Anyone use a S&W J frame ankle holster?

Discussion in 'Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection' started by KBlue, Sep 5, 2010.

1. KBlue

KBlue New Member

Product: Right Hand Black Leather Ankle Holster For J Frame 2-1/8" Barrel

I started a new job last week, and although I'm still not able to carry in the office, I can lock my weapon in my jeep during the day. Since Ohio requires you to keep your weapon concealed on your person or in a closed container while you're driving, ankle carry is my best bet (my center console is too shallow to make a good hiding place). Anyone have any good j-frame open-top ankle holster recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2010
  2. Dzscubie

Dzscubie New Member

I wore an ankle hoster for two years and even though it was a custom made Alessi I found it to be uncomfortable, hard to draw from, and a constant irritant by it sliding down on my ankle and putting pressure on my ankle bone. If I were you I would explore the use of a good IWB or other type of holster. Also driving with an ankle holster brings a whole new dimension of problems and hazards to the table and if you have a standard transmission it could, and probable will, contribute to the making shifting difficult.

3. KBlue

KBlue New Member

IWB is my preferred method of carry (crossbreed qwikclip). However, my office dress code makes it a pain in the arse to mess around with an IWB rig while sitting in your vehicle*; even one designed for easy on/off like the qwikclip. That being said, the furthest I plan on walking while ankle carrying is from my house to my jeep (which has an automatic transmission). Ankle carry is something I would use strictly for driving. I bought a cheap-o ankle holster just to get a feel for it. I hate the fact that it has a thumb break, but otherwise I am confident I can get to it quickly when I need to.

I've also read that crossdraw is a good option for driving. Any thoughts on that?

*except for casual fridays