Firearms Talk banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know, I know, these are ultrapremium Revolvers. so expensive they might as well not exist for most of us.
But as enthusiast I want to open this discussion..:
So the Manurhin 73 is getting imported to the USA by Berettanow.
Its is also an extreme premium Revolver like the Python.
Except for the early hiccup's most seem to agree that finish trigger strength and accuracy of the new Python are as good or better than the original.

Korth Revolvers cost even more .

The MR73 MSRPs for more than twice the cost of the Python and suddenly the new Python doesn't seem so expensive anymore.
The Manurhin is advertised as the strongest revolver in the world and is said Manurhin is said to have "tool steel" as its frame...

The 4.25 inch Python weighs 2 ounces more than the 4.25 inch GP100, despite the GP100 having a very thick frame, in part because its cast not forged, and the GP100 despite being only cast at 40 oz empty weight has an incredible reputation as a strong revolver, called by some "the strongest".

So the Python despite being forged still is 2 ounces heavier than the same configuration GP100 with its cast (and therefore thicker per strenght) steel.
So the new Python has to be noticably stronger than even the famous-for-its-strength GP100.

My gut feeling tells me the Python should come pretty close in accuracy and trigger to that $3300 Manurhin.
Its seems the last 5% of performance are usually the most expensive.

But I have zero data or experience to back any that up, its a mix of speculation and barely educated guesswork.

Speculation and discussion by the true revolver cognoscenti on here is requested.

Of course true comparative data is still sparse at this point but who knows maybe someone here has shot both?

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
You are assuming that forged is stronger than cast. The investment casting Ruger uses is easily as strong as most forging. These high end revolvers interest me a great deal but I would never assume they are stronger than a Ruger. High end revolvers have a certain amount of hand fitting and tuning at the end to make them run perfectly. Ruger does not finish a gun very well but for the price I’ll buy the Ruger and finish it myself.

Reactions: Bigcat

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
If I had the money I would love a Korth revolver. A 4 inch mongoose would be my choice but at $3500 it’s well out of my price range.

·
Banned
13,224 Posts
I will never be able to review the two revolvers in question. In fact, the only person I know who owns a Python would not be able to review it either; it has never been fired...... I will say this, when someone calls a revolver invincible, it brings my thought processes back to the unsinkable Titanic. It is called flying in the face of fate.

French weapons should all be made out of tool steel, they are dropped more often than shot. ;)

Reactions: lewwallace

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
I feel competent if anyone would like to donate one of each for my review purposes.

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
French weapons should all be made out of tool steel, they are dropped more often than shot. ;)
I think the French get a undeserved bad rap.
Rember Napoleon? They were basically the "Nazis" of the early 1800s running roughshod across all of Europe until they overextend themselves by attacking Russia before their war with Britain was decided.
Sound familiar?
They fought hard in WW1, and France was considered the pre-eminent military power of Europe in the 1930s.
Adolf Hitler called them "The best soldiers in Europe after us" and there were times when French troops gave the Germans a shellacking.
The French volunteers in the SS "Charlemagne" Division (named after the last King of when Germany and France were still unified as the Frankish empire) were as good as any German SS soldier and famously among the last defenders of the Reichstag.
As for the manurhin it was made in Moempelgard or Montbeliard a formerly German area of France.

Same with the Italians... they often get a bad rap too.. but their Ariete Divsion fought to destruction to cover the withdrawal of the Afrika Crops after ElAlamein, their Naval Special Forces time and again dealt significant damage to the British Fleet over the course of the war and their main fleet made significant contributions to the Axis war effort in the Mediterranean.
Many big German Operations would not have been possible without the Regia Marina.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know, I know, these are ultrapremium Revolvers. so expensive they might as well not exist for most of us.
But as enthusiast I want to open this discussion..:
So the Manurhin 73 is getting imported to the USA by Berettanow.
Its is also an extreme premium Revolver like the Python.
Except for the early hiccup's most seem to agree that finish trigger strength and accuracy of the new Python are as good or better than the original.

Korth Revolvers cost even more .

The MR73 MSRPs for more than twice the cost of the Python and suddenly the new Python doesn't seem so expensive anymore.
The Manurhin is advertised as the strongest revolver in the world and is said Manurhin is said to have "tool steel" as its frame...

The 4.25 inch Python weighs 2 ounces more than the 4.25 inch GP100, despite the GP100 having a very thick frame, in part because its cast not forged, and the GP100 despite being only cast at 40 oz empty weight has an incredible reputation as a strong revolver, called by some "the strongest".

So the Python despite being forged still is 2 ounces heavier than the same configuration GP100 with its cast (and therefore thicker per strenght) steel.
So the new Python has to be noticably stronger than even the famous-for-its-strength GP100.

My gut feeling tells me the Python should come pretty close in accuracy and trigger to that $3300 Manurhin.
Its seems the last 5% of performance are usually the most expensive.

But I have zero data or experience to back any that up, its a mix of speculation and barely educated guesswork.

Speculation and discussion by the true revolver cognoscenti on here is requested.

Of course true comparative data is still sparse at this point but who knows maybe someone here has shot both?
I own, a 6” Python as well as a 6” MR73, 3” MR73, and a 3” Korth Mongoose. Of course I have shot all of these. I’m sorry, there is no comparison, the 6” MR73 is head and shoulders above the Python, it’s not even close. Also The 3” MR73 and 3”Korth are both excellent guns with craftsmanship far beyond the Python. It’s comparing guns that are basically built by hand from the finest materials with a gun that isn’t, that doesn’t mean the Python is a bad gun, the others are just on a completely different level. I am not a fantastic marksman by any means and don’t pretend to be, all of the guns, including the Python, make me better than I actually am. The MR73’s give you the impression they will last, well pretty much forever. Just my take and everybody is different,

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I own, a 6” Python as well as a 6” MR73, 3” MR73, and a 3” Korth Mongoose. Of course I have shot all of these. I’m sorry, there is no comparison, the 6” MR73 is head and shoulders above the Python, it’s not even close. Also The 3” MR73 and 3”Korth are both excellent guns with craftsmanship far beyond the Python. It’s comparing guns that are basically built by hand from the finest materials with a gun that isn’t, that doesn’t mean the Python is a bad gun, the others are just on a completely different level. I am not a fantastic marksman by any means and don’t pretend to be, all of the guns, including the Python, make me better than I actually am. The MR73’s give you the impression they will last, well pretty much forever. Just my take and everybody is different,
Thank you so much for these insights!
Is your Python a new generation one or an old generation one? :)

Also Welcome to Firearmstalk!!! :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts