Anyone Seen These??

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by Dillinger, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

My boss is a big time hunter. Has 40 years of knife collecting under his belt to go with all his weapons and pictures of hunts.

He claims that nothing dulls a knife faster than skinning an animal, and as such he only carries these knives into the brush with him. When I say into the brush, I am talking 1-2 days of ride by horse into special, private hunting grounds.

He packs three of them. Yes, I have seen all three and yes they seem VERY sharp. I have also seen pictures of his hunts and he has been published for a couple of his hunts, so this isn't just smoke being blown.

What I want to know is what you folks think of these blades. I have it on the best authority that these are THE blade to have, but the prices are severe to say the least and there is no internet market pricing.

So, I know some of you folks have seen these as well. What are your thoughts??

DiamondBlade Knives: Welcome to DiamondBlade Knives

JD

2. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

Well, you can get those, surgical scalpels, or an absurdly sharp obsidian blade. They're all in about the same class, except the knives last much longer than the scalpels, and obsidian can't be resharpened without years of experience.

3. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Actually have an obsidian blade. Not as sharp as you would believe actually. Not NEARLY as sharp as you would think. :rolleyes:

4. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

You didn't buy a sharp one. But you can. Also, you can't sharpen obsidian with a whetstone or anything, it has to be knapped again to get sharper. It can be up to 10x sharper than surgical steel, and holds it's edge for longer. In surgery, obsidian scalpels have higher performance for longer times than steel scalpels.

5. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yeah. You would like to think that, as I have read the same thing in countless forums and webposts. :rolleyes:

Fact is, I ordered a "custom built obsidian knife with the sharpest edge available". Straight from a custom knife maker who specializes in obsidian. Vendor here as a matter of fact.

The one I got is sharp, no doubt, but it is FAR from the sharpest knife I have in my own arsenal.

Sorry to break it to you brother, but the Riddle of Obsidian is far lighter in history than the Riddle of Steel. :cool:

JD

6. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

Sharpest edge available from most handcrafters. You can buy obsidian scalpels that are at a 3 nanometer thickness. They're just very expensive, and don't last long. You can still buy knives that sharp, but only on pieces of obsidian that do that on their own. It comes down to luck. So you can either buy normal scalpels or the diamond edge blades. Or, I suppose, an ACTUALLY diamond knife, but that might be a bit farther out of your price range.

7. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Interesting. Did I specify a price range? :confused:

Or did you do some financial assessment of my posts and determine what "is" and what "is not" within my price range?? :eek:

8. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

:( Oops, my bad. The price of a completely diamond knife would be a little more severe than you indicated the original price of the knives in question was. I meant no offense of course, I'm just not used to talking with people that could afford diamond knives... I mean, hell, I can't afford supporting membership. Somebody had to donate it, which was mildly embarrassing while very appreciated. I don't take charity from anybody, including my parents, but I can't very easily deny an anonymous donation.

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

No worries. ;) I didn't take offense, I was just making a small point.

I never said I couldn't afford one, I was wondering what the collective thoughts were of people who had seen/used them.

Whomever upgraded you probably did so based on your posts. It happens a lot around these parts. A Supporting Member finds a poster who is "good for the community" and bumps a junior/senior member up to The Show as a sign of respect and interest in keeping you around. :cool:

JD

PS - Did you have a link for a site we should check out on truly diamond bladed knives? :D

10. Ploofy

Ploofy New Member

No. I think those would require a private laboratory, several scientists, and a lot of equipment. I can link you to obsidian scalpels if you want to give one a whirl, and I know from Anatomy and Physiology class that skinning an animal becomes absurdly easy with a scalpel. Never used an obsidian one, though.

11. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

So, you are saying I can't buy one? :confused:

Damn it man, give me a straight answer! Do you, or do you not, know of a knife that is sharper than I have linked that I can buy and test?? :D:D

Okay, let's break this down to the ultimate, bottom line here.

Ploofy. You're a medical/science student, right? What's the ABSOLUTE sharpest knife I can buy to cut meat with? Like if I wanted to skin an animal or just trim the fat off a couple of really nice Porterhouses?? :cool:

JD

12. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

13. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

14. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Says the man who's possibly contemplating
    for a sharp knife? :confused:

Pfft, what's a few hundred k? :rolleyes:

15. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Those weren't my words. I was wondering if anyone had any field experience with the Diamond Blade linked above.

Ploofy came along with a couple of assumptions, one of which was something about scientists and a private lab.

I'm looking for ANYONE to show me a knife that will replace my Mission Titanium Field Knife that is currently number one in my arsenal.

Anyone?? Anyone?? :eek::confused:

JD

16. bkt

bkt New Member

Obsidian shards are often used in plastic surgery because they are sharper than steel can get and thus leave a less pronounced scar. That's not the same as knapping at all.

You can google obsidian surgical and you might find something really steenkin' sharp, but it'll probably be a very tiny blade.

The differentially-hardened nature of the Diamond blades is pretty interesting (note the different Rockwell hardnesses between the edge and spine). It would be great to see these go up against some Japanese and other blades I've seen that are stupid-spooky sharp.

$400 for a folder is not a crazy price. You'll pay that much or more for a custom. Some people like craftsmanship and are willing to pay for it. Others like a very, very sharp blade.

17. cddbrowns

cddbrowns New Member

See now, dang it, you are going to get me in trouble. Now I have to have one of these too........I am going to send you the divorce bill when it comes in!!!!!

18. dog2000tj

dog2000tj New Member

Maybe not, but I didn't see any denial. So ergo, tacit approval :p

I'm guessing you have put way more time and energy into this than I have :rolleyes: but have you heard of these?

Wholesale Knives, Muela of Spain, Fury Knife, Mustang Knives, Tim Dubetz Knives
    Guard Pokara | Kainuun Puukko
    Marttiini / suomeksi

19. bkt

bkt New Member

20. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

DENIAL! I want a knife, not a payroll to have to worry about dog! :rolleyes:

1) Yes. No thank you.
    2) Yes. Ugly.
    3) No. Didn't know about these, but since I can't find a website in English, I am going to have to pass. :rolleyes:

JD