Anyone want to help test a firearm inventory app I've developing?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Wolfrage, May 26, 2011.

1. Wolfrage

Wolfrage Vendor

I've got a public beta of an inventory system I've been working on. Its goal is to replace the need for a hardcopy bound book, thanks to the new BATF regs, and provide a large number of features for shooters.

It has been coming along nicely and but I could use more feedback. I should be releasing the next version with Dropbox functionality built in shortly (just need to finish making the timing configurable) and a bunch of other fixed stuff later on tonight or tomorrow (depending on the number of redbulls I have left).

If you're interested in checking it out, you can download it from http://mygundb.com

It runs on Windows, Macs and Linux thanks to being written in AIR.

2. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Sounds great but, unfortunately, all of my firearms are now at the bottom of the Mediterranean after our tragic boating accident. My hard drive, too. :(

3. Jesse17

Jesse17 New Member

What firearms? :confused: I don't have any firearms. :cool:

4. opaww

opaww New Member

I could look it over but don't have any firearms sense the boating accadent.

5. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I didn't make the boat trip, but I lost all of mine in the "Great Fire".

6. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Is the Database encrypted? Integrating an encrypted Database might ease the fears of a lot of firearms owners and business owners.

7. Jpyle

Jpyle New Member

Gary might want to give it a go...he bought all my guns, the ones I didn't lose on the boat trip that is.

8. Wolfrage

Wolfrage Vendor

Actually, yes, I just implemented the beginnings the other day to get them encrypted and now I'm finishing up the initial popup on startup, which should be done tomorrow or this weekend. Once encrypted to your key, there is no way to decrypt it without it. In fact AIR comes with that functionality built in -- it even includes a builtin encrypted storage area that I will be using for the DB storage shortly that means not only is the storage area encrypted so nobody else on your computer can access it unless logged in as you, but the database itself is encrypted separately and no password is ever actually stored for the encryption scheme.

And while I am polishing up the backup to Dropbox section for now, I am looking into converting it over to use OAuth (most of the code is done actually), so no passwords will ever need to be stored to backup to it either.

Nobody is opening the database without your key.

9. Wolfrage

Wolfrage Vendor

v0.75 is out

Seems Adobe had changed something with how versions are handled and it was affecting updates. You may not be able to auto update this version as I upgraded the framework. Please download from My IFS Gun DB | Just another WordPress site if you do not see the auto update kick in when you load your current version. But this should prevent the issue Linux users were having, for the future.

* Emailing firearm stats is enabled
    * Timers for auto backups and update checking is tweaked.
    * Various other things

If you find any bugs, email me at dev@mygundb.com or let me know here!

10. armsmaster270

armsmaster270 New Member

I used to put the firearms I had into a spreadseet

11. Wolfrage

Wolfrage Vendor

While that's one method, unfortunately it can't replace a digital only version. My app is being made to meet the new BATF regs so that C&Rs and FFLs can use it instead of also needing a hardcopy boundbook.

There's a number of other things it can do, like automatic backups locally and to DropBox for example, that a spreadsheet can't easily do, or or at all.

Why not give it a shot to play around with? Check it out and maybe give me some suggestions based on your usage of spreadsheets for this, in case there is something I'm not thinking of. Worst case if you don't like it, your feedback will still help me and some of our fellow enthusiasts out.

12. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I did not look thoroughly on your site but I think that is something you should be touting. Many within the firearms community are security conscious people and knowing this should help to ease the fear of electronic surveillance.

13. Wolfrage

Wolfrage Vendor

The site needs a major overhaul. Good idea!

14. Wolfrage

Wolfrage Vendor

New version released:

v0.77
    * Encryption password option in Settings menu.
    * Main Image can be unset, and is also reset if set image is removed from pictures tab.
    * Tweaks to the backup system
    * More work on the reports, though not finished.

15. Wolfrage

Wolfrage Vendor

New version released:

v0.78
    * Fixed combobox issue where boxes weren't cleared properly when using Add New button after editing a previous new firearm
    * Inventory list can be sorted -- more to be added later
    * Images now copied to Library folder
    * Developer sleep factor divided by half
    * Manual now copied to Library folder

16. freefall

freefall New Member

I guess since I still have my firearms I could try your system, but I'm too technologically inept. Heck I can't even post a picture. And really, I can keep track of my Stevens Crackshot replica and my Daisy Buck without computer assistance.

17. Wolfrage

Wolfrage Vendor

It's being made so it's simple to use -- heck, to install it on your system you just click the Install Now badge on My IFS Gun DB ;) You'd be perfect for testing -- you could very easily give me ideas on how to make things easier, for example, for those not used to storing data in a database.

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  18. Wolfrage

Wolfrage Vendor

v0.80 Released;
    * Serial in Inv list is settable
    * Various picture system fixes
    * Pre-populated Comboboxes fixed
    * Thank You list for donators in About box
    * Random fixes I've forgotten to document
    * I am so tired.

19. Wolfrage

Wolfrage Vendor

v0.81 released!
    * Dropbox now uses UAuth -- no Dropbox password needed anymore
    * Backup runs at start instead of at exit
    * THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    * Added fields: OAL, Country of Manufacture, Suppressor, AOW, SBS, Full Auto, plus a small random note field for each NFA item.
    * Various tweaking

20. Yunus

Yunus New Member

I'm downloading this tomorrow. I like the idea and with a passwordless dropbox it's backed up very nicely.

One question though. Will the fact that I have a current dropbox account mess with this app?