Anyone know of a small yet sturdy fixed blade for under $50?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by comeback_kid, Jan 28, 2012.

1. comeback_kid

comeback_kid New Member

I'm looking for a fixed blade with a blade length anywhere from 3-4". I don't care if it is stainless or carbon. I am looking for something with a sturdy tang design that will handle some slight abuse. The intended purpose of the knife is just dressing game and general outdoor use. I don't want anything with serrations or a gut hook. I have been scouring the web and I can't find anything- I have been looking at the Mora knives (they seem great for the price) but there is much more research that I need to do. Any suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks. (I would prefer something with a wooden handle but I am certainly open to other options)

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

You need to look up randy porter. He makes and sells knives here on FTF. I just got my 3.5" skinner in the mail yesterday, solid 440 I believe with a cord wrapped grip. I already love it. It's almost a quarter inch thick, perfectly balanced, simple and elegant at the same time.

With all respect to Randy, his pictures don't do justice to his product.

The sheath it came with is also top notch quality.

Stand by for pictures.

3. trip286

trip286 New Member

4. jordan89

jordan89 New Member

5. comeback_kid

comeback_kid New Member

Awesome, I wonder how much the Cutty Sark S9 blade would be with a fitting handle... I guess I will have to ask him... I might be willing to pay more, those knives look VERY nice. I have always wanted something with the antler grip, but I'll take whatever he can put on there haha. I also like the Devil Drop point and the chippewa hunter, but I have a mental block against those skinny tangs. I mean my KA-BAR is a solid knife that has been through hell and back and it has that tiny tang...

Thanks for the heads up, definitely something I am going to take a hard look at, as long as the prices are reasonable. I have a hard time believing I can get one made for under 50.
    If I had a knife that perty I might be scared to use it. Truth be told I would prefer the elk handle over wood, or any other handle, but I don't think I want to find out how much it will cost. Especially once I throw in a sheath. (I can get a sheath made somewhere else for free though if I have to, but I guarantee it won't fit very well) I am still open to more suggestions- I have a bad habit of jumping on the first thing that catches my eye

Should I contact him on here or through the site?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  6. Marlinman

Marlinman New Member

Id go through his site mon ami

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did

7. Minionsram

Minionsram New Member

buck makes a good sheath knife the Buck Nighthawk, I have one that has been abused to no end and never failed me.

8. trip286

trip286 New Member

On Randy's site, I didn't see many for sale, could be I wasn't looking in the right places.

If you look him up on facebook, you will see examples of everything he's done, all beautiful, functional, and reasonably priced.

Buck, schrade, and old timer are some of my faves, but Randy does great work.

OP, you mentioned you have a ka-bar, have you checked them out? They have many different models, but I don't know if they have one to suit your needs, or what their prices are.

9. comeback_kid

comeback_kid New Member

Good idea. I sent Mr Porter an email (I think, not sure if it went through)... I didn't think my question through very well though, but when they get back to me I am gonna ask if they could make the Cutty Sark S9 with wooden scales and keep the full tang (I read somewhere on the site where he uses antler and makes the tang skinner); But I will see what he can do and I look forward to hearing back from em. It all depends on prices as far as which way I go. It might be worth spending a little extra for something that custom fits all my wants/needs. KA-BAR has a very nice knife I just found that is exactly what I want, besides the fact it's 100 bucks.

10. spack762

spack762 New Member

ColdSteel.com. All my fixed blade and most of my folding knivies are from them.

11. comeback_kid

comeback_kid New Member

I was looking at a Mora 1 with the wooden handle and no finger guard. Very cheap blade, but the tang design isn't entirely what I want nor the handle, but it's close, and for 10 bucks I can't see anything wrong with getting it. I emailed Mr Porter asking if he can keep the Cutty Sark full tang and put scales on it (either wood or antler) and how much that would be compared to some other options. He was quick to respond last night to let me know he would gather all of the information to my questions today. I doubt it will be too costly, judging by the price of some of his other stuff- but if I can't get it now I will definitely have to put it on my wishlist. A full tang, 3 3/4" stainless blade with wood or antler handle (not to mention one of a kind) definitely grabs my attention. I have a similar knife that was a gift with supposedly ivory scales, but it's a knife I never want to use. If I do get a knife from Mr. Porter (it all comes down to prices) I will be putting it to work.

12. trip286

trip286 New Member

His knives are functional, I fully intend to put mine to work if I ever get a deer.

This is the first year after taking over 10 years off from hunting. I wasn't able to put the time into it that I wanted, but I'm hoping that will change next season.

13. comeback_kid

comeback_kid New Member

yeah, I just started hunting again (last time I went I was probably 14). I killed a button buck on accident and a small pig on the same day. Not my proudest moment but that little 50 lb pig tasted great. Other than that no luck this season. I'm always cleaning fish, rabbits, or squirrels so a good knife comes in handy.

Mr Porter got back to me, he said he doesn't make full tang knives anymore. The prices he listed are not bad at all for the quality, but I may have to hold out on the knives for now and weigh my other options. The sheaths he had too are beautiful... but being a student and not having job at the moment I have to spend money wisely... with a new .45 to further deplete what little spending cash I have

However, I have to say his knives appear to be nothing to turn my nose up at, and it will be a tough decision whether I want to go that route or not. If not this time definitely something to take into consideration in the future

14. THEAKDUDE

THEAKDUDE New Member

Look at cold steel pricey but always faithful. Lifetime Warranty

15. comeback_kid

comeback_kid New Member

Well I just found a site that has quite the catalog. I entered my price range and hit "fixed blade" and adjusted my search accordingly... now I have hundreds of knives to scan through, all different makes
    http://www2.knifecenter.com
    Wish I found this a long time ago

http://www.smkw.com

I've found so many knives that meet my requirements... the only problem is some of them are brands I've never heard of and the price has me concerned about quality. I never knew "Colt" made knives. I am under the impression that these "Colt" knives aren't actually "Colt"... either way they look good, and are cheap. Not sure if they are worth a damn though

Update: I think I am going to go with the Classic Mora. The regular Classic is 11 dollars, but the one I want is about 32 plus shipping. It was a tough decision between the two, but the main differences are laminated steel and a "full" tang, although it isn't technically a full tang, it just extends to the end of the handle, sort of like the KA-Bar fighting knives. I don't think there is anything wrong with the regular tang they use for most moras but it's just a psychological thing for me, I like knowing it's going to be as strong as possible if for some odd reason I have to use it for more heavy duty tasks. I really like the classic design and plan on using it as a neck knife when I am hunting or doing whatever. Probably not the best "skinner" but I can't imagine why it wouldn't work. I've cleaned animals with much less than practical blades.

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerc...riginal+#1+with+Birchwood+Handle/FS11011.html

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerc...ssic+#2+with+Red+Birchwood+Handle/FS0002.html

The tough part is paying 32 dollars for this blade when I can get something very similar which may or may not have any noticeable difference in my everyday use for only 11 dollars. However, the sheath that comes with this one looks better than that plastic one on the other mora, and I like the color of the wood compared to the red lacquer. Throw laminated steel (I don't own any laminated blades yet) and a better tang design and it is very tempting. But is it worth 21 extra dollars? That's the question. Right now I am saying it is. I'm looking forward to adding something more "traditional" to my collection, my recent purchases have included synthetic handles and tanto style blades. Plus I don't own any knife I can wear around my neck so that will be cool. Free up some pocket space/belt space. The advantages of the 11 dollar knife is just that- it's 11 dollars. I can spend the extra 21 dollars on some 230 grain slugs, and if the knife were to break or get lost somehow I wouldn't fret because of the price. 32 still isn't much for a knife (in my opinion) My granfather who came from an era when gas was 5 cents a gallon might think otherwise

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  16. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

I have the Ka-Bar Acheron Skeleton knife and it is 6.25 in overall, with a 3.25 in blade, I love it, it is an amazing knife, and I bought it on amazon for about $10 plus shipping, I would recommend that, but I have a bias for Ka-Bar.