Anyone still shooting in Alabama?

Discussion in 'Alabama Gun Forum' started by OLGEORGE, Apr 9, 2018.

1. OLGEORGE

OLGEORGE New Member

Just wondering. I noticed that the last post is almost a year old. Haven't been out myself due to having two total shoulder replacements since last August and tutoring my granddaughter in math for her welding class, plus my great-granddaughter's homework in her advanced classes. She asked me to help with balancing chemical equations. It's been over 60 year since I took any chemistry and wasn't any good at it then, but we got on the internet and figured it out. I'm in the process of loading some .223s and maybe get to the range if it ever dries out. Don't know why all this made me think of it, but I remember s few years ago when I was working at a machine shop in Huntsville. I was going around the shop asking people if they knew what day it was. No one had any idea. I finally said "It's a deplorable situation when a Yankee has to remind people in Alabama of Confederate Memorial Day." It's coming up again the 23rd of this month! L. O. G.

2. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

We are still shooting in The Free State of Winston!:D

3. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

4. OLGEORGE

OLGEORGE New Member

I expect that you mean Winston County. I'm in Ardmore, just a mile from Tennessee. I've only been in your area two or three times, just to pick someone up and bring them here. It looks like a better place for getting outdoors than here. It's getting so built up here that it's hard to find a good place to shoot. When I relocated here it was because my wife's family and some of our grand kids are in this area. When we met it was different, mostly cotton fields. I usually go to Swan Creek, north of Decatur. Good range, but sometimes crowded.

5. OLGEORGE

OLGEORGE New Member

That's a little far for me to go.

6. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, I went to Athens College in the late 60s, so these places you note bring back memories. We college kids used to go up into Tenn, stop at a bar called Rainey’s (on the way into Pulaski) buy beer, stop at a farm that sold barbecue and go up to the Elk River and shoot.

Probably can’t do that now. We did it because Limestone and Morgan Counties were dry. The empties became targets. Fortunately no one shot anyone else.

MisterMcCool likes this.
  7. 762

762 Active Member

i'm an auburn alum and there was a range about 20 minutes away in tuskegee national forest called the uchee shooting range. it was only 100 yards but it was great. $3 per trip or $20 for a year pass. if you went during the week there was a good chance you'd have it to yourself. i was a poor college kid back, so i picked up an norinco SKS for $100 and ammo was only $3 a box.

nothing like that around here unfortunately. i own 10 acres of land to shoot/hunt/fish on but it's 50 mins away.

MisterMcCool likes this.
  8. JimRau

You are correct. I live in the middle of the Bankhead National Forest so on one will be building condos near me! I have my own shooting range in my back yard and I manage the FOP range 2 miles north of me.:)

9. OLGEORGE

OLGEORGE New Member

Darn! A location like that and a shop with a lathe and mill and I'd be busy all the time. I have a couple projects in the works now, but no easy access to machines. Wish I'd bought some before retirement.

JimRau likes this.
  10. MisterMcCool

MisterMcCool Well-Known Member Supporter

That’s the one I go to. It’s still $3 for a range pass.

11. Voodoo_Blue

Voodoo_Blue Member

Old posts here and just looking around. I live about 15 west of you and ride my motorcycle through Bankhead all the time.

JimRau likes this.
  12. JimRau

Well stop and have a beer or coffee some time. If you are interested PM me.

13. Voodoo_Blue

Voodoo_Blue Member

I may well take ya up on that. Thank ya.