Anyone here a military helo pilot? Any branch

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by nopistons93, Oct 1, 2010.

1. nopistons93

nopistons93 New Member

Whats up yall,

I'm just looking to talk to someone that is currently or has been recently a helicopter pilot in any military branch. I'm debating my options and want to hear from the true source, not my cpt. here at ROTC.

thanks!

2. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I was an Army Helo. guy, but not so recently. I'm still invloved with many folk who are or were recently flying for the Army. What's the question, maybe we can puzzle it out for you. :cool:

3. gorknoids

gorknoids New Member

Any airplane where the wings move faster than the fuselage is not natural.

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

I work on the flight sims for the Navy, would that help?

5. Jo da Plumbr

Jo da Plumbr New Member

I think this young man is looking for career advice. This is from his intro.

6. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

I wasn't a Pilot but was a Crew Chief in the Marines on H-53D/E. There are plenty of former Military and current Military here that can help, all you have to do is ask.

7. danf_fl

Sometimes being a Nukee is better than being a slow moving target in the sky. If ducks can be shot out the air, so can egg beaters. (That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  8. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Yes, have spent some time flying for US Army. Long ago, in a galaxy, far, far away (1960 and 70s) but what are your questions?

9. nopistons93

nopistons93 New Member

You guys got it right, I'm looking for career advice here. I'm about going through my masters in engineering right now, but I want to be a pilot. Not sure if my odds are any better than a 18 year old kid out of high school, which is basically my question. Is it worth me trying at this point in my life? I believe that I really want to fly, and I would give it my best try if I have a decent shot at making it. BTW I fit all weight, height, vision, ect ect requirements so thats not the problem. I'm also pretty certain I would pass the flight test as well.

10. Shihan

Shihan Active Member Lifetime Supporter

When I was in the Marines, there was a LCpl that was a crew chief on 53's and he did an inter service transfer and become a Warrant Officer in the Army to fly H-60's.

You can always try the National Guard, ask about becoming a Warrant Officer Helicopter pilot. You must enlist to be considered for WO.

It is an option. Hope I help a little.

11. danf_fl

Hey, do it while you can. Check out the ROTC program. The Navy has more aircraft than the Air Force. The Army does not rely on radio instruments for location like the Navy (it is kind of hard to find a ship on the ocean using visual reference only). The Marines have a hard time with some of their helicopters, most are placed in harm's way. And the Coast Guard will have you flying to save some lobster fisherman in hurricane type weather.

12. RedWineKline

RedWineKline New Member

Nah... but I was in Patriot Missiles. Im real good at shooting them down:D

13. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

If flying is what you want from your military experience, then the Army's Warrant Officer Program is the way to go. Regular commissioned officers can also choose Aviation as a branch selection in the Army if you want. With your education a commission may be something you want to do. With that, you will be eligible for positions of command that a Warrant wouldn't have.

I went into the Army right of high school and graduated from flight school when I was just 19. I had no flying experience prior to the Army, but was highly motivated to succeed because failure would have meant an enlisted man's infantry assignment in Vietnam. I did spend a year in Vietnam, but flying over it was way better than walking through it.

As a Warrant Officer my job title was "pilot" and that's all the Army could make me do and I was happy to do just that. A Warrant Officer enjoys a position in the military that somewhere between the enlisted and commissioned ranks and its good duty. For you depending on your desire for additional responsibility it may be different and no one can make that decision but you.

As far as your age and education I wouldn't say it is a handicap. We had people of all ages and educational backgrounds that graduated from my flight school class. It's really more a question of motivation to succeed than anything else.

Please keep us informed of what you decide and good luck to you! :cool:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  14. nopistons93

nopistons93 New Member

I spoke with my ROTC cpt about my situation basically, and he recommended that I not do warrant officer route since I would be risking going into the ARMY as an enlisted man if I do not make flight school. If I don't make flight school as an officer, I would be putting down the Corp. of Engineers (in which I have a masters degree in engineering at that time) or the chemical corp which would suck hah.

Basically, what I want is free flight training and to get paid while doing it. I know the WO fly a heck of a lot more (or usually do anyway), but honestly if I get the training and can fly a bit, I'd like to be an officer in the military.

So you guys say that the navy is also a good option to look into? I'm not dead set on any actual craft platform, I would fly attack, support, lift group, ect ect. I don't NEED to be a black hawk pilot to be happy :cool:

15. pmanton

pmanton Member

Post your question on Pilots of America. There are a lot of active and ex military pilots there who will answer your question.

Cheers:

Paul
    Salome. AZ

16. Snakedriver

Snakedriver New Member

I would have to agree with your ROTC CPT.. You have the education, so why not take the commission. After they mature and season a little many Warrants take commissions and go on to have very successful military careers.

As I said, depending on the needs of the service you may be able to select Aviation as a branch and spend your time working around aircraft occupations & commands, or you can select Engineers or Chemical as a branch and then apply for flight school. I'm not sure how hard it is to get an aviator slot in those branches though. While I did know some pilots that were form other branches, most were from the Infantry, Artillery or Armor branches.

You should definitely look at the Air Force and the Navy. They have great flying programs. Obviously because of their business taking a commission in the Air Force and then successfully completing flight school will give the opportunity to do a lot of flying. While they have plenty of them, I'm not sure how tough it is to get a helo. assignment though. Fixed wing is fun too though.

That's all I know, now maybe someone else will chime in. :cool: