Anyone Know Anything About Lilacs??

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by Dillinger, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

First off, keep the wise ass comments to yourself please, this is semi serious.

So one of my hair brained, knuckle dragging crews went out on a job and ripped up some 60 year old lilac bushes that belong to, quite possibly, the nicest little old lady we have encountered lately.

She is over 80 years old and she has been growing and tending to these lilacs for the 60 years they have been growing on her property. Judging by her emotions, this might be all she has left and her tears really left an impression on my co-worker.

We have been able to discover two things thus far ( outside of the obvious that you never send a lineman into a delicate area ):

1) Lilacs are currently out of season

2) Nobody grows and sells large, already to go, transplant style lilacs around here.

I need a full grown lilac solution. Anyone know of a place that can help us out?

Thanks,

JD

2. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

I appreciate that bro, but they don't ship to this state and they don't start shipping until April 15th... LOL

3. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

4. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Do you still have the root ball? Can you provide pics? I have a few hundred other questions, but either of those two will give me a better idea on which way to go with this.
    This may be a matter of actually hiring someone (A seasoned, educated landscaper) to locate the very same shrub (By cultivar), buy it from another homeowner, and transplant it for you. If the rootball is viable (You'll probably want a plant guy to verify this), you can offer monetary compensation, replant the rootball, and hope that it/they live. Not to pee in your cornflakes, but it could run into several hundreds of dollars either way.

5. cpttango30

cpttango30 New Member

Here is one in woodland WA

Hulda Klager Lilac Gardens - LewisRiver.com

Gork is more than likely the man to listen to.

I dunno robo will be along shortly to post some amazing insight into lilacs and end up killing the thread.

6. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

This is the most comprehensive landscaping forum I've ever been a member of. http://www.lawnsite.com/
    If you scroll down about 3/4 of the way, there's a regional section.

7. MoHawk

MoHawk New Member

Ain't that the truth

8. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

9. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

All good questions, none of which I know the answer to at the moment.

We have a very good landscape guy that we work with all the time. We had a call in, but no call back.

When my partner asked if I knew anyone that knew anything about lilacs I said "I don't know anything about them, but I bet I know someone who does" and posted here. Sure enough, you guys didn't disappoint.

More to follow as the saga unfolds....

10. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Pistol whip the lunkhead for destroying a little old lady's lilacs. :rolleyes:

11. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Not many places will have large, mature shrubs. The average homeowner lacks the equipment to transport/plant them, nurseries and landscapers make their profit in volume and subsequently won't waste the space on them, and you don't get symmetry in old shrubs like you can if you raise them from small ones and train them. I have bought them from homeowners before, but only after every other option was exhausted.

12. TheGunLady

TheGunLady New Member

That is really so sad, and kudos to you for caring so much. That's very cool of you.

Good luck. I know squat about the plants, but did want to comment on the goodness of your heart. :cool:

13. boatme98

boatme98 New Member

I don't think anyone will ship plants right now. Too much chance of freezing during transport.

BTW: save the wood! It's the best for smoking chicken on the grill. It tastes like it smells!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  14. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

UPDATE:

We found a local place ( about 60 miles away ) that has full grown trees for sale. $200-$250 a tree. We are going to be buying a couple of those and having our landscaper transport and plant them at the scene of the crime.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

JD

15. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Lilac chicken?

16. mrm14

mrm14 Active Member

JD indicated this guy was a lineman. Pistol whipping a bad idea.
    Job description for lineman: Size 50 shirt with size 1 hat.

I know because I used to be one but didn't quite fit job size description. So I became a splicer. :)

17. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

Oh. Well in that case, Run away! Run away!

18. Dillinger

Dillinger New Member

Yeah. Here's the deal. These guys are all the big, knuckle dragging Alpha males. Most of them, I am sure, have been in cuffs, at one time or another. They all think they walk on water and my guys all have shirts that say "Power Lineman Member IBEW: Even Police and Firemen Need Heros". :rolleyes:

Needless to say, the best way to punish them is take away their overtime & give them crappy trucks to work with. Physical violence is a bad idea, even if you also are a big guy, because their crews are like little gangs. :eek:

Someone's crew will be working 5 days 8 hour days for the next few weeks. They hate that. :D

19. Troy Michalik

Troy Michalik Is it Friday yet? Supporter

Ah yes, the good ole international brotherhood of electrical workers (I will reserve my comments about the union at this time).

Glad to hear that you found a nursery that had some and are taking care it.

PS. don't forget to file your grievance. :D (for all the good it does)