Firearms Talk banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,329 Posts
Yes the vast majority of of 17 HMR ammunition is made by CCI no matter the labeling.

Did I guess the question?
Might be about the safety of it. There is a fairly recent thread here about .17 rifles blowing up. And, faulty ammo.
Cannot remember thread title right now though. Lot of info there.

·
Supporting Member
14,173 Posts
Yes Pierre, we will be awaiting your Question.
I use CCI in my 17 HMR.

Outlaw,
As I recall it was with semi-auto 17 HMR Rifles. They initially had problems from the beginning. (Blow Ups!) Had nothing to do with ammo it was a cycling issue of not locking up properly. I would think they would have resolved it by now?

But, I have a Marlin 917-V (Varmint) 17 HMR. And out of all the rifles I have it is one of my favorites. When they first came out they had what I would call a crappy trigger. And I let my friend at Marlin know it at the Shot Show one year. He advised yes we know we are in the process of improving the triggers that they first came out with. I am sure they have. But at the time I put a Rifle Basics Trigger in it and set it at 2.5 Lbs. What a sweet Rifle it is with the 3X9 Scope on it.
Inexpensive Ammunition (50 Rds.), very accurate at Sub MOA Groups at 100 Yards on a calm day and 2500 Ft Per Second.
Simply put some of the best money I have ever spent.
I recall shooting a Crow at 80 yards with it one time. And I swear I saw the Crow fall down almost before recognizing and hearing the report!;)
Air gun Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel Gun accessory

Reactions: Artie1957

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for signing on fellows - it was me that reported my Wife's 17hmr Savage (93R17BRJ) "blowing up".....and my question is about the ammo that you might have

the ammo that was being used when one of the rounds "exploded" was Winchester Varmint HV 17gr Polymer Tip V-Max - after the incident I got to closely examining the remaining ammo from that box and discovered that just about every other round has a small crack in the brass - in the bottle-necked part of the brass - the cracks run from front (where the bullet is) towards the rear (the primer end) and they're less than 1/8" (about the length of the bottle-neck)

they're very hard to see with my old eyes so I look for the cracks in good lighting but can also "feel" them with a fingernail

I've got about 10 boxes of the Winchester ammo and tomorrow will go thru each round to find the good and the bad - also have 3 boxes of Hornady V-Max and will check those too

so, if someone would be so kind, I'd appreciate your taking a close look at a sample of any ammo that you might have - just to see if you might find any "bad" - thanks again for any report you might offer

·
Premium Member
6,329 Posts
thanks for signing on fellows - it was me that reported my Wife's 17hmr Savage (93R17BRJ) "blowing up".....and my question is about the ammo that you might have

the ammo that was being used when one of the rounds "exploded" was Winchester Varmint HV 17gr Polymer Tip V-Max - after the incident I got to closely examining the remaining ammo from that box and discovered that just about every other round has a small crack in the brass - in the bottle-necked part of the brass - the cracks run from front (where the bullet is) towards the rear (the primer end) and they're less than 1/8" (about the length of the bottle-neck)

they're very hard to see with my old eyes so I look for the cracks in good lighting but can also "feel" them with a fingernail

I've got about 10 boxes of the Winchester ammo and tomorrow will go thru each round to find the good and the bad - also have 3 boxes of Hornady V-Max and will check those too

so, if someone would be so kind, I'd appreciate your taking a close look at a sample of any ammo that you might have - just to see if you might find any "bad" - thanks again for any report you might offer
I seemed to remember it was a bolt gun. I think tacfoly posted info from the UK about the same thing as I recall.

·
Registered
651 Posts
From what I can gather from just a short period of time. There were problems with split necks, powder jelling and squibs thus lodging bullets in the bore. Most of the problem ammo was the 20 grain version.
In the early days CCI did in fact make most of if not all of the 17 HMR ammunition. Winchester eventually started making their own at some point.
Wood Air gun Table Trigger Hardwood

I have a Savage 93R bull barrel that is extremely accurate and the Accu-Trigger is superb. I have shot many rounds out of this fine rifle and have not had one single hiccup.
Regarding the split necks, I really don’t know if I have had any as rim fire is usually 1 shot and done.
I’m curious to know what the question was!

·
Premium Member
6,329 Posts
Here is the original post on this subject.

Now, I do not now or have ever had a .17 rifle. But this is not the first time I have heard of this problem.
Our Gun Club Range had one blow up on a member about three years ago. Do not know what rifle. Just it was a .17 bolt action. However, he had Winchester and CCI ammo he was shooting. All I was told. But, that rifle was ruined.
The ammo he had with him had a lot of those cracks in the casing. So related to this I suspect.

·
Premium Member
I like guns....
3,203 Posts
Take pictures, lots of. Document it. Could help you in the future. Well, to be honest, we'd like to see the failure points too. We like pictures here..😁😉

·
Administrator
27,134 Posts
Re: manufacture of .17 HMR ammo- it is done differently that other rimfires. With other RF, they form the case, THEN add wet priming compound, spin the case to push primer compound out into the rim, dry them, then the rest of the steps.

But the skinny neck on fully formed 17 brass would prevent getting the primer in there. So the 17 gets primed, dried, THEN necked. but necking the brass was work hardening it, leading to cracks when it had the bullet installed. Gee, not a problem- when brass gets hardened, you anneal it by heating it, and letting it cool. but hold on- you can't heat a primed cartridge case! BANG!

Cases with cracked necks did not have sufficient tension to hold a jacketed bullet in the case when the primer fired, and the powder was not being fully lit- but the primer WOULD push the bullet into the barrel - leaving you with an obstructed bore for the next shot. Ungood.

CCI has found a way to anneal without heat- and what that is, they ain't saying. And they seem to have fixed the cracked neck problem.

Right now I have about 3K rounds of .17 HMR in the stash (Hey- I caught a good sale- OK?) and the case necks are OK on ammo loaded in the past few years.

My rifle is a Savage 93R17, added a bipod and some pretty fair glass, and it is about the closest thing I have owned to a death ray. From the bench with no wind, have shot quarter inch sized groups at 100 yards, witnessed by our Range Officer. :giggle:

·
Premium Member
I like guns....
3,203 Posts
So rimfire cartridges go's though a cartridge spin process?? Hmm. Interesting. Not trying to get off track from the original question. Just asking

·
Premium Member
I like guns....
3,203 Posts
Re: manufacture of .17 HMR ammo- it is done differently that other rimfires. With other RF, they form the case, THEN add wet priming compound, spin the case to push primer compound out into the rim, dry them, then the rest of the steps.

But the skinny neck on fully formed 17 brass would prevent getting the primer in there. So the 17 gets primed, dried, THEN necked. but necking the brass was work hardening it, leading to cracks when it had the bullet installed. Gee, not a problem- when brass gets hardened, you anneal it by heating it, and letting it cool. but hold on- you can't heat a primed cartridge case! BANG!

Cases with cracked necks did not have sufficient tension to hold a jacketed bullet in the case when the primer fired, and the powder was not being fully lit- but the primer WOULD push the bullet into the barrel - leaving you with an obstructed bore for the next shot. Ungood.

CCI has found a way to anneal without heat- and what that is, they ain't saying. And they seem to have fixed the cracked neck problem.

Right now I have about 3K rounds of .17 HMR in the stash (Hey- I caught a good sale- OK?) and the case necks are OK on ammo loaded in the past few years.

My rifle is a Savage 93R17, added a bipod and some pretty fair glass, and it is about the closest thing I have owned to a death ray. From the bench with no wind, have shot quarter inch sized groups at 100 yards, witnessed by our Range Officer. :giggle:
Pictures man..😁

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
I'm on the edge of swapping the scopes my 9317R Plain Jane rifle. These little guns a solid good performers. I have not shot mine recently.

The only ammo problem here was with some Winchester ammo that was an abomination. Split cases and misfires. Fortunately, no damaged gun. I stick with CCI's since there never has been a problem with that brand. All this with Winchester was some years back.

Got coyotes in the neighbor hood.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I had planned on going on a Coyote hunt the next time I go to my camp and this thread has really opened my eyes about checking the 17HMR ammo that I have in my stash. Some of it I bought quite some time ago, some just a few months ago. They will be checked under a lighted magnifying glass and weighed.

A great big thanks to the OP. You just might have saved me and anyone else that reads this thread from doing great harm to ourselves.
My hat is off to you sir.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts