Anyone on the forum that was on a special forces or special wafare team in any branch

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by beastmode986, Jan 4, 2013.

1. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

I there anyone on the forum that was ever on a special warfare or special forces team in any branch? If so which one? I have questions to ask about them.

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

What did you want to know?

3. Yunus

Yunus New Member

Its been said many times before on this board that those who were really part of special forces rarely discuss it with outsiders. I would suggest you just ask what you would like to know and see if anyone responds.

I was not a member, I worked with a few and they were cool guys but i would not say i knew any of them like a friend.

4. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

Ones i knew were mean, nasty & slow to answer questions :D

5. trip286

trip286 New Member

Google may be your friend here. Like other claims, I've met few REAL spec ops guys who are very open about it.

Post your question. Several of us are vets, and have worked with special forces on occasion.

6. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

Well I am reading a new book I got(no easy day) and I was wondering, Is all special forces training that tough? They made them run miles, you couldn't really meet the standards you had to do better, no mistakes at all in the kill house etc.
    Later he shows his gear, he said he had a 40lb chest rig. Do they really make you carry all that weight and then some?
    He was saying he got to have his guns made to his specifications(he had his hk416 barrel cut down to 10'' and I think another to 14'', he said he got to pick certain guns as well, he said he picked his mp7 and had it suppressed, said he was issued 2 sidearms, a grenade launcher the guys in the armory cut down etc.)
    Also both me, my dad, and a few others don't know this but do people in special forces get paid more than regular soldiers? I always thought they didn't because they don't want people doing it for the money and if so I can agree with that.

Is it like this for other special forces teams or just seals?

7. ultimate-soldier5

ultimate-soldier5 New Member

i spent a few days with them in iraq, compared to us (regular army) they do whatever they want no questions asked, they arent in our food chain

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

The training IS that hard. I went through a two week "indoc" for SEALs, which is just a fitness test to see if you're worth the time and effort to attempt to train. I passed with flying colors (I was a complete bad *** back then), and then I passed on the chance to TRY to be a SEAL (which I believe is what the author of that book is). I pussed out because it was too damn hard, plain and simple.

No mistakes in training? That's what you strive for. The more you sweat in training, the less you bleed in battle. Mistakes get you or your friends killed. There is no such thing as perfection, but you damn well try to find it.

Custom weapons? I have to say I think he's blowing smoke. I don't know though. They do still have to obey the laws of war, so they have to be careful on customizing stuff. They do use suppressed weapons though. So do some regular troops.

The weight of his gear? He's probably not exaggerating. In fact, he's probably under estimating.

Pay? Many of them rank up pretty quick. The schools they go through improve their "cutting score".

9. scottmac

scottmac New Member

...and there's hazardous duty pay, if they're doing what's defined as "hazardous Duty" (i.e., battle zone) ... but everyone else is just as eligible.

They get all the new toys to "evaluate" for the rest of the forces.

Training is that hard. Check out Discovery Channel's series on SEAL BUDS training ; imDB review - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0426761/

The History and Military channel and some others have also had series on Rangers, Recon, Snipers, PJs, and other "difficult" military jobs.

Google can be your friend ...

10. Mosin

Mosin Well-Known Member

I've seen the most physically in shape, iron man champion types, break down and cry after dropping out of BUD/S.

11. racer_x

racer_x New Member

Amen Mosin ive seen it too.

12. beastmode986

beastmode986 New Member

I kept reading, he said they shot up a camp and killed them and caught them by surprise but now they can't he said they need to call them out now and tell them to surrender????

13. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

Special Opns Forces are stealth and mum. Hard to get anything out of them but a few guttural noises and some black and blue if your too nosy! My Drill SFC Boseman was Airborne, Ranger, SF and just as nasty and ugly as they get. Never wanted to see him smile, ever! Special forces training is just Basic Training on Steroids X 10, 24/7. Truly, all that get asked to try out are exceptional but most still wont get the Diploma/ CADRE want nothing more than to S4itcan 50% ASAP, kick "losers" out and the rest get pushed over the edge just as hard as can be imagined, 24/7 until only the few toughest Physically and Mentally Graduate.

They do get Haz pay in zone but quick rank is more the financial incentive not pay. Trust me, they dont do it for the money.

Quick funny and REAL Story from July of 85. I had just ETS'ed from the RA and joined the National Guard (MP's) and a couple months later was our 2 weeks of fun in the sun, we went to Bragg. We were attacked by Delta Force (Best guess was a Small Squad, 3 or 4 of them). We had a whole div of NG's training about 6K from their compound, dug in, night security at 50%. They hit our Div TOC at about 2 in the Morning, went straight through the wire, guards, perimeter like it wasnt even there and just tossed things around a little. Hung some SM's in trees and 100MPH taped a couple to their racks (In their sleeping bags), grabbed a couple CEOI's, absconded with then tossed a few m16's under trailers and scooted out without a single one of them being seen once.

The entire post was on alert for the next 2 hours until we found the Missing Machine Guns and CEOI's, we walked online in the dark, they tossed them where they would be found! Even the Post General was caught off guard (and pissed off) and our Div Staff was embarrassed big time! It was a rogue attack, unplanned, just decided to play with a division of No Gos for a little midnight fun; NBD, wouldnt have surprised me if they werent cocked! Delta was never "Officially confirmed" but as the Battalion Commanders Driver/ Rad-Op, I might have heard some things...

14. c3shooter

Is training difficult, mentally and physically demanding? It is created to be as demanding as possible. No mistakes in training? Purpose of training is to correct mistakes. The further along in training, the fewer mistakes that are permitted.

Custom weapons? There is no one special warfare group, no one answer. Some groups are armed with standard military arms, some... not so standard.

Pay? An E-5 SEAL, an E-5 Ranger, and an E-5 Chaplain's Assistant in the Air Force make the same pay- it is based on rank, time in service. You may draw flight pay/ jump pay/ demolition pay/ combat pay, etc. That is an additional $150 or $225 a month MAXIMUM. When on detached duty you may also draw TDY (Temporary Duty pay) to cover costs of housing/ food. Used to be a max of $125- $200/day.

Some Special Warfare groups have a minimum time in service/ rank requirement- you will not enter the service and go directly to the special unit.

Weight? 40 lbs? HAH! WAY understated. For a regular soldier, a combat load runs well over 75 lbs. It is grouped so that you can drop some. most or all of what you do not need to fight at that instant. Knees and ankles are the first things to go (right after your girlish laughter)

Weight is high enough that the services had to change the parachute used for combat jumps- the jumpers when loaded weighed too much for the chute.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  15. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

C3, you failed to mention the "Special" Freeze Dried Filet Mignon, Stir Fried Country Vegetables, Champagne Squeeze Pouch with Chips and Salsa, SFMRE's, Mmm!...

Forgot to mention that 40Lb thing... Ha, ha, ha! That's a Crunchies Butt Pack not a Ruck Sack! The RTO gets a little more added weight! I was Light Infantry Anti-Armor, nothing light about that!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  16. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

And the HAM & MUTHERFUKERS :(

17. c3shooter

OLD joke- what do you need to become a Green Beret?

A. A Rolex watch, a star Sapphire ring, and at least one divorce. :p

18. 1911_Marine

1911_Marine New Member

A little clarification...

Special Operations Command encompasses all Special Operations units and are responsible to train, man and equip said units.

Look up Special Duty Assignment Pay (SDAP). SDAP provides pay to individuals based on skill set. You are correct in saying they don't do it for the money but there is additional pay for maintaining special skills. http://comptroller.defense.gov/fmr/07a/07a_08.pdf

Good luck in the search for information on our elite forces.

19. Vincine

Vincine New Member

Someone told me once it’s not fun, it’s not an adventure, it’s work.

20. chuckusaret

chuckusaret Member

My helicopter company provided air support to the SOG that worked out of Phubia Vietnam in the late 1960's early 1970's. the unit was made up of mostly special forces and ranger qualified personnel and a few hired mercenaries. The team suffered very high losses on each and every mission.
    True definition of SOG; "Studies and Observation Group" the SOG was a covert group activated during th Vietnam conflict but did far more combat operations then just studies and observation. There is an abundance of information on the "Special" units within all branches of the services on the web.

The physical part of the training for the special units within all branches is demanding but the mental stress i found to be the downfall of most trainees followed by injuries suffered in training. I had no problems with the mental stress, I was brainless, but my injuries suffered during my two attempts to complete Phase ll of ranger training was my downfall.

If you are contemplating enlisting and applying for any type of special unit I would first apply for and complete airborne training. It will better prepare you mentally and physically and also improve your chances of being selected for attendance. My MOS does have the "P" skill qualifier attached.