Anyone participate in, or attend WWII re-enactments?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by sputnik1988, May 19, 2013.

1. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

Was just thinking about this, I've wanted to re-enact for a long time and was curious if anyone here had similar interests.

I attended an event awhile back and was hooked, I bought most of the gear needed and even joined a unit, 29th infantry division, but still haven't participated in my first event yet. It's pretty cool, at least I think so.:cool:

There are a several videos on YouTube for anyone interested, some are kind of cheesy, others are very well orchestrated.

What do you guys think?

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  2. sputnik1988

Here is a pretty good one.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bWGTL_Gdav4[/ame]

3. marc29th

marc29th New Member

I do reenacting of multiple tome periods F&I, Rev War, Napoleonic and WWII.

For WWII I do British Airborne (2nd South Staffordshire Regt.) Just started this time period last year and have done 2 reenactments so far 1 in December and 1 in March both here in NH. Had a great time and can't wait till the next events in June and July.

What unit kit are you putting together?

4. sputnik1988

U.S. 29th infantry division, basic infantryman.

I'm throwing a German loadout together also just for the heck of it, just because I collect items related to both sides. Probably wont be doing much from the German point of view though.

5. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker New Member

If there was one around here, I'd definitely do it.

6. sputnik1988

Here is a list of some units, some of them are no longer active and there are many that aren't listed, but it's a start.

http://www.501stpir.com/reenactingorgunits.html

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  7. sputnik1988

Just 'cause I'm bored, I'll post a pic of my stuff.:p

I don't have everything yet, but I'm getting there.

I've always heard how the camera doesn't do justice to the colors of WWII gear... WOW they are right, the colors are way off in the pic.:confused:

Attached Files:

8. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Who owns the tanks and cars etc. Those are some very expensive toys. Do you have to have special permits for the field crew operated weapons?:confused:

9. sputnik1988

Some of them get very expensive, but believe it or not some, especially the jeeps are very affordable. About $7000 completely restored, at last check anyway.

I'm not really sure about the artillery and such.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
  10. nitestalker

nitestalker New Member

Crew operated weapons on rubber were very common until LBJ banned them in 1968.:(

11. sputnik1988

Doesn't surprise me.

If I had something like that I'd start my own unit.:(

12. PSYCHOFREAK3

PSYCHOFREAK3 New Member

Hey Sputnik I was actually a spectator there, this one happens in my neck of the woods. Missed it last year but I plan on going again this year. They do full camps for the week and there are always a bunch of battles throughout the weekend.

It's pretty cool, but I don't have the time for any more hobbies, although a buddy and I looked into it numerous times.

13. sputnik1988

Oh, come on now, theres always time for killin' Nazis:)

14. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

Ha that's reminds me of a certain WWII movie

image-3630390394.jpg

15. sputnik1988

That movie is great.

How about you Zaitsev, ever thought about joining up? (Note: we do not scalp;))

16. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

The WWII Days in Rockford, IL are have been really well done. Haven't been back there is a few years, but check out the site to see more.
    http://353id.org/RP/rockford.html

If you're ever in NE Illinois in July, the Lake County Civil War Days is a weekend not to miss. Huge crowds and participants. I live several miles away, and if we don't make it we can always hear the cannons being fired on Saturday night! First year we went, stood downrange to the side in the safe area for the twilight cannon firing. Son just about crapped his pants at how loud those suckers were! Couldn't imagine actually being in a battle with those going off constantly.
    http://www.lcfpd.org/html_lc/civilwardaysweb/main.html Reinactor's schedule http://www.lcfpd.org/docs/2013_tentative_schedule.pdf

Some groups welcome any people to join. Others have some tougher requirements.

17. zaitsev44

zaitsev44 Active Member

I haven't looked into it. It sounds fun. I've always loved the 3rd Armored Division and the Fifth Marine Division. I'll see if there are any in my area.

18. Donn

Donn Active Member

Have attended reenactments, they're interesting to a point. Don't know about you guys, I find myself bothered by the "Germans." Strutting around in their Nazi uniforms & gear gets right up my nose. Am I the only one?

19. KJG67

KJG67 New Member

My dad's parents fled the Russian/Poland area in the late 30's as they were Jewish and made their way here with some other family members. Quite the odyssey as they tried to get in here due to immigration restrictions here during that time. We don't have any history or contacts with anyone that stayed behind - most likely all exterminated. Actually don't even know exactly where the family lived originally. Lots of paranoia and secrecy for obvious reasons. My mom lived through the blitz of London. Had an AA installment right down the street and used to play in the rubble when they weren't hiding.

While I'm sure there are some bad apples dressed in the Nazi uniforms (and it makes me uncomfortable - so they're doing their job), I believe the vast majority of them are into the history and want to play the role so others understand what happened so it doesn't happen again on that scale. Sadly, our government still sits by and lets it happen all of the time - just not on that scale.

If you ever get to D.C., be sure to go to the United States Holocaust Memorial Museum. It will be an experience you'll never forget. Ranks right up there with all of the other war memorials for emotion and sacrafice.

20. PSYCHOFREAK3

PSYCHOFREAK3 New Member

There should be but he has 3 young children, I have one with one on the way then there's that whole "job" thing that I apparently need to keep :D otherwise I can't fund the hobbies I already have. But in a perfect world, you'd be right.