Anyone ever used this ammo for hunting?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by ANAKINANAYA, Apr 23, 2012.

1. ANAKINANAYA

ANAKINANAYA New Member

I have some 64 Grain 223 winchester ranger ammo that i would like to use to shoot deer. Is this large enough and they are soft points.

2. robocop10mm

robocop10mm Lifetime Supporting Member Lifetime Supporter

The 64 gr Power Points are excellent bullets. They work extremely well for coyotes and other vermin (2 legged). They are my choice for my patrol rifle. I would not recommend them for deer. The .223 is too light for deer (IMHO)

3. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

ive killed dozens of deer at 25-250 yards, first shot with my mini-14 over the past 35 years

if you've never shot a deer with a 223 then you shouldn't comment

if you have and it didn't drop in its tracks, then its because YOU didn't hit it right.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  4. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

Why so rude?

5. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

no rude intent, i just suspect a pinch of comment from someone who may not have actual first hand experience with the round, just speaking ballistically. sometimes ballistic numbers and actuality conflict.

6. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

You do realize he isnt the first one to say the .223 is lacking in stopping power and therefore not the go to round for deer hunting for most people. He also said its his opinion, no reason to assume he cant shoot or that he doesnt have any experience with the round.

For the record, no i havent shot a deer with my AR or the .223 round because its illegal in my state.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  7. ANAKINANAYA

ANAKINANAYA New Member

ok time out guys, thanks for the help and im not shooting an ar using a model 700

8. gr8wapiti

gr8wapiti New Member

In Colorado its illegal to hunt ANY big game with anything under 30 cal. Not sure about any other states.

9. dragunovsks

dragunovsks New Member

Its still a .223 right.

10. NickySantoro

NickySantoro New Member

OP,
    You're referring to the PowerPoint I assume. The round will be adequate for any Texas deer if you are careful with shot placement and don't try to go beyond 200 yards. I've only seen one deer taken with a PP. Distance was about 75 yards and shot placement was good. Deer jumped, ran about 10 yards then piled up. All this being said, if this is to be primarily a deer rifle, I'd go with at least .243. Mine is 30-06.
    FWIW
    YMMV

11. Model70

Model70 Member

Better check your proclamation a little better. Page 5.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/SiteCollectionDocuments/DOW/RulesRegs/Regulations/Ch02.pdf

.24 is the minimum big game cal in Colorado.

I know a lot of guys that swear a 22-250 is perfect for deer. It has a velocity advantage over the .223 though.

12. Shade

Shade New Member

I have shot some where between 6-8 deer with a .223 Rem, and yes
    from an AR-15. It is as light a round I would personally ever try and
    is not a round I would recommend for a first time hunter. But if you
    are a good and confident hunter, I see no reason to hunt with it as
    long as you have an appropriate bullet and it is legal where you hunt.

I did not take it as rude, but rather to the point, and leaving no doubt
    where he stood on the matter.

It is illegal in my home state of Illinois to hunt deer with a rifle. Shotguns,
    muzzleloaders and in select areas handguns are allowed. In Wisconsin
    where I also hunt, .22 centerfire rifles are legal for Whitetails.

Mod 70, thanks for saving me the look up; I know I have hunted a
    7mm legally in CO, before. But I did not know the low end limit.

13. Shade

Shade New Member

I do not have personal experience with that ammo. I suggest looking
    on Winchester's website and see if they recommend it for hunting.

14. lonyaeger

lonyaeger New Member

I wasn't talking about his response to YOU, but about his response to Robocop.

15. oldpapps

oldpapps New Member

I have no experience with the listed loading, sorry I can' help.

Continuing:

Each state will have it's own requirements and we must follow them to not get in hot water.

For general information, I know of several mule deer that became dinner due to 50 grain blitz bullets fired out of a Rem 700 ADL chambered in .222 Rem, many, many years a go. All head shots, one shot each, only as needed to feed a family.

Depending upon the size of deer in your area, the listed round could very well be suitable. But, think of this, you are loaded with suitable, perhaps marginal rounds and the biggest mamoo buck you have ever seen walks out and stands dead still at 350 yards, time for only one shot...... Too bad you didn't have something a little bigger or with more range. Plan for the worst and be ready for all options.

For the record, I like the .223/5.56 round.

16. hairbear1

hairbear1 Active Member

Jeeez you blokes are lucky in the fact that you can shoot deer with virtually any calibre you want where as here in Australia in most cases minimum calibre is .243.
    I for one would not attempt to drop a deer with anything less than a .270 and something like a 130 gn GameKing but my go to rifle for everything upto buffalo here in Australia is the 30/06AI using 165gn Game Kings

17. Shade

Shade New Member

You all need a Second Amendment...
    I would guess that among Deer hunters shooting with a .224 bullet is
    uncommon where it is legal. Most of my hunting is still done with
    .284 or .308 caliber bullets.

BTW, how big are your deer? Our, whitetails here in the upper midwest
    are often 80-100 kg.

18. cottontop

cottontop Guest

30 caliber?

Are you serious? You mean hunting deer in Colorado would be illegal with a 7mm Rem. Magnum, but legal w/ 7.62x39?
    cottontop

19. sniper762

sniper762 New Member

dont forget...hunting and gun laws are NOT written by hunters, shooters nor anyone even remotely knowledgeable of either.