Anyone have a Ruger .44 carbine?

Discussion in 'General Rifle Discussion' started by Ruger44, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Ruger44

Ruger44 New Member

Anyone out there own or have used the Ruger .44 carbine? I have had this little rifle for many years now and it has served me well. Nice and easy to carry, and in the carbine configuration it really tames the .44 cartridge. Nice little gun in brushy areas like northern Vermont. It's too bad they stopped making it.

2. CA357

CA357 New Member Supporter

I had one and loved it, I sold it and I've missed it ever since. Enjoy yours. :cool:

3. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

i have one.. wish i got to shoot it more.....

4. Theunsb

Theunsb New Member

5. Ruger44

Ruger44 New Member

I'll post some when I finish the rifle. I am in the process of finishing up the stock. Had some wear and tear on it from over the years. Can't wait untill it's done!

6. JonM

JonM Moderator

ive got one made in 1976. wonderful shooter surprisingly accurate. fun little rifle. not for sale.

7. Leathermarshmallow

Leathermarshmallow New Member

I have the newer carbine, the Deerfield. It is accurate and I like it. My son thinks it is a waste and wants me to sell it. I just can't let go of it...yet.

8. billdeserthills

billdeserthills New Member

I have one & for some reason I am more accurate with it just using the standard sights than any other rifle I own with standard sights

9. USEBOTHHANDS

USEBOTHHANDS New Member

awesome little rifle, my dad's had his since about 1979 or so. looks just like the older ruger 10/22 with the barrel band (i reckon this is where their look came from), IDK. flip rear sight and smooth as silk firing...........i love that little gun.

10. JonM

JonM Moderator

Oh your boy is very wrong the ruger carbine gets every bit of juice there is in the 44 magnum. Its 44mag pistols that waste a lot of that cartrridges potential.

11. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

I have one and it's not going anywhere. It's a 5 digit serial number peep sight model made in 1961 and wears an equally old Weaver K 2.5. IMO it's the deadliest close range brush gun in existence.

12. Budd

Budd New Member

leathermarshmello:

I owned a original Ruger 44 Carbine back in 1972-3. I sold it and regretted selling it almost immediatly. In 2001 I purchased the Ruger Deerfield Carbine and I think it is even better than the orginal 44 Carbine. I am keeping this one for good. Tell your Son alot of people think that a 44 carbine is a near perfect combination of power, accuracy, and handy portability, with good handling qualities. Hold on to yours, you won't be sorry

Budd

13. Scratchammo

Scratchammo New Member

My step dad owns one & it's an awesome weapon, it kicks like a Hi Point.

14. SoL

SoL New Member

this is all news to my foreign ears, this sounds amazing!
    a .44 would have some serious stopping power and (if I'm correct)
    is capable of effective suppression, right?
    This sounds like exactly the type of rifle I want for the bush.

15. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

You can't go wrong with .44mag with carbine ballistics for close/brush range. Just think-5 shots of .44mag joy as fast as you can pull the trigger. Mine has accounted for several deer that I may or may not gotten if I'd been using something else.