Anyone know the value of this gold coin?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by okdonk, Jul 3, 2014.

1. okdonk

okdonk New Member

Hi guys, my uncle gave me this coin years ago. I'm curious to know how much is it worth. Anyone into coins?
    Thank you
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

3. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

Yeah, some years can be worth way more. Google that coin by it's year... you should be especially nice to that particular uncle. Also, don't sell it now, keep it! Gold is/will be on the rise! And buy it some friends.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  4. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

I'm pretty sure that these mini's are anodized, and therefore there is very little actual gold in/on them.

So it is probably only worth it's weight in zinc.

5. bluez

bluez Well-Known Member

its NOT anodized (snort)

To the OP:

Unless its special year/edition/proof coin its worth about $140, trade -in to $155 retail, at current spot prices.

6. WebleyFosbery38

WebleyFosbery38 New Member

It says its 91% gold, the rest is silver and copper so its literally worth 9/10th of its weight in gold at this point. It has no collectable age yet but if saved long enough for your grandchildren to hand down could be very valuable someday. That was a very generous gift, cherish it and hand it down someday if you can. One of your kids will tell the story of it and show it to their kids, thats how people can go on for generations in our memories!

7. Shoobee

Shoobee New Member

They may have anodized it with 91% "gold."

You always need to read the fine print.

Cut it in half with bolt cutters and see what is inside of it. Then you'll know.

8. clr8ter

clr8ter New Member

If it's a fake, maybe. But that would be easily found out by weighing it, or taking it to a coin dealer. I'd take it to a coin dealer. That way you'll know what, exactly it is worth to you at that moment.

BTW, there is a tenth oz. of gold in it. 91% of it is gold, but the alloying metals are extra. So it weighs more than a tenth oz. total.

9. WebleyFosbery38

Its not anodized, this is a US Mint issue not a Mcdonalds collector coin. Its says clearly its composed of 91% gold, electroplating to 91% at nearly 3 grams would be very expensive and nobody would ever do that.

Furthermore, cutting it in half is not a good idea. Its not pieces of eight, its a $5.00 gold piece. I know you must have been joking but that wouldnt be good advice to give the OP and if you leave him thinking he's just got a dimestore slug in his hand, he might try what your saying, that would be a very bad idea.

People ask advice cause they want to know useful answers, yours so far have failed to reach that level. Luckily your talking about an expensive paperweight this time but this is a Firearm Forum! Please do try to make sure your giving advice people can live with when your telling people things here cause if your wrong, they might have more than a FUBARed Gold Coin from their uncle to dislike the day they listened to Shoobee on The FTF!

Im not trying to be a poophead, just saying some of your responses to date show a level of concern and consideration that might not reflect well on you or others that take these discussions a bit more serious than you may. Sorry, thats just how I feel.

Now thats the best advice for sure.

10. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Shoobee- the American Eagle coin is issued by the US Mint- NOT the Franklin Mint (as seen on QVC). The coins are 22 carat gold, NOT anodized, NOT gold plated- and the value of the gold in that coin is as I stated. Please do not post misinformation. Cutting the coin in half will destroy the collector's value, which is significant.

11. Airborne1

Airborne1 Member

12. ScottA

ScottA FAA licensed bugsmasher Lifetime Supporter

No worries of it being anodized. I'm 99% percent confident it's legit just looking at it. Confident enough that I'll offer to buy it from you right now, although I would recommend you not sell it. A weight test can tell you everything you need to know. A local coin dealer can verify that for you.

Since it is a proof coin, it likely has a small premium in value attached to it. Also, gold eagles from 1991 are selling for around $170 right now.

1991 was the last year that the mint printed the year in Roman numerals on the coin. This might be a collector factor down the road.

A certified coin of this type in perfect condition (PR-70 or MS-70) can sell for over $300 right now. You may want to have the coin certified by someone: PCGS, NGC, or ANACS.

13. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Salt value.............

It says one tenth of an ounce, correct, so whats the problem. Is this some long lost coin and only one produced..............:confused:

14. SSGN_Doc

SSGN_Doc Well-Known Member

As Scott A pointed out. The particular coin you have is not only a American Eagle gold bullion coin from the US Mint, it is one of the proof coins. These have a higher sheen due to being pressed when the dies are new. So there are fewer proof coins out there. Also having the original paperwork and mint box helps with value to collectors.

Definitely go through a coin dealer if you ever intend to sell that piece. Other gold bullion coins don't fetch much premium over spot gold prices, except for low mintage years. American Eagles, and Canadian Maple Leaf coins in silver, gold and platinum are good to have a small cache of because of their known purity and they make for easy trade if you need cash in an emergency. When I started buying bullion coins, a 1/10 oz. gold eagle was running about $65 (gold was just over $600 an ounce, but the 1/10 oz coins had a small premium). 1 oz Silver eagles were about $7.50. Last time I needed some emergency cash I sold gold coins when gold was at $1250 an ounce and Silver was at close to $20 an ounce.

15. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

16. Mercator

Mercator New Member

17. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

The gold value, as you describe the coin, would be about $115.00 subject to change by the minute.

18. WebleyFosbery38

Its metal and collector value will vary through the years, the good thing is it will always be worth whatever gold is but likely in a couple decades, much more than that in its current form. Its a keeper for sure!

19. Vincine

Vincine New Member

It sure looks like a US Mint proof coin to me. I wouldn't take it out to check.

20. Mercator

Mercator New Member

It says Philadelphia mint. Not Franklin Mint, the souvenir merchant.