Anyone familiar with Star firearms?

Discussion in 'General Handgun Discussion' started by GlockStar, Sep 10, 2011.

1. GlockStar

GlockStar New Member

I have a firestar m43. Anyone own or know anything about this discontinued firearms manufacturer?

2. jyo

jyo New Member

M43

Many years ago when they first came out, I bought the first M43 9mm in L.A.---neat little pistol---shot as well as my full-size 9mm Hi Power (which was very well)---a bit heavy, but very small---I carried it during the Rodney King Riots of 1992---had five extra mags. Star was by far the best of the Spanish pistols---they are all out of production now for many many years. Enjoy yours! Oh, the only reason I sold it was because I got a Kahr CW9 pistol to replace it---MUCH lighter.

3. moonpie

moonpie New Member

4. Wambli

Wambli New Member

My first 1911 "style" gun was a Star PD, a gun ahead of it's time. The little pistol was a pleasure to carry and shoot, danged accurate and reliable. Sold it years ago to finance my first Colt, wish I had kept it.

5. canebrake

canebrake New Member

I have a Star Model B 9mm.

[​IMG]

It's a 65 year old fun to shoot gun, but not something I'd elevate to carry status.

Parts (mags) are hard to find!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  6. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

Star made very high quality pistols, for a very long time.

I'm currently down to one, a PD.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Trez

Trez Well-Known Member

I had a Firestar 9mm, I wish I never sold it... It was tiny but was heavy like a brick and had very little recoil or jump.. :(

8. GlockStar

GlockStar New Member

Thanks for the responses guys. Didn't expect so many favorible opinions. I bought this one for 300 but I was a little sour when I learned it was discontinued (admittedly only at my self). Cane, I did seem to pay out the ear for my spare mag (cunning old man at the gunshop!). I guess my biggest concern is giving this baby a nice cleaning. The magazine well is rather sticky. Do y'all believe I can find a local gunsmith who is knowledgeable enough to work on it ? If not,what do you suggest?

9. GunDoc

GunDoc New Member

I have a Firestar Plus, which is the double stack 9mm and it's one of my favorite handguns. Gun Digest online sells a great pdf on Star schematics for a couple of dollars and I would (and have) download a copy. Keep an eye on CDNN as mags will show up from time to time for the different models and can be picked up in the under $20 range.

From the uninformed you'll hear a bunch of bashing over your Spanish pistole, but those of us who know, as you soon will, that they were for the most part well made, reliable and concealable arms.

Congrats on your new Star.

10. moonpie

moonpie New Member

M14sRock, i was wanting a PD when i found my BM.

11. M14sRock

M14sRock New Member

BM is a great pistol, bro. I need one. We used to sell the bright chrome and faux pearl stocks for $229, brand new. I should have bought a dozen. My cost was about $169, IIRC.

12. I've had one or two...

Like most of the guns made in the Basque region of Spain, they're pretty well made. They are mostly copies of other - tested - designs, with an occasional design input of their own.

The biggest problems (of which I'm aware) was the metallurgy was hit and miss. One pistol would be dandy, the next rather soft in the frame and slide, so wear accelerated.

However, if you have one after all this time, it's probably a pretty good one. Don't over load it - they will handle full charge ammo, but no point in running it full charge all the time.

13. rmr

rmr New Member

I have a .40 Firestar and i love it. It's my CC pistol and it works out just great, although it's just a tad on the heavy side. But it's a great pistol and I enjoy shooting it.

Attached Files:

14. alxltd1

alxltd1 New Member

I have a Star BKS with alloy frame in 9mm. Bought it new many years ago and it still serves well.

15. NvRbanArms

NvRbanArms New Member

My father had a star 22lr. I have it now. Don't know anything about it. But it shoots and it's a nice little solid pistol. Anyone know of any star 22lrs that can help me out on finding out if this is a good pistol. It looks old too.

16. blitzen25cat

blitzen25cat New Member

I have a Star Model Super in 9MM Largo-about the same ballistics as the 38 super. Best regards Dick

17. Durangokid

Durangokid New Member

The Star PD was ahead of its time. I had a Star Mdle F .22 auto that took many rabbits in early 1960s. They were fair firearms back in the day.:)

18. masterPsmith

masterPsmith New Member

Still have three Stars at this time and all are great and reliable shooters. BKM 9mm, Firestar .40 and a Firestar .45ACP. On occation, both Firestars are used as carry guns as the are accurate and 100% reliable with all ammo that has been put through them over the years. Jim.......

19. DodgerBlue

DodgerBlue New Member

I think Bret is very familair with the Star 9mm
    [​IMG]

20. chucksolo69

chucksolo69 New Member

Star Model B here. Excellent pistol and very accurate.