Anyone Following The Boeing 737 MAX 8 Crashes?

Discussion in 'The Club House' started by alsaqr, Mar 20, 2019.

1. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

The latest I heard is the 'system' malfunctioned so the pilots shut it off. BUT them they turned it back on:eek: while still on climb out!!! To me that defies ALL logic, SOP, and common sense!:( Thus 'pilot error'! That said, this effort to put more flight control in the hands of 'technology' and less in the hands of humans is a BAD thing!:(

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    schnuffleupagus likes this.
  2. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Here is part of a story from CNN: (the emphasis is mine)

"Every time something happens ... we learn from it," a senior Boeing official told reporters, reflecting on lessons from the Lion Air and Ethiopian Airlines crashes, less than five months apart, that had killed nearly 350 people. "There are one-off occurrences that happen -- accidents like we've just experienced."
    In the week-plus since that announcement, it has become increasingly clear that the two accidents were not unfortunate "one-off occurrences," the software change Boeing touted would not be enough, and the industry is facing a serious test of its mettle. The challenges of crafting deeper, more expensive fixes, addressing structural deficiencies in the certification process, and reassuring shaken fliers around the world have become more apparent.
    Boeing has said that its software change needs additional weeks of work, and has seemed to accept some responsibility for designing a system in need of improvement.

Fueled in part by damning preliminary reports that show how starkly similar the two crashes were, the moment of reckoning is challenging corporations, regulators, and investigators to take a critical look at the design and inspection of aircraft, and question whether decisions and long-standing methods -- employed for practical reasons -- put the flying public at risk.

Now, ask yourself what "practical reasons" mean. It is my contention that you could swap the word practical, with profitable without changing the meaning of the phrase.

3. schnuffleupagus

schnuffleupagus Well-Known Member

CNN, and everything that springs from Ted Turner requires supporting evidence. Too many times CNN released skewed reports, going back to the 1980's gives me pause to believe anything coming out of Atlanta.

ellis36 and JimRau like this.
  4. manta

manta Well-Known Member Supporter

The only reason this system was put on the 737 MAX was because the design made the aircraft liable to pitch up. They were putting in a fix for a issue the design caused by adding bigger engines and moving them forward.
    It's easy to blame the pilots and arrogantly assume American pilots are better trained and capable than other countries. The FACT that Boeing are having to make changes to the aircraft before it will be allowed in the air, that would suggest it has more problems than poor pilots or training. I am sure lessons will be leaned fixes put in place and the aircraft will be back in the sky's soon.

PS Boeing should not be assuming anything, regarding pilot training.

5. TimKS

TimKS Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

That's it....change the subject when the truth is shown.

6. Chainfire

Chainfire Well-Known Member Supporter

Since you apparently have nothing to add to a conversation among adults, and I will not engage you in a name calling contest, I shall bid you Adieu.

7. schnuffleupagus

8. manta

Why have the aircraft being grounded world wide. ? According to you the aircraft is just fine just bad pilots. Makes you wonder why they have being grounded in America where of course the pilots are much better that them third world pilots.

Its arrogant to assume the pilots don't speak and understand English as well as you and me, and are not just as well trained as America pilots. Unless you know the pilots and their piloting and language skills. Are you saying this accident could not have happened in similar circumstances if the pilots were American. ?

schnuffleupagus and alsaqr like this.
  9. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

I think he was saying that just maybe American pilots may receive better training.

JimRau likes this.
  10. manta

They possibly are i don't know, so i am not going to make the assumption that it was down to the pilots poor training. If that was the case the aircraft would not be grounded world wide, and Boeing would not be bringing in a fix for a problem that does not exist.

11. big shrek

big shrek Well-Known Member

That little item has saved me much grief over the years...literally pouring over my manuals for every important job item. A couple months previous got a Perfect Score on a DOT pullover with Class A Inspection (that's an Under Truck with crawler, brake & hose inspection). DOT cop asked me for a copy of my Elog, easily sent it to him in EMail form since I'd actually read my ELog manual and practiced how to do that with my own EMail. Officer was pleasantly surprised that my truck was in perfect order, clean inside & out, and knew what I was doing...he'd been dealing with Dump Truck drivers all day who were walking/driving clusterfubars. Always good to make your company look professional to the LEO's, that way they don't worry about your guys and they go bother the idiots ;)

It's like reading your M16 manual and committing it to memory in Boot. It's your JOB, don't you want to know everything about it?? Heck, in a lot of cases, your equipment can either save or end your life, depending on how well you know its workings!! "Remember your training, it will keep you alive!!"

The professional reads the manuals, practices with the gear, and seeks out further information about what they are doing, so they can do it to the best of their abilities!

12. schnuffleupagus

Takeoffs and landings of the 737MAX are, logically distributed around the world where the clients run the aircraft. With 45 being operated in the United States and 26 in Canada, 30 in China and none of these jets have crashed. Statistics are a thing.

jigs-n-fixture and manta like this.
  13. schnuffleupagus

POLITICS!
    POLITICS are why the aircraft are grounded world wide.

towboater and manta like this.
  14. JimRau

JimRau Well-Known Member Supporter

Or in other words I AM BETTER THAN YOU THEREFORE I KNOW WHAT IS BEST, SO YOU NEED SET DOWN AND SHUT UP!:rolleyes:

ellis36 likes this.
  15. manta

Why would Trump, a good friend of Boeing ground them. Even American pilots are concerned about the safety of the aircraft.

16. towboater

towboater Well-Known Member

Well for one thing, the media does not have his back. The media protected the previous president while trying their best to destroy our present one. There were still many liberals fussing about how long it took Trump to ground them.

schnuffleupagus and manta like this.
  17. alsaqr

alsaqr Well-Known Member Supporter

OMG!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa The gadawful media hates Republicans.

jigs-n-fixture likes this.
  18. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Do you seriously suggest that this is untrue?

towboater likes this.
  19. partdeux

partdeux Well-Known Member Supporter

Planes were designed on Obama's watch

towboater likes this.
  20. freefall

freefall Well-Known Member

Oh come on now! If you think ANYONE would let Captain Stutterpants anywheres NEAR an aircraft deign!!! Oy vey...