Anyone have some good custom 1911 ideas?

Discussion in '1911 Forum' started by sputnik1988, Jun 1, 2012.

1. sputnik1988

sputnik1988 Active Member

I bought my 'old' Taurus 1911 back a few months ago after seeing that it's problems had lessened. After a few trips with it to the range (back yard) and a little 'torture testing' I can't make it malfunction.:)

Anyway, since it's now reliable, I would like to change it up a little. It's still a budget 1911 so I'm not planning on spending $500 on it. I REALLY like the old GI 1911A1s, but this isn't that style. So, any ideas?

I plan to have it Duracoated, maybe with a parkerized look, but I'm not sure yet. Any color suggestions or parts ideas are welcomed, but nothing too over the top. Post pics please.

BTW, it's an aluminium framed model. (Not mine in the pic, but identical)

Attached Files:

2. mountainman13

mountainman13 New Member

Well I don't have pics but...you could change out the grips,install a mag well,get fiber optic tritium sights.

3. Argyle_Armoring

Argyle_Armoring New Member

Here is what I did with a customer's Colt 1911

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

4. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The nice thing about 1911's is being able to customize.
    The bad thing about 1911's is being able to customize.

Under cut the trigger guard.
    Change the grips.
    Paint the frame and slide in different colors (College colors, military branch you served in, etc)

But keep orange off of it (denotes a "toy" gun)

5. sputnik1988

What do you mean by 'under cut'?

6. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

The area by the mag release could be ground a little more up towards the trigger and that will allow a higher grip on the frame.

Not much is needed to make a difference.

7. GunRunner

GunRunner New Member

If yours looks just like that one then I'd say their isn't a lot left really. It looks like it has a speed hammer, and skeleton trigger. I would suggest a mag well extension and some laser grips for target shooting and self defensive purposes. I'd check out the Spinco recoil reduction system its an awsome tool in my opinion and its only my opinion but it is awsome.

8. jakebrake

jakebrake New Member

just my 2 cents.

don't go all crazy flashy. only make changes that improve function. i keep seeing these high dollar, ultra flash, full honk raceguns that the owner can't shoot, or is afraid to shoot.

put on a set of grips you like, put on sights that work for you, buy 3 more mags, a lot more ammo, and go put it to good use.

again...that's just me. now, please excuse me,..i have to go. i'm full polishing the frame on my stainless 1911.

9. Overkill0084

Overkill0084 Active Member

Maybe a black or OD. Keep it tame IMHO. I'm kind of partial to the look that Dan Wesson has achieved with their black finish. But that might a bit too subdued for some. However, flaming orange could be a bit hard to sell on down the road.
    If nothing else get a fresh set of grips. A set of VZ or nice custom wood grips is a great way to add appeal.

10. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Laser grips, something for recoil, few performance parts (short trigger), if your feeling pricey, then a magwell. These are all things that make your gun feel better, without you fearing for its safety or affecting appearance much. Maybe not a race gun, but feels great to use. But if you insist on something a little more extravagant, I won't stop you.

11. sputnik1988

I've been looking around and I'm thinking maybe a Wilson Combat hammer, G.I. style guide rod, night sights, wood grips and a parkerized looking finish. Does anyone have a picture of what that would look like? Doesn't have to be a Taurus.

12. cuba

cuba New Member

I did my own undercut trigger guard and it's probably one of the most functional mods I've done, also shortened and countersunk the slide stop hole.

[​IMG]

also added a S&A mag well mainspring housing, changed the MSH stock 17.4lb stock main spring for a 23lb spring, and added a EGW small radius bottom firing pin stop to perceive less recoil and to return quicker to battery.

[​IMG]

To date I have about 18.5K rounds though it with all the original pins, extractor, ejector, trigger, and fire controls bone stock and with out any FTF that could not be attributed to my reloads not being crimped correctly or bad brass, and no FTE what so ever.

It will print a cluster like this on paper at 20 yard all day long

[​IMG]

13. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Here is my Taurus after about $200 worth of parts and modifications. The sky is the limit....our maybe just your bank account.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. sputnik1988

:eek: I'm in love... that's what I want, though not the grips I had in mind.

Would you mind giving me a rundown of what you've done? What kind of finish is that?

15. Olympus

Olympus New Member

That is a bead blast on a stainless gun. Had the rollmarks removed. New fiber optic front sight, millet adjustable rear sight, removed the ambi and switched to a single safety, and replaced the lockable Taurus hammer.

16. Kenney

Kenney New Member

What kind of grips are those?

17. HOSSFLY

HOSSFLY New Member

GUD JOB!
    I'm a fan of a GOOD magwell myself - Grips & magwell/MSH are all I did to mine-

[​IMG]

18. Olympus

Olympus New Member

Those are exceptional quality desert ironwood burl.

19. Kenney

Kenney New Member

Some of the best wood grips I've seen.

20. LikeABoss

LikeABoss Member Lifetime Supporter