Anyone use Mobil 1 ATF?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by Scratchammo, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I know there are a lot of posts about this already & I've looked them up. I was thinking about using this stuff in my 590 when I get it. Is the action noticably smoother? I've heard Mobil 1 changed their specs, would that be an issue?

2. Poink88

Poink88 New Member

I use Mobil 1 engine oil (I think 10w-50) but read that ATF works well too.

IMHO it should not be an issue.

3. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

ATF is not technically a lubricant. It is a hydraulic fluid. It has some lubricating qualities, but should not be relied upon to lubricate. Synthetic motor oil from Mobil 1, Castrol, Valvoline, etc in 5W-30 or 10W-30 do make very good gun lubricants.

4. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Thanks for the posts but after I opened the stuff my nostrils cried. This stuff smells horrible, I'll use it as my spare tranny fluid.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I am currently doing some testing with metal and saltwater. While I am not ready to release my tests or my findings at this time, I will say that Fluid Film has far exceeded other water protectants and other products designed for metal on metal wear.

JD

6. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

I look forward to your results. It doesn't wreak does it?

7. freefall

freefall New Member

So JD. I see you're up to another self aggrandizing test at your expense to demonstrate your awesomeness to we unfortunate mere mortals. I'm hotching to know the results but am too busy being offended that I didn't have the imagination to do it to appreciate it.;)

8. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

9. maierar

maierar New Member

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Scratch,

We have been using it for almost 6 years at the Academy for the AR-15 Patrol Rifle Instructor Certification School. It is good stuff. Below find our formula. Go to an RC Shop or a Wal-Mart and get you a small gas can smaller the better.

Mix 1 Qt. Of 5 W 50 Mobile #1 Synthetic Motor Oil with 1/2 Quart of Mobile #1 Synthetic Transmission Fluid and you have the finest lube you can buy.
    Just thinking out lowed! It also contains a small amount of detergent that seems to keep the carbon down and also makes the carbon easier to clean off. And that makes a whole Quart and a half of great lube at an inexpensive cost compared to a Quart and a half of normal gun lube $$$$$. If you are going to be using it in extreme cold in the 10 degrees or colder go to the same formula with a lower viscosity.

11. IGETEVEN

IGETEVEN New Member

Thanks Sniper! I will add some Amsoil ATF synthetic to my synthetic oil and give it try on my rifles and handguns, but I will continue to use the Fluid Film for overall lube/coat surface protection. It has become my personal choice of lube/coat surface protection. Hell, I got everybody at the range using it now! :cool:

I don't foresee a contact reaction problem with the use of all three products used together, if so, y'all will be the first to know...besides me! YMMV

12. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

It does have a scent to it that is not normal, but it's not offensive. Plus it's easy to apply to all your parts in aerosol form. Big plus.

It's true. I just can't get enough attention so I spent some more money and decided to destroy some more stuff to test some products and put the facts out there for you folks to decide for yourself . That's the kind of self important attention whore I am. :cool:

JD

13. NGIB

NGIB New Member

New sig line, thanks JD...

14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Hey, the truth hurts...LOL

If that is what everyone wants to believe, you will all be dealt with when I am King, that's all I have to say on this issue. :p

15. NGIB

NGIB New Member

You mean you're not the King???

16. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

So see all sorts of things I have talked about in the Bunker being implemented across the country?? :eek:

JD

17. JonM

JonM Moderator

Personally I wouldn't use atf on any gun its flammable and cumbusts by heat alone. Had a tranny catch fire once cuz of a atf leak. Not worth the risk.

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Okay, since you asked and freefall was kind enough to tie several threads together in one post, here is a little preview.

(1) Bucket with 4 gallons of water
    (80) Ounces of Salt dissolved in the water
    (1) Mora Knife
    (1/Ea.) Plastic bag to get the knives to float and not sit on the bottom

Started on 1/1/2011. Shots from 01/09. 24 hour submersion in salt water with only one coating

Here is a shot of the "Control Knife" with no protection that has been submerged against a bone stock Mora not involved with the test.

And then a shot with an application of Fluid Film sprayed on a Mora that has been submerged the same time in the same type of bucket with the same amount of salt.

This is in 8 days of testing!!

Attached Files:

19. fireguy

fireguy New Member

I know what you are up to, JD. Trying to see if it is worth a salvage operation of the wreckage from the "boating accident".

20. BombDoc

BombDoc New Member

ATF actually works? I'm surprised. From a chemical standpoint, there are friction modifiers in ATf, both organic and sythetic, that one would think would not be helpful. Good to know it's working for you guys.