Anyone use FFFG in their shotguns?

Discussion in 'Blackpowder & Musket' started by Scratchammo, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

As some of y'all might know, I have a .75 caliber smooth bore. The barrel is 24" long & I plan on firing buckshot through it. Is it safe to use FFFG for higher velocity? What size charge is recommended?

2. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

C'mon y'all, anyone?

3. blackdragon

blackdragon New Member

no, the rule is FFG for anything over .50 caliber, shotguns, rifles and muskets. if you use FFFG, you'll blow the gun up, it burns too fast for the projectile to move out of the way before it overpressurizes the barrel.
    it's commonly accepted that you use the same amount of powder as the caliber of the barrel, like .75 caliber is 75 grains of powder.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  4. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

What about 50/50?

5. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

What BS? You will not blow your gun up using 3F. You will most likely get a better burn and not blow your patterns with 2F. I use 1F cannon grade in my Brown Bess. I use a .62 [20 ga.] for smooth gun matches. The 2f does much better than the 3f shooting shot.:)

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You could definitely over charge with 3f. Everything he said is the standard. You could probably use 3f in rifles bigger than .50 but I wouldn't do it in a thin walled smoothebore. Besides bp isn't cheap ,why waste it? Start with the 2f at a charge equal to caliber and you should be able to back it off a bit and get a better pattern. Your shot should be roughly the same volume as your charge.

7. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Where does this 3f super exposive BS come from. Many shooters use 3f in smooth gun matches. I have never seen or heard of a gun being blown up this way. There is a difference in 2f powder. KiK has a much higher pressure in 2f than does Goex. The way powder is compressed or OP wads shot weight all affect presssures. Modern 4140 gun steel is not goin to blow up. :rolleyes:

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It's simple math. Bp is measured by volume not weight. Smaller grain means bigger charge for equal volume of larger grain. A shotshell full of 3f will have more powder in it that a shotshell full of 2f. The gun may not have a catastrophic failure but that doesn't make it smart. And as I previously stated you are just wasting powder.

9. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

You just proved the point right there. Why add to the pressure increase by using the wrong powder?

10. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

No partner you completely missed the point.:rolleyes:

11. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I'll be staying away from you and your flint ignited pipe bomb.

12. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Thats good news Mtn Man you are a rank amature in black powder. I think you got your black powder knowledge from magazines not shooting. Any time you want to compare numbers of State shoots you are registerd in let me know.:(

13. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Actually I'm a black powder range officer with the wachusett mountainmen and I shoot every weekend and at Atleast 6 bp shoots per year as well as build and repair bp guns and attend re-enactments and rendezvous. You my friend would not be welcome on my range. Do us all a favor and go load up a .75 cal damascus barreled smoothie with 75 grains of 3f and pop one off. And remember ball, patch ,powder.

14. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Oh and I've also taught women how to handle black powder though the nra's Women on Target program.

15. blackdragon

blackdragon New Member

I wouldn't. if you're stuck with 3F powder, I'd use it for priming powder.
    I will not be standing around you when you shoot your musket with 3F powder. it might not blow it up now or later, but eventually the higher pressures will damage and eventually blow your gun up. this is like shooting 5.56 in a .223 barrel, the cartridges are nearly identical, but if you shoot the 5.56 in the .223, it's higher pressures will stress the metal of the gun and potentially and eventually make the barrel fail and rupture.

16. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

I should have known a "Rondy" guy.:rolleyes: Who in hell is shooting wrapped iron barrels?:rolleyes: Range officer at Rondy shoot.:D Go ahead spread the old wives tales and run more people away from black powder shooting. :(

17. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

As for the pattern, I could care less. It'd serve more as a blunderbuss anyway. The barrel is rated at around 30,000 psi so I'm not too concerned of it stressing, I'll also only put maybe 90 grains in it at most. I want to use 3f because it fouls less, has a little higher fps compared to the same charge of 2f in my relatively short barrel, & to use it in conjunction with my pistols.

18. blackdragon

blackdragon New Member

amazing, you ask a question and completely ignore what the people with experience are telling you, you deserve a darwin award.

19. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

Sorry to hurt your feelings. I'm curious if using it is typical among guns of the same caliber. I'll refrain from offending you in the future.

20. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

Its good see you know your firearms. These barrels are proof tested with heavy charges of smokless. As you stated the 4140 Chrome Moly barrels can take 30,000 CUPs no problem. Who would think anyone today would sell barrels that would blow up because of the shift in one granulation of powder? :rolleyes: The statement here that a Demascus would blow up, doubtful?;) But who in the hell shoots them anymore? These "Rondy" guys are very poor people to ask about anything that isn't in an old Davy Crockett movie.:rolleyes: