Anyone have 1911 .45 acp barrel dimensions and tolerances?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing Forum' started by BrianS, Jan 8, 2011.

1. BrianS

BrianS New Member

My son bought a brand new 1911 colt .45 acp pistol a couple years ago. It has always had a jamming problem. Since he hasn't shot it that much, he'd make excuses, "maybe it was the crappy ammo.." anyway, I've finally convinced him he has to get it fixed. He called colt, and to send it there it will cost $135 shipping overnight. That kind of sucks but its reality. Anyway, he said he thought about taking it too a gunsmith. I reminded him that I am a tool and die maker and anything a gunsmith can do, I can do just as well. I explained to him that I am betting that the entry into the barrel is probably out of tolerance on the small side pobably as little as a few tenths and we could lap it out pretty easy if we had the dimensions and tolerances of a .45 acp barrel. But I can't seem to find a drawing on the internet. Is there anyone on the forum that can direct me to a drawing with dimensions and tolerances of a .45 acp barrel? Particularly where the round is chambered? What makes me think this, is he finally bought some expensive hollow point rounds and loaded up the gun and chambered a round. Then he removed the magazine and went to draw back the slide to remove the chambered round and it was really hard to draw back. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2011
  2. spittinfire

spittinfire New Member Supporter

Before you do anything....what kind of gun is it? Is it a failure to feed or failure to eject? Have you tried getting a better magazine? Even higher end production 1911's can benefit greatly in reliability with the use of a quaqlity magazine. Thanks to Canebreak I'm a fan of Tripp Research Cobra mags but many people like Wilson Combat and have good luck with them.

Were there any marks on the unfired round that was ejected?

Here is a link to the drawings you asked for.

http://www.m1911.org/M1911-A1_REDUX.pdf

Please try a few things before chuckin up parts in the mill or lathe. The fix may be easier then you think.

3. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I'd check the specks on the barrel lug. Sounds like a lock-up issue.

Suck it up and have Colt make it right.

Unless you're in Guam, I think you should find overnight shipping for less than $135.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  4. BrianS

BrianS New Member

It has always seemed to be a feeding issue as I was watching him fire the gun a couple weeks ago and the slide seemed to move sluggishly during firing. But as he was preparing to box it up, he said he was having trouble even drawing the slide back to remove chambered round. For now, I just want to take some gage pins and check size of the barrel entry. Thanks for all your advise so far. it is a 1911 model Colt .45. Are the mags that come with these guns just junk? Do you really think this could have to do with the magazine?

5. Tackleberry1

Tackleberry1 New Member

I think Cane is correct, sounds like a lock up issue with the barrel lug.

6. canebrake

canebrake New Member

The Colts mags I have are some of the best OEM mags I've used. Even with that testimonial I still have had issues. After switching to the Tripp Gen 2 Cobra Mags several years ago, I can recommend them without hesitation.

Tripp Research 1911 Mags

Not sure what "...the slide seemed to move sluggishly..." describes? Do you mean it visually looked sluggish? May be my old eyes but I can't recall watching a slide's movement for diagnosis. Way too fast for me to determine issues. If you are seeing it, you have a real problem!

If you think this may be a timing issue, change the recoil spring. Inspect the guide rod and spring plug for witness marks.

Inspect the barrel and slide locking lugs for burrs or witness marks.

Firing Cycle

Be sure the barrel bushing is not binding.

1911 Reliability Secrets

If nothing jumps out at you try lapping-in the slide and barrel.

Slide Lapping 101

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  7. willfully armed

willfully armed New Member

First, I wouldn't take .1 off of anything firearms related. You know better. Were talking thousandths.

OEM mags are never better than aftermarket.

You can ship fedex 2-day for under $30

8. danf_fl

danf_fl Retired Supporter

Kuhnhausen books on the 1911 are valuable assets for any 1911a1 owner.

9. jca1

jca1 New Member

Call Colt, ask for Brent. Explain to him the whole story very politely. See what he can do.

Your son should have sent this gun back to Colt in the beginning.

10. BrianS

BrianS New Member

Tenths in Machining is commonly known as Tenths of a thousanth

11. BrianS

BrianS New Member

absolutely true. Thanks for the contact. I will have him talk to Brent.

12. BrianS

BrianS New Member

Please pardon my ignorance, but I'm looking at the parts list for the Barrel Lug and cant find it on the list. Is it the same thing as the barrel bushing? Is their another name for it?

13. stalkingbear

stalkingbear Active Member

No the barrel bushing is in the front and goes around the barrel. The lug they're talking about is cuts in the slide/barrel for the barrel to lock in the slide. It's possible you may need a longer barrel link.

14. sloejoe

sloejoe New Member

Is this a stainless frame with a stainless slide? Sometimes that combo tends to be stickey--try a good gun grease--there is a special grease for the ss combo-- on the slide rails & see if that does anything. Sometimes a small solution is overlooked because the problem seems to be more complex. Good luck--

15. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Is the pistol properly greased?

What is the total round count through it now?

16. c3shooter

c3shooter Administrator Staff Member

If your son ships the pistol to Colt, it will need to go UPS or FedEx Next day- about $70. However, you can find a DEALER in your area that can MAIL it by US Mail- it is legal for a DEALER or MANUFACTURER to mail handguns- but not us unwashed masses types. Even after paying a dealer for his time, and a $10 one price Priority Mail box, it will be cheaper. My advice- send it back. PS- go to gunbroker.com, use the "find a ffl" feature, based on his zip code, listing of dealers that have registered as doing firearm transfers. colt can return the sidearm directly to him when finished.

17. mohr

mohr New Member

.45 Barrel drawing

Many years ago I found this drawind in the web.

Cheers.