Firearms Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really want one of those beauties or the CZ 75 Compact (who am I kidding I'll own both by year's end). I know some people carry these somewhat larger for carry options (at least they seem that way based on modern technologies and designs) and I just wanted to know if you think you could carry these with a basic graphics designed T-Shirt and Cargo shorts with a belt. And if so how do you do it. If not what do you think? I know that a lot of people like really small guns for carry. I was carrying a P11 at one point while everyone else was carrying PF9s and Single stacks. But the p11 is still super light, obviously. I also carried a 24 ounce Rossi R351 IWB very often though however. I'm a bigger guy, 6'3. I have a broad build and while I've lost 80 lbs this last year I'm still a big 'un and I THINK I can MAYBE get away with this option with the right attire. Suggestions? Can I do it IWB you think? I've been eyeballing the Inox version and I would love to get the checkered wood grips for it too!

PLEASE NOT: I am currently about to reside in California and want a California compliant gun. My other guns are not. That means my firearms cannot have more than a 10+1 capacity so going up in capacity with other firearms means nothing for me. The other thing is that most of the guns in California are on the larger side. Most are no ideal for concealed carry based on size. I will not be staying in California forever but for temporary I want a carry piece and I want it to be quality.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure you can carry IWB. 4" barrel, 5" tall. Heck, i have a full size M9 i carry IWB. As for capacity, most firearms can be had with reduced capacity magazines to be compliant.
do you recommend a leather holster? pancake? What have you found best to keep it tight to the body? And do you carry at a 11 or 1 o'clock or do you carry more the 4 and 7 o clock or something else? I personally carry to my front.

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
Assuming your attire and body shape (curves) at the spot in question allow for flat carry, there shouldn't be a reason why you can't carry that size of gun and hide it reasonably well.

Have carried the CZ P-01, and it's one chunky little customer. Doesn't hide easily, compared to many similar sidearms. Requires attire with some good drape around the carry spot, along with a physique that has a "hollow" in the area to cover up the larger profile. But, it can be done.

Can probably do a shoulder holster, if around your waist doesn't turn out well. (Such as, via a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster, for example.)

·
Premium Member
4,433 Posts
I have a full leather IWB, but that is pretty bulky. I will generally use a hybrid at 4 O'clock for the M9. But the compact is much smaller, so you have more options.
I dont carry appendix because of driving...also, Glock leg would be bad enough...

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
do you recommend a leather holster? pancake? What have you found best to keep it tight to the body?
Something that conforms most closly to your body's shape at that spot. Very low ride helps, IMO, but if too extreme it can interfere with effective grabbing of the grip when drawing. The cant of the holster can also help, depending on body shape there. Depends on your girlish figure, so to speak, to a great degree. Not everyone can carry the same gun in the same holster equally concealed, not in my experience.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Assuming your attire and body shape (curves) at the spot in question allow for flat carry, there shouldn't be a reason why you can't carry that size of gun and hide it reasonably well.

Have carried the CZ P-01, and it's one chunky little customer. Doesn't hide easily, compared to many similar sidearms. Requires attire with some good drape around the carry spot, along with a physique that has a "hollow" in the area to cover up the larger profile. But, it can be done.

Can probably do a shoulder holster, if around your waist doesn't turn out well. (Such as, via a Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster, for example.)
I dont think I'll be wearing anything to cover up a shoulder holster 50 miles from the Mexican border lol. But I do appreciate your input on this. Basically I wear shirts that could be considered a size and a half too large for me. I find wearing dark colors better conceals in most cases. Black T shirts with a noisy graphics design to distract from the area of carry as well as a flashy football hat or something. Things that take away notice from those areas I dont want looked at. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
I dont think I'll be wearing anything to cover up a shoulder holster 50 miles from the Mexican border lol. But I do appreciate your input on this. Basically I wear shirts that could be considered a size and a half too large for me. I find wearing dark colors better conceals in most cases. Black T shirts with a noisy graphics design to distract from the area of carry as well as a flashy football hat or something. Things that take away notice from those areas I dont want looked at. ;)
Another fan of Hawaiian "camp" shirts. A kindred spirit, yeah?

You probably know this, of course, but those things are great at providing sufficient billowy drape to cover most anything, along with some great colors/patterns to visually break up any lines or bulges that a person might briefly see. With the right colors/patterns, it all but disappears.

Don't know if your area's that tolerant of such shirts, or whether (regarding Aloha shirts) they're more of a "Say 'aloha' to it!" group. But they can work well. Light, airy, conceal well.

·
Administrator
1,234 Posts
I dont think I'll be wearing anything to cover up a shoulder holster
I carry in UnderTech UnderCover tank tops. I wear a Hawaiian or fishing shirt (even solid colors) over them as cover. I have successfully carried my Glock 17 with no problems. I am 5'8" and about 185 pounds, so not a real big guy. I don't see why you couldn't carry that way.

Reactions: TheAzusanResident

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I carry in UnderTech UnderCover tank tops. I wear a Hawaiian or fishing shirt (even solid colors) over them as cover. I have successfully carried my Glock 17 with no problems. I am 5'8" and about 185 pounds, so not a real big guy. I don't see why you couldn't carry that way.
I'm not at all savvy on holsters. I used to carry an inexpensive revolver like my old rossie r351 or my bersa thunder 380 cc IWB or just pocket carry a little .25 bobcat. Nowadays I prefer to go no lighter than a .38 special for caliber. After seeing all the things going on I might have to retract my choice for revolver and go with a reliable, sturdier, higher end, larger built firearm like the berettas, cz, or glock. I'm going to take full advantage of the maximum capacity I can legally carry just in case. I've always thought you'd need like a jacket or something for those shoulder holster rigs. Btw arent there disadvantages to quick draws or if someone is closing quickly with a knife or something with the shoulder holster? I suppose I could always look into a DAO LCR in .38 as a quick access back up or something.

·
Administrator
1,234 Posts
arent there disadvantages to quick draws or if someone is closing quickly with a knif
I believe there are advantages and disadvantages to each type and position of carry. We each choose our own battles.

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
I believe there are advantages and disadvantages to each type and position of carry. We each choose our own battles.
Yup.

Like, say, bicycle saddles. So subjective, that little issue of comfort. Everyone's "butt meter" is different. With holsters, everybody's body shape and composition varies, such that what's comfortable for one person might be an intolerable pain for another.

I can't be the only one who has a collection of a couple dozen different holsters that I've tried over the years. Just the way it goes, when trying out a possible holster, position, cant, for a given sidearm.

Reactions: OldGnome

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yup.

Like, say, bicycle saddles. So subjective, that little issue of comfort. Everyone's "butt meter" is different. With holsters, everybody's body shape and composition varies, such that what's comfortable for one person might be an intolerable pain for another.

I can't be the only one who has a collection of a couple dozen different holsters that I've tried over the years. Just the way it goes, when trying out a possible holster, position, cant, for a given sidearm.
if we were allowed to dry fire and holster test before leaving the gun shop I'd imagine I would save a lot of money tbh

·
Premium Member
6,533 Posts
if we were allowed to dry fire and holster test before leaving the gun shop I'd imagine I would save a lot of money tbh
Now, there are some gun shops that'll allow you to use "snap caps" to pull the trigger three or four times, to get the feel of it. If you know you're going to be inquiring about, say, .380ACP, 9mm and .45ACP, then go get a group of snap caps in those calibers prior to heading to shops to examine their guns. In shops where they don't zip-tie the actions, it's entirely likely that they'll allow you to "fire" a couple of the guns using "snap caps." Won't hurt to ask.

Better still, you can go to a "rental" range where they've got a number of different handguns to try out. Rent 'em, fire 'em, then perhaps offer to clean 'em. (I used to do this at a small gun shop and range, back in the 1990s. Got to fire quite a number of the guns without having to pay for the ammo, since I was willing to clean them afterwards ... and we'd chat way, while he was operating the store and while I was cleaning. Win/win.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts