Anyone shot a S&W SW9VE?

Discussion in 'Smith & Wesson Forum' started by unioncreek, Jun 9, 2013.

1. unioncreek

unioncreek New Member

I've shot a SD9VE, but haven't seen or heard of the SW9VE. Anyone had one of these?

Bob

2. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Yup, but they are usually called the "sigma", good guns, sucky triggers. My dad has one and really likes it, they are pretty close in size and function to a Glock 19, not quite the same quality, but not the same price either. Not sure of the difference between the SD and the SW other than the look.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013

3. eatmydust

eatmydust New Member

1st semi-auto I bought & 1st semi-auto I sold! I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it, and figured it might be me, until my two sharp-eyed nephews shot it all over the place too.

I liked the ergonomics and the platform, I will probably buy a newer SD9VE (the replacement) in the near future.

4. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The SW-C and F were the first generation Sigma pistols. They felt great, but had heavy triggers. Next came the V series. They were a part of S&W's "Value" series. Plastic sights and triggers that were worse than their predecessors. The E came next with a new checkering pattern on the grip frame (not as nice as the previous), a new, round faced striker (prone to breakage) and suckier trigger. Then the VE came along and combined the worst of all the previous models with triggers that can only be described as HORRIBLE.

Check out the SD series. Trigger more like the M&P but a price tag closer to the Sigma.

5. austin92

austin92 New Member

Sucks to hear people talk so negatively about a gun I enjoy shooting so much and have had minimal problems with (all from same box of Tula). :(

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

All that really matters is you are happy with the gun.

7. apwvsd40ve

apwvsd40ve New Member

If you are shooting accurately, trust the gun, and are accustomed to it....enjoy! Everyone has an opinion based on personal experience....your s may be different. I have the SD40 VE .....it is great for me...I have seen reviews here that question the trigger, the sights, and other comparisons and issues that I have not had.....be mindful but let your experience be you're determining factor.

8. bbertram

bbertram New Member

I had a SW40VE, and shot it quite well. It was my first SD trigger and took some getting used to. Now , I classify pistols as either SD guns or shooting guns, based on the trigger pull. My Sig P-6's are shooters, despite the nice , safe DA trigger on the first shot from the holster. :)

9. racer_x

racer_x New Member

I cant hit the broad side of the barn with mine, my brother in law cant hit with it either. Even after some trigger work I still dont care much for it.
    I guess for me part is my first handgun over a 22 was a 1911 so Im kinda biais

10. justbombs

justbombs New Member

I just shot my sd40ve for the first time and put a couple hundred rounds in it and no failures. I was shooting Winchester white box and federal...I was shooting to the left I have to make adjustments on that. I thought it would have a bigger kick bc of the 40 s&w but it didn't. I am so pleased with this gun

11. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

The Sigma has been around a while and went through a few changes over the years. The triggers are pretty funky but they can be calmed down some if one chooses to. They are pretty accurate and in my opinion one of the better bang of the buck pistols out there. Really for the money I can't see asking much more out of them than they deliver. Because of the long 12# pull shooters do tend to push or pull more so any flaw in your handling will be magnified because of the extra work to fire them. But a little polishing and a striker spring change they can be brought down to a reasonable pull weight. I've heard stories about light strikes after a striker sporing change but I have yet to see it happen whenI shot them. I even took a few coils off the striker the Wolf spring and had fired around 1K rounds and never had a light strike. A friend still has that Sigma today and it still has been without fail. Not bad for a 300.00 gun.

12. ALfiremedic1

ALfiremedic1 New Member

SUCCCCCKKKKKYYYYY triggers. I sold mine. For the money, it's a good cheap SHTF gun to keep put up somewhere, but in my opinion not a good EDC unless that's all you can afford

13. austin92

austin92 New Member

Mines been reliable and I'm accurate with it. Carry it every day. After a trigger job, I have no bitches about it

14. justbombs

justbombs New Member

How hard is it to change the springs on the gun or should I get a gun smith to do it?

15. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Just look up sw9ve on you tube theres some pretty good ones on the subject. Then decide if you are up to the task

16. ALfiremedic1

ALfiremedic1 New Member

A trigger job would essentially make it really good. It just didn't fit me well.

17. austin92

austin92 New Member

I have absolutely no gunsmith experience, it was my first hand gun and I did it myself in about 15 minutes fallowing a video of someone on YouTube doing it. Really not hard :)

18. Daoust_Nat

Daoust_Nat Well-Known Member Supporter

I will tell you what I put in another thread.

I have two friends with them. A 9 and a .40. When I first shot them, both had bad triggers that affected accuracy. Both guys had trigger jobs done by a gunsmith for about $40. I have shot both since, and they are like new guns. Much better trigger. More predictable bang spot, better reset, the gritty feel is gone. Seems to me it makes a inexpensive gun better cheaply.

19. Orphanedcowboy

Orphanedcowboy New Member

I have the SW40VE and I actually love it and recently bought a SW9VE and the jury i out on it. The 40 has been flawless since day one, the 9 locked the slide back every time it was fired, but not when you just pull the slide back, unless there is an empty magazine in place. Came home and tore it completely down, found the slide stop spring was not installed under the locking block correctly. It caused the slide to bind when fired. I tweaked it and re-installed it, called S&W and they are sending me another.

I bought the 40 for a boat/4 wheeler/truck gun for use at the farm. It originally had a 11 3/4lb trigger. I shot it, played with the trigger, shot it, played some more and now have a 6 1/2lb trigger with the Apex kit and a 7lb trigger without it. The 9 is unmodified at the moment.

Here is a video to walk you thru the "free" trigger job:

Sigma Trigger Fix / Mod DIY walk through for beginners EASY

If you want to make it "look" a little better, add a M&P F/S base plates:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also added night sights to the 40:

[​IMG]

My everyday carry is a M&P 40c, but I would not hesitate to carry the SW40 if I can find a nice IWB holster for it.

20. austin92

austin92 New Member

Cross breed makes a nice iwb. Most m&p full size holsters fit it too