Anyone????

Discussion in 'Glock Forum' started by salty2000, Apr 27, 2013.

1. salty2000

salty2000 New Member

Does anyone have an explanation as to why Glock does not import their .380 ACP model to the USA????

2. Cattledog

Cattledog New Member

Because its a.....ah dam. just realized I was in the glock section. Nevermind. laters :p

3. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

because of a point system started from the GCA of 1968, the Glock 380 doesn't meet the required points in their system to be allowed for importation into the USA.

Walther made changes to the PPK for it to meet the criteria for importation into the USA, the PPK/s IIRC.

4. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

What are these points? I've always wondered why they don't let the .380 in

5. Axxe55

here is some reference to it from Wikipedia.

The 1968 Gun Control Act added a "sporting purpose" test which barred imports of military surplus rifles (a goal of many domestic gun makers) and a "points system" for imported handguns which barred from importation handguns based on penalizing features (short barrels, small caliber, short overall length or height, non-adjustable sights, etc.) believed to define the Saturday night special class of handgun.

6. ShagNasty1001

ShagNasty1001 New Member

Ahhhh makes sense! Thank you

7. readygirl

readygirl New Member

Just got a few of the new SR380s in at the shop. Ruger has that covered. A Glock version would just ugly up our display case.......:D

8. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

Glock could do modifications to get the points to import it, but when you get down to it, it is the same size as their 9mm. In the States not many folks would go for a 9mm sized pistol that shoots .380.

Glock made it for markets where people can't own 9mm handguns because of restrictions to own guns in military calibers.

9. Axxe55

the part i wonder about, doesn't Glock have a factory in the US? and if so why couldn't they make it here and then they wouldn't have to import it.

guns made here in the US, don't have to follow the same point system as an imported firearm does.

10. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Ding, ding, ding! Winner!

11. SSGN_Doc

Back to the part where the US market just wouldn't support a .380 that is that big when there are smaller, cheaper options out there.

12. Axxe55

kinda what i thought after your last post about it. thanks Doc.

13. danolator

danolator New Member

I own several Rugers & a few of them actually look good. But, I depend on my Glocks. They are functionally head and shoulders above the SR series. You like pretty, but I'll trust my life to an ugly old Glock any day!

14. readygirl

readygirl New Member

lol...you got a koolaid mustache.. I work at a range,so its not something i need to ask about. Glocks malfunction, Rugers dont......

15. danolator

danolator New Member

Of course, Glocks get rented about 5/1 over any other range gun. Try cleaning your rental guns once in awhile. Also, in case you didn't notice.....This is GLOCK forum. Take your hate over to the Ruger forum where it belongs.

16. Jagermeister

Jagermeister New Member

I have never seen a Glock .380 (9mm kurz) over here in Germany. We border Austria. Where are they selling the weapon?

17. SSGN_Doc

From what I understand most get sold in Latin America. Brazil and Argentina were listed in one article I read about them. Pretty sure Europe has an abundance of more size appropriate .380s to choose from as well.

18. salty2000

salty2000 New Member

Thanks for all the feed on this topic. I love my Glock along with all my other pistols and I do have one or two of the various makes an models. Some of them I appreciate more than others, but my Glock is reached for more than most. It is a real bummer that they are not able to import them. I would buy one or two just to have them. The Glock model 25 should be an option to the American people who love their Glocks.

19. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

GCA '68 set up a point system for imported handguns. Length, height, locked breach, adjustable sights, target grips (with thumb rest), magazine disconnector, other safety features, etc each had points assigned to them.

The Glock .380's use an unlocked, blowback operation and do not have enough points. Walther mated the PP frame to the short PPK slide and created a new gun, the PPK/S to meet this requirement.

The GLock .380's are popular in a number of Latin American countries as owning a gun in a "military" caliber is illegal. Just like the .38 Super is a very popular caliber in Mexico.

20. drvsafe

drvsafe New Member

So one might ask the question "is there a .380 conversation kit for a Glock?".
    Is there?