Anyone use scopes by Sun Optics?

Discussion in 'Optics & Mounts' started by priell3, Jun 25, 2012.

1. priell3

priell3 New Member

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Seems they get generally good reviews and sounds like they have great customer service. Generally you get what you pay for though.

3. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

IM not trying to be a ass but there is much better quality out there for just a little bit more , less than $100 . My buddy had a Sun and the guts fell out of it on the first shot with a .223 .

4. priell3

priell3 New Member

I don't think you are being an ass. I asked for honest feedback and I appreciate your reply.

If you can give me links to something better for under $100, please do so.
    I have $100 in Amazon gift cards to play with.

Thanks.

5. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You can check opticsplanet.com. I had a link to a better site but my phone sh!t the bed and I forget what it was. I think C3 gave me the link.

6. priell3

priell3 New Member

7. purehavoc

purehavoc New Member

Alot of people call out UTG as junk but I have had to deal with them on a few issues and they have a 10/10 customer service in my book , they fixed my problem and have not had a issue since . They are getting more and more great respectable products in their product line and as far as Im concerned the scope your looking at is a excellent value for the money. It has a 2 yr warranty and if you have to use it they will take care of you no questions asked , I have a set of those scope rings on my scoped AR, you can take them off and put them right back on and be within 1/4" of zero every time .

8. priell3

priell3 New Member

Scope Arrived Yesterday

First think I noticed was the weight of the box. It came securely packaged from Amazon.

[​IMG]

Contents includes scope with flip up lens caps, scope rings with quick release,
    lens cloth, two batteries and hardware. Everything seems solid and well made.

[​IMG]

Mounting was simple, I tweaked it until I found the best setup for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The optics are clear and bright. I didn't toy much with the red/green lighted reticle feature except to verify that it worked. I'll let you know how it works at the range after I get out and whether it is worth 60 bucks.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  9. DavidN

DavidN New Member

Nice looking set up.

10. n4aof

n4aof New Member

Not talking about UTG or any other specific brand, but....

The problem with nearly all Chinese products is that the companies use (copy) good designs but the companies have virtually NO Quality Control. Such products are typically built in multiple small factories, using parts provided by several different suppliers, and assembled by illiterate peasants (often children). Some of what they build will be absolutely perfect; some will be so-so; and some will be garbage -- all with the same brand name and all imported by the same importer.

Generally for products manufactured in China IF there is any quality control, it comes from the buyer/importer not the manufacturer. The best importers keep a full time representative on site to monitor quality -- the good importers have a rep show up every month or so to check each batch that they buy -- the so-so importers spot check the shipment after it arrives in the USA -- and of course there are the importers who sell products cheaper than others by not doing any quality control but hopefully being willing to swap out a defective product with a good one.

And there is another nightmare for customers - when a product is rejected by the importer's representative, the manufacturer then sells the rejected products to wholesale buyers in China who are supposed to disassemble the product and sell or reuse the parts -- but many of the companies dealing in the QC rejects simply repackage them and sell them online (often through Amazon or eBay).

If you are lucky, you get a perfect product -- if you are unlucky, you get a piece of crap. Look at the reviews on sites that have large numbers (such as Amazon) and notice that there are mostly 5 star and 1 star reviews with almost nothing in between. Many products end up with a 4 star AVERAGE by having mostly 5 star reviews and a smaller number of 1 star reviews from the customers who were unlucky and got one of the bad ones.

11. therewolf

therewolf New Member

Got a pair of Sun brand binoculars, about a year back. Horrid quality.

Finally packed them up in their box, and gave them to

a five-year-old kid as a Christmas toy.

Really, get a better scope, as soon as you lose zero,

the first time. Don't waste your ammo or range time on

attempting a re-zero.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  12. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

A Bushnell Banner 3X9 will run under $100 and have a lifetime warranty. They dont have the greatest glass but they work and have been around for a long time. For a 9mm carbine I would get a shotgun scope which usually have a 50 yard parallax setting and faster rather than finer reticles.

13. locutus

locutus Well-Known Member Supporter

It never ceases to amaze me that anyone would spend $1,000 on a rifle, then put a K-Mart "Blue Light Special" optic on it.

If you can afford $1000 for a rifle, you should be willing to spend AT LEAST $750 on the optic.

I have an old Hensoldt that went through WW2, and today, it has a few scratches and dings in the tube, but the optics and internals are still as good as they were the day it was issued to a German sniper.

Quality glass can outlive you and your children and be handed down to your grandchildren.

14. therewolf

therewolf New Member

What's the saying? Something about avoiding cheap hookers

and cheap optics, both for the same reason...

15. harkersislandnc

harkersislandnc Active Member

Something like Fine ass and glass never come cheap?

16. Biohazard2

Biohazard2 Member

Buy once cry once.

17. Kenneth66

Kenneth66 New Member

On a weapon capable of pin point accuracy , yeah I'll go along with the high end glass , but for 9mm carbine ? He did just fine if the scope holds up . Some red dots are great for a carbine like this . Old tasco pro points come to mind .

18. JTJ

JTJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I have an old Tasco Pro Point I have not used in years. It ate batteries like candy. Even when it was off. My Sub 2000 will be getting a Holosun 503. If I wanted magnification on a 9mm carbine I would mount a Bushnell Trophy XLT 1.75-4X32 shotgun scope with the circle X reticle. I believe it may be available in the Banner line for less money. The Circle gives you fast target acquisition and the X gives you fine sighting. Not illuminated though.

19. FernandoTheCommando

FernandoTheCommando New Member

Bushnell all the way for under $100 or even a used vortex. I wouldnt even look twice at utg or ncstar etc. If i got a utg for free i might throw it on a .22 and thats if i had nothing around. I hate to come off cynical but its a fact that utg makes stuff better served on a pellet or airsoft rifle. I would NEVER rely on any utg product for a home defense rifle or one i expected to maintain zero. Yes, i have tried utg products for the hell of it just to see if they really were a "good deal." A $40 utg red dot literally fell apart after one round of .223. Another utg scope i got for like $60 brand new (think it was a 2-7x or close to that. It fell apart....in the rifle case....carrying it to the range. I tossed it in the back seat of the truck and im pretty sure thats when the glass cracked. Nikons prostaff series can be had for like $139.99