anyone have the m48 hawk?

Discussion in 'Other Weapons' started by mountainman13, Dec 12, 2013.

1. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

My father was bugging me for days for a Christmas list so I just told him I wanted the m48 hawk and kukri. (The spike hawk I really want is over $300 just for the head. Lol)
    I am constantly breaking hawk handles and recently broke my throwing Bowie (it was a gift that served me well for 20 years :( ).

I'm hoping this will be a decent modern version that can handle the abuse.

2. Chestys1911

Chestys1911 New Member

I get my tomahawks from Trackofthewolf.com. Wood handles so they break after a while too. I like the forged tomahawks better because they are much stronger. Post review of you new hawk

3. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I usually go through track or crazy crow. Most of my wooden hawk handles are mostly glue at this point. They just don't handle the abuse.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Firearms Talk mobile app

4. Chestys1911

Chestys1911 New Member

I never tried Crazy crow. Me and my Dad throw alot during the summer for beers. We were making throwing knives too but we suck at that

5. kfox75

kfox75 Well-Known Member Supporter

I have one, and I have been abusing it for the last 2 years. I help my friends set up their demo cars, and I strip junkers for scrap. Even with the modern plastic dashboards, removing one can be a major PITA. I have used my M 48 to pry panels off of the cars, remove trim, bust out windshields, punch through sheet metal, and make dashboards look like something chewed them up and spit them out.

The weight and balance of the M-48 are good, and it has turned out to be a good thrower. it is slightly head heavy, but I was able to off set this by putting on the paracord wrap. All in all, I am very pleased with mine, and obviously, I would recommend the M-48 to others who don't mind the "tacticool look of it.

I also carry it while hunting, fishing, or camping. While it is not a good choice for hammering stakes or splitting wood, it is decent at removing limbs from and shortening fire wood. Given that I bowhunt here in NY (No firearms allowed during archery hunts for deer or bear) it is what I carry JIC I have to track a bear that someone in my group has shot. I would much rather have a shotgun, but rules are rules. Kind of one of those "better than nothing" type deals.

So far, I have not done any extreme testing on my M-48, but it has survived handle bounces off of A, B, and C pillars with little more than some paint smeared on the handle. It has taken a direct hit, mid handle, with a 12 pound sledge, and shrugged it off. The handle gets pretty slippery when it gets wet, so I would recommend a paracord wrap on the lower half of the handle for better grip during use. I have to re-point the rear spike about ever 10 strikes on sheet metal or so, but it has held up well for what I put it through.

A couple pictures of my outdoor companions. These are my workers, I have a couple more that are antiques that have been handed down in my family over the last 6 generations. They are locked up in the safe, and I really don't feel like digging through the safe right now. I'll break them out sometime, and post pics.

Attached Files:

6. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Thanks for the write up. Exactly what I wanted to hear. I don't intend to kill cars with it , but it will get used and abused and thrown alot. It'll be my go to hawk so that the hand forged wood handled one can stay in one piece until I need it for competitions etc.

better judged by twelve than carried by six.

7. FullautoUSA

FullautoUSA Welcoming Committee/ Resident Pellet Gunner Lifetime Supporter

I bought one about a year ago. I don't know much about tactical tomahawks, but this is great.

Attached Files:

8. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

It definitely Sounds like I can hit the woods with it and be good to go.

9. FullautoUSA

I would say so.

10. Chief-Long-Iron

Chief-Long-Iron New Member

Well I don't own an M48, personally I have a SOG Fasthawk or somethin like that, it works great for everything except cutting real wood,

I have heard very good things about Cold Steels hawks with wooden handles, ex: their spike hawk, riflemans hawk and pipe hawk all have good reviews, but they are wooden handled.

11. kfox75

Never intended to use mine on a car either until a friend had to strip out 4 of them in one week. One of my other friends was there with his $15 off brand hawk, and we decided to do a head to head test on both. I figured I was only out $50 if i broke mine, so why not. Both held up well, but mine had better penetration on sheet metal and plastic due to shape and weight advantages. It now resides in my Go Bag\hunting pack, mounted on my pistol belt, and I will order another one to keep in my truck's toolbox in the spring. It will be there for emergencies like the one we had back over the summer.

got a call from a friend of my daughter about a tree down across the road two streets over. Rather than call the town at 23:30, my family and I went to take care of it ourselves. I keep 2 axes, a bow saw, and an E-Tool in my tool box, along with a set of 12 volt work lights. We grabbed the chain saw, and headed out to remove the problem. It turned out to be a 6 to 7 inch thick sapling, but that could still be a problem for some vehicles. Took care of it within a couple minutes, and headed home.

I may never need it, but a hawk would be a nice addition to my truck kit if something like this happens again. If nothing else, it could be used to pop a window if I wind up in the drink, and have to self rescue. Folks do wind up driving into Lake Erie from time to time. :eek:

Compared to mine, yours looks brand new.

12. FullautoUSA

I haven't used mine that much, just for whacking stuff for fun.

13. Axxe55

Axxe55 The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

i might have to check into that one. i have been looking to get something like that for keeping in my toolbox on my truck for emergencies and such. my first thought was something with a hickory handle in case i needed to replace the handle if needed. but if it takes that much abuse, i might have to rethink that a bit.

thanks for the review.

14. Gizord1

Gizord1 New Member

Not a big fan of "tacticool" stuff (which is all of M48's stuff), but it does seem like a good hawk.
    I recently got a SOG fasthawk (it was 20 bucks at Wally World so why not?). It's ok. My biggest gripe is the steel. They used 420HC steel and it seems they didn't heat treat it, which is a big no-no in my book. 420HC steel isn't a good knife/axe steel unless properly heat treated. So as you can imagine, it's a soft steel. The handle of the hawk is built like a damn tank. It does do ok for a $20 hawk, I will say that, but it's such a good design that they screwed up with the crappy steel for the job. Then again, it did say "tactical" under usage section on the box. I guess they figured some "zombie fanatic" would get it for their "tactical belt rig" and never use it except for the occasional toss at a tree in the backyard. As far as chopping, it does great on small trees when it's sharp. Oh, that's another thing I don't like. They put a knife edge on a tomahawk. I think it should be one big beveled edge. As for throwing, it does good, but it's a different balance than I'm used to.

15. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

A warning to any of you considering purchasing the m48 kukri. It does come razor sharp and the handle is slippery.

Attached Files:

16. kfox75

I had the same concern Axxe, so what I did was I unbolted the handle and made a pattern. When I manage to break the handle, I know how far down and wide I need to make my cuts into a good piece of hickory, and where I need to drill and do a wire reinforcement wrap to bring it back to life. A good hammer handle from a hardware store should work fairly well, given the similar size and shape of the hawk's handle.

I say when and not if because I know me. If there is a way to break it, I will find it. Usually at the worst possible time and place. And my friends wonder why every part I have replaced on each of my trucks has the longest possible warranty on it. :D

Nice to know. I get tired of the first thing I have to do with a new blade always being putting a good edge on it. Be careful with that thing MM.

17. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

I took the dremel to the handle of the kukri. It now has a very aggressive grip. I highly recommend any who buys it to do the same.

18. FullautoUSA

What is it called, m48 kukri? Is it the m48 kommando kukri?

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  19. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Yep.....