Anyone know the outside diameter of a RRA lar-8 bull barrel?

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by Ross_The_Boss13, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Ross_The_Boss13

Ross_The_Boss13 New Member

Wanting to get a clamp on muzzle brake. Or would it be better to get the barrel threaded

2. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

My Rock River LAR15 has the bull barrel and I am going to have it threaded my a local shop and instal a JP Tactical Compensator Matte Black .223 cal. for Bull Barrel (.925 Barrel Diameter). The threading of my barrel was quoted at $75.00.

3. Ross_The_Boss13

Mine is a ar-10 in 308 is there a difference in outside diameter that u know of since its a bigger caliber

4. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

I really don't think so. I'm pretty dang sure that .936 is the standard bull barrel size.

5. kaido

kaido New Member

When in doubt, grab a pair of calibers. Even if you buy them just for that, chances are you'll use them again.

6. AlphaKoncepts

AlphaKoncepts Member

That has always been my finding. However anything can be done when it comes to barreling.

7. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Obviously I'd recomend measuring the barrel with calipers, but when doing a search fo "AR 10 Bull Barrel Gasblock" .936 is what I come up with everytime. If the barrel was a custom size the custom gas blocks etc. would have to be used.

Here is the compensator I am going to get my bull barrel threade for.... JP Tactical Compensator .223 cal Bull Barrel. They make the same one for a .308 in both stainless and black. You can look them up on nokick.com.

Stainless Compensator.jpg

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  8. ZeusEcho

ZeusEcho Member Lifetime Supporter

I really like the way that JP comp looks. Need a range report once you get it :)

9. Ross_The_Boss13

Thinking about one of these three from grizzygunworks.com they make them thread on or clamp on has anyone heard about there stuff looks like good quality stuff and they claim 50% recoil reduction and say it eliminates muzzle climb. Is there any pro or cons with clamp on vs threaded

10. Sniper03

Sniper03 Supporting Member Supporter

Boss,

Here you Go!

Attached Files:

11. AlphaKoncepts

AlphaKoncepts Member

I want to get like 20 comps and test fire them side by side on high speed camera to see which really works the best.

12. Sniper03

Ross!

Sorry! The dimensions i gave you is for the 16 in. Barrel but i will get you the dimensions for the bull or heavy barrel.

13. Sniper03

Ross,''Back as promised! Texas is absolutely correct on his LAR-8 bull barrel dimensions. They are .925 +/- .005. On the Var Barrels.

14. TexasGunner

TexasGunner New Member

Right on. I can confirm this.

image-2948829509.jpg

15. Ross_The_Boss13

Thanks everybody for the info helped a lot..... Also is it true that the lenght of pull on a rra is longer than other ar-10 cause I'm getting a magpul prs stock and was told the cheek adjustment wouldnt work because they would hit each other

16. tatooedrebel

tatooedrebel New Member

i am new to this,so please forgive me...i bought a rra lar 8 20 n barrel with muzzle brake on in,,i want to know what is the acual barrel diameter,,before the threading starts

17. Ross_The_Boss13

Guy posted above me .925. +/- .005 on the varmit barrels