"Apocalypse Man" on the History Channel

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by tallguy130, Jan 9, 2010.

1. tallguy130

tallguy130 New Member

Did anyone else see "Apocalypse Man" on the History Channel this week? Its like "Survivor Man" or "Man vs. Wild" but with a post-SHIF theme. I thought it was a cool idea for a show and would sure like to see them make it a weekly thing but I kind of question how informative it really is.

Any thoughts? If nothing else I got a couple of new ideas for the BOB.

2. Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe

Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe New Member

id love to see it as a weekly. great idea. bring preparation and critical thinking to the public eye.

3. slwarren

slwarren New Member

I caught part of it. I thought it was pretty good. I'm glad they made the guy more of an every day joe, with some basic knowledge and prep, than a guy that was loaded to the gills with gear.

4. canebrake

canebrake New Member

Think I'll check it out. Thanks

5. crossfire

crossfire New Member

I watched part of it; had to turn it off.

Traversing open terrain in broad daylight? Dangerous at best. You can be easily followed back to your safe zone. Why don't I let you do all the gathering and then take if from you?
    No weapons? Ok, but if you run into someone armed with anything, you lose what you have, if not your life.
    Suggesting one goes to a hospital to use the generator and security system? Where does he think everyone will be? Food, electricity, drugs and first aid items will be the first things folks who aren't prepared will go after. All are available there and everyone knows it.
    Going to homes to scavenge food and supplies? Yeah. An invitation to get shot. A restaurant is better or get a phone book and find where local food distributors are. Avoid supermarkets; again, everyone will be there.
    Wasting time finding a radio to broadcast exactly where you are? Absolutely foolish. The instinct for survival should trump any "immediate" need for companionship. The best thing you can become is invisible.

and that is just from the portion I saw.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  6. Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe

ok, so it isnt as well thought out as it could be, but i love the idea and think they shld keep it up. there were a few good tips in there, but like with anything else, you have to wade through all the bs to find the gold nuggets. i think its better than another g.d. "20 whores fighting over a nobody in a mansion" show.... maybe we shld let R. Lee Ermey have a shot at it instead of that guy?

7. dmacken

dmacken New Member

I watched about 5 minutes and that was it. I saw the CB radio setup. When the SHTF I hope nobody sets up a CB radio on channel 9 and then keys the mike open with his tape looping. How the HELL are the rest of us supposed to use channel 9 then! Go to channel 9 in his area and get nothing but his lame recorded message. Can't send or receive anything else. That was all I could take was that one dumb idea that would adversley effect everyone else in the area. Had to turn it off. If I see it again while channel surfing I'll give it one more try.

8. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

I'd be interested in watching just to see what they come up with. Doesn't sound like they came up with much from what you guys have said.

9. tallguy130

tallguy130 New Member

All good points, it does feel dumber the more you think about it. However I still would like the History Channel to pick up the show for a full season.

And for God's sake give the man a gun, its the end of the world for crying out loud!

10. Shooter girl

Shooter girl New Member

I didn't see that one. But there were several good shows on the history channel during Apocalypse week. There was one that followed a family after a global pandemic killed off most of the population. Can't remember what it was called. But it was pretty interesting.

11. Gus556

Gus556 New Member

I feel so bad for people stuck in cities and stuck in suburban areas where resources will quickly run dry.
    To members here, if you are in a "vulnerable" area of downstate NY, Northern Jersey or Eastern Penn. and there is a complete breakdown of society, you are welcome to think of this little valley as a bug out option for ya. If you are or may be interested, PM me and we can discuss it. Dont get stuck in Westchester or Rockland county, for a full tank of gas you could load up your vehicle and family and be here in a couple hours (no speed limit anymore) I am sure Rt. 17 would be pretty clear once you get to Sullivan County.

12. cameronguyton

cameronguyton New Member

I thought the idea of the show was pretty good, at least more realistic than some of the others. I saw it as more of 'what if everyone evacuated' type scenario. It seemed like it was laid out kind of like a video game.

Let's go here. Hey look what I found. Let's go there. Hey look I can use the item I found.

I would like to see it on for a season or two, as long as it's somewhat realistic.

BTW: Has anyone else noticed all the SHTF and Armageddon related shows that's been coming on the History Channel the past few months?

13. hunter Joe

hunter Joe New Member

I thought the part when he made diesel fuel from cooking oil was pretty cool, I'll be a watcher, and I agree, better than watching whores in a mansion.

I don't believe all this hype about 2012, although, I picking up some survival pointers just in case.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  14. m72law

m72law New Member

it was alright...i didnt like the fact that he was breaking into peoples houses...ask me thats a easy way to get dead...quick! but there was one thing he did i thought was pretty cool...lighting the steel wool with a 9v battery...doubt i'll be watching it again..it wasnt anything like it made out on the previews..but what ever is?

15. Wings-ofthe-Luftwaffe

ya, but thats just capitalism. i wldnt say that because the history/natgeo/insert the network you watch is showing alot of apocalypto stuff is any indicator that they know what we do not, but simply as them capitalizing on our hysteria and curiosity as a people. im not trying to discredit 2012 or the idea that there is always a chance of SHTF situation, just that i wldnt let the media get to you. if nothing else all the leftover survival supplies and cool stuff will be on hellacious discount on dec 22nd 2012... if the **** does not hit the fan that is :p

16. crossfire

crossfire New Member

The really stupid part of his CB radio idea is that if he'd simply hike his lame tookus up the stairs and into the emergency room, if the hospital is of any size at all and especially if it has a helipad on the grounds, he'd find a communications system that rivals most police departments.

17. user4

user4 New Member

Saw the show last night. I liked it. I didn't know that trick with the steel wool and 9V battery. That's very useful. Also, I like the whole creation of usable diesel fuel. Tricks I think every man should know.

18. Mark F

Mark F New Member Supporter

I learned the battery & steel wool trick in the Boy Scouts, a very, very long time ago. Most any battery will work if it has a decent charge in it. I've used a Triple A battery several times, works fine. Watch & calculator batteries are borderline at best. They might work once if you are lucky.

19. Hey-you-guys

Hey-you-guys New Member

I thought it was a pretty cool show. I learned the most when he got a map of the underground sewer system and used it to to travel throughout the city.

20. about 90% of the show seemed to be a montage of him just running around, and the whole time im thinking to myself how is he gonna survive so long without ANY sort of weapon...unless you count his crowbar...that he used as a grappling hook to get across a bridge in the middle of the day :rolleyes: its kinda lame that all of the survival stuff he does takes place in a big ol city because thats definitely not the place to be if **** really hits the fan right?? :confused: