Anyway to find the registered state if a firearm?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by thefarmboy21, Mar 11, 2013.

  1. thefarmboy21

    thefarmboy21 New Member

    Just wondering if there was a way to find out wheat state a gun is registered in. As Ohio residents we are supposed to purchase off of Ohio only residents OR have them transferred through and FFL. BUT I just acquired one from a friend who is in fact an Ohio resident, BUT he bout it off a guy at a WV gun show. What's the worst that could happen if I'm carrying it and its checked and turns out to be a different state?
  2. CHLChris

    CHLChris New Member

    None of my guns are "registered." What states have registration? They aren't automobiles!!

    A NICS check doesn't get stored in a database and I hope it never does. That sounds an awful lot like INFRINGEMENT to me.

    I've bought every one of my guns legally, and most with a NICS check, but there is no place a police officer could check the serial # and get any info about me or the gun. Except maybe that it wasn't reported stolen anywhere...

  3. danf_fl

    danf_fl Retired Supporter

    I do not know your state laws.
    But this question should have been brought up before the purchase, not after.

    What you have here is a reason for FFL holders. Even if the private transaction took place between friends legally by fed standards, the use of an FFL holder could have eased your concerns.
  4. c3shooter

    c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

    Legal advice from us is worth every penny you paid for it. In MOST of the US, there IS no registration of ordinary firearms.

    If your friend bought a handgun from another state without going thru an FFL, he has a problem.

    Do you REALLY want to become part of his problem?

    Federal law (18 US Code, Section 922) says you may not acquire a handgun outside your state of residence. IF he bought it when he lived in WV, and brought the gun with him when he moved- not a problem.
  5. 70cuda383

    70cuda383 New Member


    Right. if the firearm cross state lines in the process of a sale, then there had better be an FFL dealer involved. If the firearm crossed state lines in the process of the owner moving/relocating to a new state, and after he became a resident of a new state sold the gun, then there's no need for an FFL to be involved.
  6. thefarmboy21

    thefarmboy21 New Member

    Well to be honest, I asked a friend who owns a LGS and he said I should prolly just leave it like it is....I thought it was strange but figured he knew more than me. I traded some car parts for the gun, so it was too good to pass up. I originally had no intentions on keeping it, but now I've almost decided to hang on to it for a while. It's not thing to keep it at the house and have fun with it once in a while, but I don't wanna carry it and risk getting checked or whatever the case may be, and it come back to bite me. BUT I got it from an Ohio resident and he's an Ohio resident I just don't know who he got it from, just that it was at a local tri-state gun show.