

You'll have yours before I get mine.

The sheriff in my NC county is against the whole CCW idea, and his office waits the ENTIRE 90 days before they issue. Plus, I can't even buy a new weapon unless I want to burden three of my NC friends to have their signatures notarized so I can get a purchase permit. My VA friends can't believe it, but there you are.

However, I recently went with my VA residing daughter and helped her purchase (i.e., paid for) a Glock 26. Now THAT was a fun day. She is becoming a LEO and I thought we'd be purchasing a BUG. I think the 26 is a little big for this, but . . . kids.

18. carloglock19

carloglock19 New Member

I still havent checked out the range at Superior I've bought a few things from them they have a wide selection. Anytime you are avail I could use some good shooting tips from an experienced shooter. Thanks for the invite!

19. carloglock19

carloglock19 New Member

Thats a little too much to have to do just to purchase a weapon sorry to hear that. Thats awesome with helping your daughter buy a Glock money well spent though good luck to you and with her new career!

20. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

I'm gonn'a hold you to that! I generally go when it's raining, or on the weekends, so if the weather is going to be crappy I'll hit you up.
    What I like about Superior is that within 3 trips, you're family. The people are great, and the range doesn't draw the number of noobs that A&P does at Lynnhaven.
    "Back in the day", we used to use these ranges for military handgun quals as the Oceana range was deemed inadequate, so I've had experience with both for more years than I care to discuss in public. Superior isn't as pretty, but it's much more user-friendly. To cut to the chase, everyone I talk to thinks that A&P is staffed by a bunch of dicks and posers, with a healthy dose of criminals blended in for flavor. And they have had their share of legal problems. Add to that a flash-fire (Inadequate ventilation) that hurt a bunch of people, and my azz ain't found there.