Anyone trying to build their ammo base?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by sweeper22, Apr 15, 2012.

1. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

Late 2012 has me concerned. The election alone is enough, and then you factor in the 12/21/2012 "Apocalypse" crowd...kinda seems like a no-brainer to anticipate another severe run on ammunition.

I got into shooting in early 2009. At the time it was tough to get any ammunition apart from 12ga locally. I had to buy most everything online, sift through inflated prices, and wait on lengthy backorder in some cases. Couldn't even land a brick of 22lr from Walmart or similar sources.

Is everyone else kinda expecting what I am?

2. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

It has already started.

3. PlaysWithZombies

PlaysWithZombies New Member

Personally, i don't believe the apocalypse will come on 12/21/12, anyone who has actually studied the mayan culture can tell you that although their calendar ends on that day it doesn't mean that the world is going to end, it merely means that the calendar is going to start again :rollseyes:

That said, i DO believe that there are enough ignorant people out there who do buy into that BS to be concerened.

Luckily, i stocked up on ammo and other provisions long before this bull spit started :D

4. lbwar15

lbwar15 New Member

I am not expecting an apocalypse on 12/21/12. If you really thank about it the calendar was written long before leap year. And did not account for it. That would put us somewhere in 2013. My brother sent this to me a few months ago.

Attached Files:

5. sweeper22

sweeper22 New Member

My point isn't that the 2012 Apocalypse is upon us.

The only point was that fair amount of "sky is falling" folks associated with it will only add stress to the ammo market during an already stressed period (elections).

6. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Yes, indeed. No sense wondering which direction the wind is blowing in a hurricane.

7. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Good point, our calendar ends every December, that doesnt mean the earth explodes every 12 months.

8. winds-of-change

winds-of-change The Balota's Staff Member

Okay.........I'm going to make it a point to stock up on ammo little by little. It gets pretty pricey to buy several boxes at once. :(

9. Ranger-6

Ranger-6 New Member

I have an ammo can assigned to each of my guns, and each can is topped off with the specific caliber. If I take ammo from any can to shoot at the range, I make it a point to resupply that amount. As a basic rule each can remains full, and the inventory does not drop below the capacity of the can.

Attached Files:

10. PanBaccha

PanBaccha New Member

Same here. A thousand bullets for each military ammo can.

11. BallisticSurgeon

BallisticSurgeon New Member

I also have ammo cans dedicated to certain calibers. I have an excel spreadsheet for my inventory numbers for amount on hand, replace when below numbers and over all goal numbers. Im not at my goal numbers for everything but I am working towards it and the inventory list helps me keep track of what I have and need.

12. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Ammo prices will rise because many people think ammo prices will rise causing them to go out and buy ammo creating an apparent shortage causing prices to rise.

I would not be surprised if ammo producers don't help this along by announcing shortages at some point in the next few months.

13. gr8wapiti

gr8wapiti New Member

My concern isn't getting ammo, its getting components. Primers are a premium, then powder. Bullets can be made from lead, but the other 2 components have in the recent past gotten rare and expensive. I'm stocking up on both not for the "apocalypse" but for the election and with all the attempts to grab our guns.

14. BlueTurf

BlueTurf New Member

I built up my ammo supply for all of my guns many years ago. I have maintained a supply for all of them. I enjoy reloading and I loaded a lot more rounds than I shot. I was fortunate enough to find some of the real good .308/7.62x51 surplus while it was available and cheap and I still have it. There is already a run on guns, ammo and reloading components taking place. A lot of folks are worried about Obama getting re-elected, especially after he was seen and heard telling the Russian President that he can be "more flexible" after his election. There is some serious concern about Obama trying to get gun control legislation pushed through.

15. Shade

Shade New Member

+1

The only looming crisis I see on the horizon is a second term for the 0bamination...

16. Kinetics

Kinetics New Member

Are you sure?? But yeah, i agree i dont think the world will end, but who knows, there may be small riots and stuff like that, but i will hopefully have a good amount of 5.56 by that time :D