Anyone know how to....

Discussion in 'AR-15 Discussion' started by broke-again124, Jul 16, 2012.

1. broke-again124

broke-again124 New Member

Any of you fellas know if it's possible to properly un-stake a castle nut. I wanna get my magpul ASAP on a BCM lower but it comes with castle nut staked.

2. JonM

JonM Moderator

just use a castle nut wrench and twist it off. the staked bit of metal will shear off, then when you put it back on re-stake it. i use an old punch that fits in the stake slot. i sharped the punch for the job.

3. broke-again124

It won't tear up the threads backing it off like that?

4. JonM

JonM Moderator

No. The staking doesnt go down to the threads. If it does its waaaay over staked and threads are already boogered up.

5. broke-again124

Alright Jon I'm gonna take your word for it and order the BCM lower receiver complete. Thanks

6. Rhino24

Rhino24 New Member

7. broke-again124

8. JonM

JonM Moderator

if you havent got one, a lower reciever block. http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=25011/Product/AR-15-M16-LOWER-RECEIVER-VISE-BLOCK

its a great tool and if your planning on doing your own work as it sounds its a great investment. reduces frustration a lot and eliminates the chance of warping the reciever.

one other thing what magpul thing are you talking about?? if its a collapsable stock you wont need to remove the extension tube. the one that comes with the complete lower is just as good as the vltor tube i put on my wife's dpms. if your putting on a stock that requires a rifle length tube your going to want to get a stripped lower instead since your going to be replacing a lot of parts if your going that way.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  9. JonM

JonM Moderator

10. X-mark

X-mark New Member

watch out for the small detent spring as you back the castle nut away from the end plate.