Anyone Have Handgun Whitetail Success?

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by ninjatoth, Sep 12, 2011.

1. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

This thursday is my state's early doe season,I plan on using my S&W 629 .44 mag,I have no idea of what to expect,whether a good shot will drop that deer or if it will run forever,I just don't have any .44 mag handgun hunting experience.Experienced handgun hunter advice would be helpful.Thanks.

2. trip286

trip286 New Member

I haven't hunted with a hand gun, but my mom hunts with a .44 mag lever action and it has dropped deer dead in their tracks. I'm pretty sure the rifle packs a little more MV but heck it's still the same round. Now I have seen hog hunters use a S&W .357 mag with no trouble at all, considering the size differences in the rounds and the game, I would guess your golden with a well placed shot.

3. lotsoffreetime

lotsoffreetime New Member

I have shot a few deer with a 41mag you should have no problem

4. remi514

remi514 New Member

.44 mag will work fine just be sure to make reasonable shots dont push it to far. I've seen deer shot with a snub nose .357 so just make sure you can make the shot good luck. Im also considering going out early doe but am questioning it because there is a big buck around so i dont wanna scare him off the property. good luck:D

5. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I know what you mean,I KNOW--I mean I KNOW there is a 300lb swamp donkey buck lurking around my hunting area,I heard him last year many times but never seen him.I don't worry too much,I think in 2 months months he will forget any sense at all and just chase another doe that is leaving pee from a bottle near my permanent blind;)

6. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

I'm Elmer Keith could take game with a 44 magnum at 200+ yards you can too ;).

7. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

Not everyone is Elmer.

I hunt Virginia Whitetail (smaller than Western deer) with a 10" 357 magnum- heavy hardcast bulets, keep my shots at 50 yards or less. The distance you can hold all your shots in a 5 inch circle is your range.

Within limits, do your part, the 44 will do its part.

8. Firearms4ever

Firearms4ever New Member

Very true. I have to say I would have loved to meet Elmer. I also agree about shooting within your range, and knowing your limitations.

9. jpattersonnh

jpattersonnh Active Member

I use a Model 19 S&W .357 w/ iron sights. W/ a 6" Barrel it is great w/ 158gr SP ammo, again 50 yards and under.

10. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

With my stock sights you are putting me at about 25 yards,the problem is my blind is atop a hill 40 yards from the deer trail.Maybe i'll take a neckshot,if I hit she's down,if I miss I miss.

11. williamsingr

williamsingr New Member

Handgun Success

I use a 9mm with hollow points as back up and have dropped several deer with it, one shot one kill no problem, you will be fine !

12. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

My ex father in law has killed maybe,100+ deer in his life and told me that before too,that even a 9mm will drop them,not that you should use it as your primary weapon,but what are you supposed to do when a dumb deer walks 25 ft from you when your field dressing another deer right?;)He has used so many calibers including .22-250,he got so much teasing by other hunters for it,but he was a hell of a shot and always went for the neck no matter what,he always had success.

13. RMc

RMc Member

180 - 200 grain WFN...

...at 1100 fps or more will give complete penetration from any angle on deer. The flat meplat is the same size as on the original Keith .44SWC, so with complete penetration on deer size game the .357 is just as effective on this class of game.

14. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I never posted any updates from my Sept 15-20 season because I was too mad to.I shot at 2 does and missed them both on the same day.I have the main season coming up for bucks and does Nov 15-30 and I have put alot more range time in and know my 44 a whole lot better,I can group 4" at 25 yards all day long now with open sights.If I miss a deer again i'm pulling out my Win94 or Rem870 and am gonna tcb on the next deer.

15. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

First off DON'T shoot for the neck. Use 240gr+ loads. They don't have to be any of the super loads out there. Just place a shot like most bow or rifle hunters would do at the chest area right behind the shoulder OR if a deer only is offering a walking toward you shot again place your round so it will still take lung tissue and heart of you can. Stay away from hard cast. They will break both shoulders if thats all you want but DON'T expand. Even the cheap 240gr SP ammo will if no other good option is given will break down one or both shoulders. For next season get a scope mount from wiegand and a desent red dot and that alone will improve hits big time and allows easier tracking on target . I to have used a 357 mag years ago for deer and they fall and run just like a rifle shot. Place your bullet well and wait.

16. theboarbuster

theboarbuster New Member

I have killed a few deer with a Ruger Red Hawk 44mag. I always used factory 240 jsp.
    I also used some of the 180 jhps.

17. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

Depends on what kind of handgun you are talking about, I have killed White-tail with my Rem. XP100.

18. hardluk1

hardluk1 Active Member

ninjatoth Opening tread was about 44mag revolvers!! I had a 308 pistol too but not the same ether is it.

19. ninjatoth

ninjatoth New Member

I am beging to reilize that my particular S&W like the standard stuff better than the hot stuff.

S&W 629 6"

Well,it is a handgun and it isnt where I live,legally it is,but in in the shotgun/pistol zone of MI,necked down caliber pistols are not allowed.

20. 303tom

303tom Well-Known Member

NO, the question was (Anyone Have Handgun Whitetail Success?)