Apex Trigger?

Discussion in 'M&P Forum' started by TaterKing, Feb 12, 2014.

1. TaterKing

TaterKing New Member

Love my 2 M&P's but not there trigger. All I want to do its take away the over travel and lighten the trigger pull a bit. Will polishing all the necessary contact points fix this, or do I need to invest in the Apex DAECK?

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

2. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

IMO, it depends. if this is a carry pistol, then no i don't suggest making any trigger modifications. not on any legal basis, but simply because of safety issue. if strictly a range gun, then by all means, go for it and make it more to your liking.

pesronally, for a carry or SD/HD pistol if the trigger was not up to my liking, i would possibly either get use to it, or look at another pistol with a trigger more to my liking.

others may disagree with my opinions, but this is whati happen to believe and suggest.

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Polishing won't do what you want and if done wrong can make your gun extremely dangerous. If you're going to do the apex kit, go with the duty/carry kit.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

4. GunLover528

GunLover528 New Member

Apex trigger is awesome. It's got a glock feel to it. And I love glocks. If u are doing it for your carry gun. I recommend the sheild. It has a much nicer trigger. Iv grown attached to it. Just my $.02

5. gunny91

gunny91 New Member

I have an apex on my standard 40 cal and I wouldn't take nuttin for it

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Firearms Talk mobile app

6. Mouser

Mouser Active Member

I have an M&P shield and the trigger, for me, is good enough as is and I would not change it.

My question is....I also have an M&P Pro Series w/ 5.25 bbl and I find the trigger to be quite good...better than my Glock 35 and Springfield XDm with 5.25" bbl....is the stock trigger on the Pro series different than a standard M&P or is it just that it suits me better?

Attached Files:

7. gunny91

gunny91 New Member

Im not sure honestly a trigger pull gauge could tell u the best cause if im not mistaken the pro series is for competition just like the xds the trigger pull is softer and faster reset

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Firearms Talk mobile app

8. beaglesam

beaglesam Active Member

I have the Apex trigger in both of my M&P's 9 and 45. They made a huge difference in accuracy. They are well worth the money and very easy to install.

9. boringoldfart

boringoldfart New Member

Polishing won't do anything for the over travel and as mountainman stated, if done wrong could really screw things up. I personally would take it to a trusted gun smith and see what he/she suggests. My son put a Apex trigger kit in his SDVE and it now has a better trigger than either of our M&P's.

Cgmta

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  10. jarrodsquito

jarrodsquito New Member

I have the duty/carry in my M&P9. If you are reducing that take up and reducing the trigger weight makes it much closer to a single action and therefore would be more inclined to need the use of a manual safety to reduce the risk of a negligent discharge. This would be ok for a range only gun but for carry I would shy away.

The duty/carry leaves that take up meaning you must make a purposeful motion on the trigger to engage it. This means you can still carry safely without the need for the manual safety.

11. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

Axxe are you saying no modifications as in no trigger kits, or no tinkering on your own? I would agree that I wouldn't want to bet my life on a self done trigger job (polishing and other things), but if it was a drop in trigger kit from a respectable company I wouldn't have any problem trusting it.

12. Franklin1995

Franklin1995 New Member

I believe that the Pro series has a different trigger

13. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter

Just installed the forward set sear Apex Tactical Polymer Trigger replacement in my carry .40 Compact. It's absolutely amazing. If I closed my eyes and pulled the trigger, I wouldn't know if I was pulling a my Glock trigger or the Apex.

I have been nuts about the gun but if I couldn't get used to or break in the trigger I was going to trade in the gun so since I couldn't get used to it or break it in after 4 trips to the range and 600 rounds, I thought for $129 was worth the gamble given so many favorable reviews on the trigger.

After about an hour and a half with gun and video on the kitchen table and I got it done. Now that I know the steps I could probably do it in under 20 minutes but not interested in doing it again! The video was ok, I had to "you tube" a couple of steps that were cut out during the editing of the company video.

A 1/16th inch hex wrench is needed which I luckily found otherwise I would have gone to Home Depot to buy it and walked out with another $200 in stuff like I always do, glad I found one and didn't have to make the trip. I lieu of buying an armors block I took a 2x6 and drilled a couple of holes to handle pushing the pins out.

After some initial dry fire, the difference was extremely noticeable and improved. I installed the lighter of the 2 springs that came with the kit, but felt it was a little soft for duty and carry type work at on 3.5lbs. The 5-pound duty spring was around 4.5lbs on the trigger scale, but more crisp and defined. The kit worked as described and shortened the travel of the trigger. From start to fully depressed, it measured to about a half inch less travel. The shot breaks very early in the initial stroke, which offers little take-up, compared to the factory trigger that breaks at the end of the stroke. As a result, the accuracy improved greatly from the ability to provide a smoother, more consistent trigger pull.

I am looking forward to range time this weekend with the new trigger installed.

14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

Change only the striker block or take the stock one and round off the top side and the trigger will smooth up and make for a good carry trigger.

Look around you tube and you will find M&P improvement videos. The comp kit from apex is sweet but you better have model with a safety and use it. 4lbs and a short reset could get you in trouble.

15. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

pretty much either IMO. this is simply a personal observation, not based on legal reasons or anything other than common sense.

the trigger on many newer pistols, like the Glock and some others is the only safety the pistol has. by lowering trigger pull weight, IMO, you lower the safety factor.

there are many benchrest and target shooters that have rifles with trigger pull weights that are measured in ounces, not pounds, and some don't even have a safety at all, simply because of the rifles application and use. not the type of rifle or trigger i would recommend for hunting or SD usage.

something a gunsmith did to several of my revolvers years ago when he did a trigger job on them. he showed me that by smoothing the internals, but not changing the trigger pull weight, it seemed like the trigger broke at a much lower pull weight, when in fact it didn't. smoother just felt like it was lower in pull weight simply because it was smoother in function.

as this was done on revolvers, i am not sure if it could be done to some of the striker fired pistols or not and acheive the same results as they are different platforms, with different operating parts.

these are simply my observations, opinions and my thoughts on changing trigger pull weights on guns in general.

EDIT: these are simply guidelines i follow and if asked my opinion that i offer. what others do to their firearms is simply their decision to make and need to be fully aware that they are responsible for it's safe function if or when they make modifications to their gun.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  16. Point6liter

Point6liter New Member

This is part of the job I did on my shield

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. gunny91

gunny91 New Member

Well that's the disconecter that's not bad to change it just sucks u have to take off the rear sight

18. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

No up grade is that hard to do and the common sense upgrades hurt nothing BUT be sure you shoot a few hundred rounds to be sure its functionally dependable I like 400 minimum with any pistol. Then decide if you want to change something. Some of use have some finger joint issues that can make a slight light trigger practical BUT some upgrades go beyond practical and can become dangerous.

Here is a good example of what adrenaline can do when a shot was not needed or wanted. Now we all know leo's glock triggers are jacked up even heavier than stock, but still . Watch- [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYYIl3J9sl8[/ame]

19. g17frantz

g17frantz New Member

Older thread but I have the basic apex trigger kit and hands down....so much better thank stock

Attached Files:

20. Beezer

Beezer Member

I am considering having the Apex trigger installed in my M&P. One question that is unclear when I look online. It appears that the Apex trigger has a Glock style safety. Does this trigger safety replace the thumb safety that comes standard on the gun?