Anyone help with my Saiga 12 Ejecting issue?

Discussion in 'General Shotgun Discussion' started by bizy, Jun 12, 2010.

1. bizy

bizy New Member

I've only fired 2.75" low brass in my Saiga 12. However it only ejects part of the time.. Any suggestions? Can it be the ammo? I worked the action by hand a bunch and it always cycles correct.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2010
  2. DrumJunkie

DrumJunkie New Member

If it where me I'd want to try a few different types of ammo before I would want to look at it as a problem in the weapon.

3. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

Saiga 12 is a semi-auto shotgun. It reloads itself automatically by the energy of the fired load. It'll work better if you use High Brass Loads. My Remington 1100 will act the same way if I use standard load ammo.

4. bizy

bizy New Member

Different Ammo

You are right.. I used 3" high brass and it worked perfect. However, it will wreck my already wrecked shoulder..

5. UnderFire

UnderFire New Member

bizy, sorry to hear about your "wrecked shoulder". If you have health issues with your shoulder shotguns may not be for you. High Brass Loads do have more recoil compared to standard loads. A couple of things that might help you are a recoil pad, some after-market ones slip over the stock, and using 2 3/4" High Brass shells, instead of 3". Good Luck!!

6. lkd

lkd New Member

This is interesting, because at my last shotgun match (USPSA-sponsored), I definitely had problems with _non-brass_ loads. Much to my disappointment, I'm learning that the Saiga-12 can be VERY finicky. I will definitely switch to high brass next time around -- anybody have recommended brands that behave well in a Saiga-12?

One thing I also have are feeding problems. Sometimes a shell isn't being fed properly and it will jam and compress part of the crimp on the front -- which leaves me with a shell that must be manually ejected (and a pain to clear when you're on a timer). Anybody have this problem too? Can it be fixed, or is this just something to expect with 2 3/4" shells?

7. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

My saiga works just fine with light loads. Does yours have the gas cut off valve? If not timed correctly, this could cause problems.

8. RobDennis

RobDennis New Member

My S12 tends to do that with cheap ammo ( cheap ammo= walmart green box remington brand) ive shot other walmart cheap brands and had no problems. IMO some of the cheap bulk wally type ammo is underpowered for semi auto shotguns.
    Also make sure the gas valve is set to the light load setting

9. willshoum

willshoum New Member

Cheap Ammo an Auto loaders

Why not go with a pump and avoid all the crap about bad ammo. At least your pump will still eject the spent shell. Besides I'lll take the pump over the auto any day WTSHTF!!! What is stove pipe jamming on an ak 47.:eek::)

10. RobDennis

RobDennis New Member

In a SHTF situation I don't plan on using bird shot.:D S12s only have a problem with low power/cheap ammo. There are gunsmiths that can fix the problem. its a simple fix.

11. bizy

bizy New Member

Whine Bag

Ya, I'm just a whine bag.. I'm like most old men.. Body parts sccreech & pop if they are still working.. LOL.. I had forgot about the slip on recoil and the screw on pad. I think someone also said something about a weaker spring, that also would work. But with a monster gun a person should use a monster load. If I used a weaker recoil and fireing spring, would that do damage over time to the reciever parts?

Appreciate the replies guys/gals

12. RobDennis

RobDennis New Member

Stove pipe is the term used when a shell or bullet casing gets stuck straight up and down in the bolt carrier group and the body of the gun/slide/ejection port.
    Take your pistol and open the slide then place a bullet straight up and down sticking out of the action. then release the slide until the bullet casing is held by the slide and the bullet stands up straight.
    Thats stove piping. Not sure who came up with the term

13. mohctep

mohctep New Member

14. mybuddy40glock

mybuddy40glock New Member

i just bought a saiga 12 last weekend.unfortunatelly i had the same problem with jams.i was thinking it was the high capacity 10 round mad from promag.A little disappointing considering the price paid for these.:cool:
    if there is any other advice for this problem,i would be thankful for it.im also thinking of the tapco bolt on pistol grip with car stock,and adrum if anyone has an opinion on these items.

15. RobDennis

RobDennis New Member

This^^^

I had the exact same problem with the same ammo. Remington green box but not winchester. With federal it was a 97% success rate. I got pretty good at clearing and firing. I think on a BNIB gun there may be a little loosening up before it starts wearing in a little bit.

16. HotGuns

HotGuns Member

The Saiga shotguns need to be broken in like most other guns. Some of them will work with light loads, right out of the box, others will not.

There are several fixes for this. One is to take off the gas block and check the gas holes. Enlarging the gas holes in one way to do it. Another way is to use a 1911 spring on the front part of the upper spring assembly. The front part of the hammer may be impeding the progress of the bolt when it comes back and trys to pick up another shell. The hammer can be removed and ground down so that the bolt touches it only when it needs too.

There is a website, Saiga12.com that is devoted to the Saiga 12 and the common problems. Study up on it an all of your questions will be answered by people that have been there and done that.

forum.Saiga-12.com